Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: roya1b100d ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 09:43PM

Let's say Utah became their own country and obviously with LDS church wealth and organization they would set up their own government and run the new nation. What would it look like? Would it be like Utah is today and a more "normal" society? Or would it end up like Mormon Saudi Arabia with religious courts and moral police?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 10:19PM

North Korea

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 10:32PM

What DID the Mormon theocratic state look like? Just read up on the history of the Territory of Deseret.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 10:54PM

I remember many years ago thinking that the world would be a much nicer place if everyone was mormon.

And dull dull dull dull dull.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 11:33PM

It would all come down to stupid rules....and me and stupid rules don't like each other much.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 11:23PM

I think it would be like Utah was back when Brigham Young was alive. A total theocracy, lots of really bad things happened but most of them got covered up.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 11:26PM

Posted by: anon this time ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 11:55PM

Like the MTC, but bigger!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 07, 2017 09:46AM

Depends on who ends up Dictator.

Oaks would be like Nazi Germany. His championing of "religious freedom" means he would be free do inflict his own religion on anyone else and there would be concentration camps for those who needed some tough love. You will obey. Period. Gays and women would be in big trouble. Courts of Love would be televised. Newspapers would be require to print an article a day on how persecuted the Mormons are.

Bednar would be like North Korea--Bednar Jong Il, with the need to be worshipped and to have his every word and action glorified and revered. The Sons of Helaman could goose step in a the 24th parade for him every year with every banner hailing his sanctity. There would be lots of plates with his picture on them for sale everywhere. Every household would have them by law. People would be beheaded for calling him 'Pickle Man." Gays and women would be in big trouble.

Monson as dictator,of course, would have to be taxidermed and things would remain pretty much as they are now with everyone pretending he is still alive. Gays and women would still be in big trouble, because, that is the cornerstone of Mormonism.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 07, 2017 02:44PM

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 07, 2017 10:02AM

The Utah legislature already operates as a Theocracy. But it probably would be like Nazi Germany; home teachers and visiting teachers already act as little minion spies. In fact, a few days ago, I was out in the front yard getting ready to do some flower planting, and my husband came out with my sun hat. My hands were dirty, so I told him to put it on for me. He did, and playfully patted my head with his hands. All of a sudden, a little girl who lives kitty corner across the street came running out of her front door and stood in her front yard watching us! Her mom had been watching and told the girl to come out and see what was going on!

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: June 07, 2017 10:17AM

Very much a theocracy, with re-education camps for non believers and boat rockers. Women would have no rights and dress for women would be head to toe. Democracy would be out the window, no voting. All jobs would be assigned with very little pay discrepancy between a janitor and a doctor. It would be considered just a honor and a blessing to work for the Church. Obviously a lot of boys who seemed less worthy then others would be cast out of society because plural marriage would mean very few women available. The 15 would have access to the best groceries and housing. Those below would be pampered as well but not like the top 15. Anybody not white and delight some would be cast out for sure. No internet, news from the outside world would be controlled. I digress, it would be North Korea for sure.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: June 07, 2017 10:17AM

Like the bastard love child of an illicit union between North Korea and Utah. Good luck getting that image out of your head. Meh. -edz

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: June 07, 2017 10:53AM

Doncha think it looks a lot like Utah? I'm one who thinks Utah is really theocratic, with mormon leaders meeting with lawmakers, and most if not all lawmakers being mormons.

Posted by: anon 1010011 ( )
Date: June 07, 2017 10:55AM

Rexburg, ID

Posted by: unwill ( )
Date: June 11, 2017 03:19PM

anon 1010011 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rexburg, ID

Amen to that!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 07, 2017 11:41AM

Like a concentration camp under Stalin or Hitler.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 07, 2017 12:44PM

A muslim caliphate.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: June 07, 2017 06:13PM

It would be like Colorado City and Hilldale. Since they wouldn't have been pressured to stop practicing polygamy by the U.S. government. Warren Jeffs would be the prophet/dictator of the country.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 06:36PM

The Handmaid's Tale, when there was nothing to stop the extreme misogynist and patriarchal tendencies already inherent in Mormon leadership and theology.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 02:01PM

Mesa, AZ

Posted by: Wasatcher ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 11:07PM

Everything you own would become the commie cult's. But they'd call it "The United Order".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.