Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 09:11AM

Surprise! There was no "blood of Canaan" in Egyptian populations until the slave trade. Egyptians were more closely related to inhabitants of the Levant.

https://www.google.com/amp/bigthink.com/philip-perry/were-the-ancient-egyptians-black-or-white-scientists-now-know.amp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 09:31AM

What?
You mean the whole Ham, Egyptus, Pharaoh story was wrong?
I'm stunned! :)

Date: June 14, 2017 02:50PM

LOL -- and the best part of the story? The land of Egypt was underwater when she "discovered" it. WTF!!??

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 09:39AM

There was a Nubian (Kush) invasion in about 800 BCE, IIRC, and I assumed that's why you see some of the of the pharoahs sculpted with such refined, exquisite features, like the model Iman, who hails from Somalia.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, along with 158 other things i'm wrong about.....

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 02:44PM

Yes, the 25th dynasty the black, Nubian kings. But there were
many Nubians in Egyptian society long before then. Egypt was a
very cosmopolitan society accepting any one, regardless of race,
who was willing to live by Maat.

The idea that dark-skinned races were not "enticing" (the BOM's
word) was not an idea from antiquity, but from the time and place
of Joseph Smith.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 10:11AM

Come now chicken...your over stating again...id place your wrongness at a mere 156 tops...give yourself more credit friend...jk of course...isnt it wonderful...isnt it narvelous that such a bonafide record such as the BofA is left for us to know so many of the great mysteries of the universe...one must surely admit that it is more entertaining fiction than that tired nodding monstrosity known as the BofM...i could not he more at peace if the whole whitmer family had sworn to it...gawd we sucked up some whoppers

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 10:31AM

Not to nitpick but that article is pretty suspect. It quotes the Business Insider, which quotes a Reuters article. Plus if you dig into the source article on Nature.com you come to realize that it only tested a small set of mummies mostly from Northern Egypt. So I'll ask.

Did you test any remains of the common people? Because it is a well established fact that the leaders of Egypt shared ancestry with many people from the Levant.

Did you test any older remains? Before there was massive cross culturization? Because it looks like the tests were on remains from the height of the Egyptian empire to fall of the Roman empire.

Oh, and from a Mormon standpoint this "study" confirms the Book of Abraham because the "blood of Canaan" is from the Levant

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 11:43AM

jacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, and from a Mormon standpoint this "study"
> confirms the Book of Abraham because the "blood of
> Canaan" is from the Levant

I'm pretty sure he meant "blood of Cain," not Canaan -- 'cause that's what the BoA claims :)

Date: June 14, 2017 02:44PM

"the blood of Canaan is from the Levant"

You are misunderstanding the way JS used the term "Blood of Canaan". He did not mean the Canaanites which are people of the Levant. He meant the descendants of Noah through Ham through Canaan. This 'person' Canaan was "cursed as pertaining to the priesthood" because Ham saw Noah drunk and naked in his tent. He is the person through whom the "curse of Cain" (to JS = black skin) was carried through the flood. Makes no sense I know, but what do you expect from JS.

Also, not a lot of Egyptian commoners mummified so DNa only available from upper class, so your point might be right. Remember though, in the B of A it was the RULERS of Egypt who were "cursed as pertaining to the priesthood."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2017 02:46PM by generationofvipers.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 12:18PM

I was under the impression that during Bible writing times, that when it referred to Egypt it wasn't actually referring to what we now know as Egypt. It was referring to the entirety of the known African Continent at the time by those who were writing.

In history, we've heard that when they refer to Egypt, it is also referring to the entirety of what they knew of the African Continent (instead of calling it Africa, they called it Egypt).

Thus all the wild beasts from Africa that the Romans got for their Coliseums were typically stated were gotten from Egypt, even though Egypt that we know now doesn't have all those types of animals.

However, there was also the idea that those from Asia Minor (which was not part of Egypt) were of the same genetic makeup of those from Greece (the Arab part didn't come till later with various invasions after the turn of the first millennia AD).

Those from Egypt of what we now know as Egypt has several theories. One was that there were two different classes. The upper class were also composed of a genetic make up similar to the Greeks, thus when we talk about Cleopatra, she was actually probably a lot closer to the Romans in looks than she was to what we see in Egypt today.

Others, those who celebrate their African Heritage in the US, at times say that Cleopatra was completely similar in appearance to what those in Central Africa are today, and that they are proud of their African Heritage.

That's one contention between groups that you probably don't want to get in the middle of though. When the two meet, there is like to be bloodshed because of how strongly they disagree with each other (white pride vs. black pride).

Posted by: LisaMeow ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 05:21AM

The Hamites came to Egypt, which had already been occupied by Lemurian emigrants- the Hamites were white Caucasian; were not semitic (the term Hamito-Semitic languages is not really a legitimate term). Sem was not the first semite, but Eber was. There was no curse of the descendants of Ham, from Noah- that curse lasted only a single generation- but the bebrews, being military enemies, would say there was an eternal curse... The Egyptians had the High Priesthood- Pharaoh was known as The Son Of God- and had it even before the Hamites came. The religion would be classified as Pagan, polytheistic- a development of Animism (perhaps the Second of The Twelve Religions to appear). All of those gods are actual living entities- they are not idolatrous, or false (sometimes a physical idol of a god is taken too seriously)... Egypt has been known as The Cradleland Of The Initiates- "Lock-bound in hidden crypts and temples, the Secrets Of The Ages are revealed". The Secret Teachings were had in India- the Hebrews got them there and called this Kaballah, adopted out of the hindu modalism. The Egyptians had the Secret Teachings too, but is was balanced with an urbane mundane practicality...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 08:00AM

The term Hamite is not a legitimate term since there was no Ham.

Date: June 15, 2017 10:00AM

Dave, are you saying that were also no Canadian bacon-ites, Prosciutto-ites or Spam-ites??

Apostate!!

Date: June 15, 2017 10:40AM

Thank Mormon God you stepped in, HTBM, to straighten this all out and give the us the Restored Truth™.

I feel humbly impressed to tell you that you are super-amazing.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 05:34AM

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/abr/fac-2?lang=eng

"Is called in Egyptian Enish-go-on-dosh; this is one of the governing planets also, and is said by the Egyptians to be the Sun, and to borrow its light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash, which is the grand Key, or, in other words, the governing power, which governs fifteen other fixed planets or stars, as also Floeese or the Moon, the Earth and the Sun in their annual revolutions. This planet receives its power through the medium of Kli-flos-is-es, or Hah-ko-kau-beam, the stars represented by numbers 22 and 23, receiving light from the revolutions of Kolob."

Or, in other words:

"You suckers are a bunch of idiots that I'm going take for all you are worth..."

This makes more sense:

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2017 05:48AM by anybody.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 08:50AM

For some wondrous reasons on this sacred doctrine, which the Correlation department hasn't yet prepared a Sunday School lesson to address, some people here seem to be mocking some sacred eternal doctrine here. I'd look into this deeply but I got to doubt my doubts and remember that if I even spend a millisecond on entertaining such doubts then I will have committed a grievous sin of inappropriate thinking, the angels in Heaven will take note, and I could get fried at Judgment Day as a result. It's certainly marvelous how our loving Heavenly Father has a super sophisticated surveillance program far beyond anything that NSA could ever do and its operated 24/7 on all our thoughts/actions to make sure we're holding fast to the Iron Rod at all times :) Growing to learn and accept that such a program is in place certainly helps condition the Sunbeams and older followers into getting our brains geared accordingly for life on everything.

Obvious whatever the so-called sciences are teaching is going to have to conform to the unchanging eternal doctrines we have. Whatever Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, all the other General Authorities, and scriptures have taught are the unchanging eternal doctrines. Thus in this peculiar religion of ours we will spend the rest of eternity needing to defend it all vigorously. If we were to ever think "maybe Brigham Young got a little thing wrong" then what we are really doing, according to the doctrine about the Brethren speaking for God, is doubting God and that will just turn us into apostates.

And besides, the Brethren teach us that we have other things we should be doing. We need to obey them and never question them. We need to give them tons of money for them to manage om behalf of God. We need to do tremendous amounts of volunteer work so the Church finances can have greater profits by relying less on paid staff. We need to not think about such unapproved questions as this thread raises. And we need to be more vigorous in sharing the glorious gospel and getting people assimilated into the Church. One of the most effective ways we can successfully assimilate people into the Church through the missionary work is by helping them see that its the true Church (i.e. the most honest, transparent, and straightforward Church ever) with the best path to gaining eternal knowledge on all things. When potential investigators start looking into things and say to themselves "gosh what a super honest and transparent Church with a membership that is
so super well-informed and I want to learn more" then the missionaries have more success :) We also got to be careful about never getting a reputation of being closed-minded on anything as that'll cause potential investigators to say "this couldn't possibly be the true Church as they seem to be hiding things or ignoring stuff & it must be a fraud" and thus Satan could cause some honest investigators to be snared away. Thus the Correlation program has a tremendous opportunity to make sure the Sunbeams and all of the older members are well-geared towards being super open-minded and learning about everything :) Isn't it wondrous how Mormonism teaches us to think :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.