Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: beckyannawesome ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 05:01PM

I am interested in reading up on Emma Smith and other early Mormon women. Do you have any recommendations on what I should read?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2017 05:14PM by beckyannawesome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: beckyannawesome ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 05:01PM

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 05:13PM

Emma Hale Smith: Mormon Enigma by Linda King Newell and Valeen Tippets Avery

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 05:20PM

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 06:25PM

Please don't miss, "Brigham Young: Americans Moses", by Leonard J. Arrington.

Leonard got in trouble with the church for one paragraph he included in this wonderful book that the church looked on as negative to the church, and therefore, intolerable.

So, while he was, at one time, the official "Church Historian", after writing this book he was bumped down to a small job at BYU of no importance.

I wrote a letter to him saying how much his book had meant to me, (as up to then, no one had dared write more than a church-compliments book).

In return, he hand-wrote me a response, saying how much my letter had meant to him (as his professional career got bumped- down for having written it). Thus, he was relegated to be an out-cast at BYU, with a title that had no real meaning of importance.

As my husband used to say about injustices of which one could do little, "Grrrrrrrrrr.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 05:29PM

You may find this book interesting and it is free on line.

https://archive.org/details/tellitallstoryof00sten

It is about a woman, her husband and some others she knew who came as converts from England I believe. Some came across the planes in one of the hand cart companies. Most of what is written about took place in early Utah and there is a lot of mention about the difficulties surrounding polygamy. The book is "Tell It All" by Fanny Stenhouse. She and her husband apostatized and left Utah.

Posted by: anon this time ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 07:51PM

Todd Compton - "In Sacred Loneliness" - wives of JS

Ann Eliza Webb Young - "Wife No. 19" - make sure you read the original 1876 memoir (available free online) and not the fictional book from 2008 based on her life

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 08:43PM

Yes, "Wife No. 19" by Ann Eliza Young. I read it just a few months ago and recommend it highly :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.