Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 07:18PM

**** See admin note at the end of the thread ****

Also for Amyjo and hie, pointing out to me recently that , in the same thread:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/search.php?2,search=,author=Honest+TBM,page=3,match_type=ALL,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL,match_threads=

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 12:37PM by Concrete Zipper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 07:27PM

Perhaps the best way to describe Honest TBM is as a caricature. Parody, satire, sarcasm are all ways to ridicule. Honest TBM is exaggerating to demonstrate a point.

Regardless, the context of Honest TBM's posts clearly indicate gross exaggeration. As witnessed by the strong objection to being a parody while simultaneously writing something absurd.

Posted by: Dallin H. Oaf ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 07:27PM

Cinda, it's parody. A very dry parody. Just about everyone else seems to get that, unless you insist that you're right and all the rest of us are wrong.

Even Admin has confirmed that it's parody.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1927762,1927928#msg-1927928

There are people who still maintain that Stephen Colbert wasn't parody, and that he was actually a conservative talk show host. They don't get it either.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 07:41PM

No , certainly not , apostle oaf, I am not saying that you , or anyone else is 'wrong' but I have noticed that , on occasion, Honest TBM's posts have disturbed/upset some individuals ( badassadam comes to mind ..;.by the way, haven'\t heard from him of late?). Regardless, on those occasions, I found myself,a nevermo, reaching out to those who expressed dismay at Honest TBm's posts, that they were , indeed , parody . n So ...excuse me , Oaf! .... and anyone else whom I may have offended in trying to be helpful.

Your comment that "everyone else seems to get that" is taken to indicate that I am 'less than' as far as understanding! Insulting, at best.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 08:09PM

Actually, parody done well may be an effective way of opening minds and helping some to see the absurdity of church teachings and claims. I love reading Honest TBM's posts as they are funny.

There is another guy who does parody well. I believe it is Elder Delaney's blog.

https://generalauthority.wordpress.com/

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1206038

Posted by: speckles ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 12:00AM

And don't forget President Paternoster !!!!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 08:50PM

It's parody to those who see it as such.

To those who don't, it isn't.

Has Honest TBM ever come out and said himself it's parody? Not once.
-
If he's so "honest," why not?

There is no requirement we all share the same sense of humor. But unless you're very into satire as that's how some read his posts here, it's lost on those who don't see it that way.

So there are two ways to read his posts. 1) Satire, or 2) He's serious.

Ex-Mos read him differently. A truer ex-Mormon would come out of the closet IMO to out himself. In his case, he buckles down that he's TBM.

And yes, Adam suffers from PTSD. To him, as satire it was most assuredly not funny. He pointed that out several times while he was here. Perhaps that was at least in part his motivation for leaving - he was dropping hints that he was going to. And then he did.

Posted by: Dallin H. Oaf ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 09:40PM

Oh, FFS.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1880675,1882316#msg-1882316
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1946578,1947160#msg-1947160
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1949319,1949406#msg-1949406

And if you open the the third one and keep reading down, you will see that *you personally responded* to one of Honest's subsequent posts. So if you didn't know that he had "confessed," you should have.

Date: June 08, 2017 10:19PM

While I don't presume to know what Adam's personal reasons were for leaving, those posts were upsetting to him based on his comments.

We all don't share the same sense of humor, nor is that a prerequisite for participating here. It is confusing to newbies to come here and read that, because they're looking for a venue for support, not satire.

That was the point I raised in my comment. I get the humor, but I do find it disturbing in this venue.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 10:09AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I don't presume to know what Adam's personal
> reasons were for leaving...

> It is
> confusing to newbies to come here and read that,
> because they're looking for a venue for support,
> not satire.

But you do presume to know what newbies who come here are 'looking for?'

Date: June 09, 2017 10:40AM

Adam was taken aback by those posts, and said so himself.

Others took note of it too, he wasn't the only one.

Their observations are valid, are they not?

Not that you seem to care what others think much.

Date: June 09, 2017 10:49AM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Their observations are valid, are they not?

For them. Not for every "newbie." Lots of different people come here for different reasons.

> Not that you seem to care what others think much.

And of course, you can't discuss something without insulting anyone who questions you. Such name-calling is far more likely to "offend" people than some satire is. You might want to think about that.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 08:58PM

I never thot he wasn't sincere.

He really is in a Kelly Ann Con kinda way.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 09:03PM

You need to scroll down further in the thread:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1946578,1947160#msg-1947160

Different strokes.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 09:45PM

It's one of those jokes where the point of it is to not admit
it's a joke . . . which also describes the Mormon Church.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 09:47PM

Yup.

Date: June 08, 2017 10:22PM

I've read those too, Shummy.

People seem to read with blinders on. They see what they want to and ignore the elephant in the middle of the room.

Just like in the 'days of yore.'

Boy, doesn't Honest TBM just love a good joke on the house?!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 12:14AM

Poe

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 01:12AM

Honest TBM struck me as a character. Kinda like how ziller writes in a very characteristic way

Date: June 09, 2017 09:52AM

Um...the post saying it isn't satire or parody was, of course, satire and parody.

Really.

And no, it's not me :)

Posted by: You don't know me ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 09:59AM

I haven't been around in a while.

Are we still discussing the quality of Honest TBM's parody/sarcasm/lampooning/satire/caricature?

Did s/he do something vile (recently)?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 10:46AM

Honest TBM's humor depends on not tipping his hat. I enjoy it immensely.

I misunderstood my own father's dry humor to the point that it caused serious problems in our relationship when I was young. All these years later I wish that I had understood him better, but I never wish that he had altered his style. He was very funny. I wish I had realized that earlier. It was me, not him.

Understanding is an acquired state of being. We aren't born with it. The more you open yourself up and experience things outside your own M.O., the more you are going to "get it." Takes a lot to offend me now. Still, don't like Tosh.O though. :)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 10:53AM

Done & Done Wrote:
The more you open yourself
> up and experience things outside your own M.O.,
> the more you are going to "get it." Takes a lot
> to offend me now. Still, don't like Tosh.O
> though. :)

That's a valid criticism. He's not funny or edgy, he's just another smarmy assbadger who's impressed with himself.

ETA: I do wonder though, do some posters here really not understand what dry humour is?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 10:54AM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: thexedman ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 12:12PM

As an exmonotanomo it refreshing to hear those old kind of thoughts I used to try to make myself think put so plainly that they are clearly ridiculous. When people are emotional they can read through posts quickly and misunderstand, but that can happen whether the post is satire or not.

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 12:37PM

We have a wide variety of posters with a wide variety of writing styles and interest areas. If we pulled posts just because some readers didn't like them, half of our regular posters would disappear.

If you think someone is trolling or causing a disruption, feel free to report the post. Don't expect this to be a safe space where nothing you read will challenge your ideas or sensibilities. If you don't like someone's posts, don't read them.

CZ (admin)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.