Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 10:08PM

In reality only 1% of the Mormon church is African American, while African Americans make up 3% of the population, so it's mostly lily white, but, I see that question asked a lot on different comment sections on social media and in newspaper stories comment sections regarding Mormon racism.

I used to ask myself that question as a Mormon, how could that Brother be Mormon knowing the history of racism in the Mormon church?

But then I realized how racist it was for me to even ask that question to myself. I mean, What difference does skin color make in determining right and wrong? If it's wrong, it's wrong. Plain and simple. No two words about it.

If it's not wrong, then don't pretend it is.
My conscience forced me to leave when I could no longer, in good conscience allow my children to be indoctrinated with the same naive, bogus racist myths I'd been brainwashed to believe. To think that our God turned people black when they sinned and white again when they repented. It's absurd. It's a myth that must be destroyed, brick by brick.
Or just blown to pieces.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xxxMMMooo ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 03:23AM

They shouldn't, any more than a white person would want to be a Nuwaubian or a follower of Moorish Science.

Unfortunately that ship has long sailed -- originally Mormonism was aimed only at "the lost sheep of the House of Israel," meaning certain Anglo-Saxon type people. But the marketing figures didn't work out for that long-term, so they had to expand their reach to no one's good. They can't step back now, especially with growth in white countries slow to nonexistent and growth in Africa expanding with new temples and so forth.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 04:08AM

Doesn't the church obfuscate its teachings of its past history? Like many other issues, converts are not taught the racial doctrine as it was understood, pre-1978.

Many of the church's youth are not aware of that fact, including the missionaries as they're sent 'into the field.'

For black converts, unless they'd been around pre-1978, or their parents were conscious of it and passed it on to their children, they simply aren't aware such a doctrine once existed - at least not until well after they've been baptized and confirmed members of the cult.

That's the only reason I can think as to why they might identify as LDS, until the blatant racism creeps in as the SLT article suggests it still is a prevalent attitude among certain Mormons.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 08:07AM

Patty Hearst syndrome?

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 09:08AM

Those few African-Americans who convert now probably do not know the history of Mormon racism because the mishies would never tell them. Unless they do their own research, unless they live in the Morridor, how would they know? it is presented to them as just another Christian Church but even better.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 09:18AM

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 10:47AM

Women are second class citizens in Mormonism, and always will be.

Never underestimate the power of denial and compartmentation.

Posted by: Son of Lehi ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 11:00AM

Don't you mean: "Why would any black person identify as Mormon?"

The lds religion didn't just have it in for "African-Americans," but rather, for all black people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.