Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Politic ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 04:08AM

Newly-assigned Gospel Doctrine Teacher, who secretly doesn't live the Word of Wisdom, will be giving today's lesson to 150+ members on this very subject.
Will this person confess, lie or repent this morning?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 05:07AM

He will use himself as an example...

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 07:26AM

Good luck. There are appropriate times for things. This may not be one. You can talk of the benefits of low meat diets and exercise. Those are 2 things Mormons need to follow.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 08:29AM

In West Side Story, Stephen Sondheim semi-sanitizes the phrase as "When the spit hits the fan." I had a Navy chaplain who referred to combat as "when the old stuff hits the oscillator."

Getting back to topic, Politic, ask him pointed questions which refer to his lapses without mentioning his name. "Is failure to disclose income on tithing settlement the same as failure to declare income to the IRS?" "I agree we're a bit too prone to the sin of gossip. I saw a member of the high priesthood in Starbucks last Tuesday, with a cup of something, but I wouldn't go around mentioning him by name, because I don't know for a certainty that it was coffee."

Throw out the old joke, "When do Mormons fail to recognize each other? When they're in the liquor store!"

See if you can make him squirm a little.

Date: June 18, 2017 11:10AM

Thanks, this person told me how worried they are, yesterday. I didn't find out by gossip they just volunteered the info because they know I've left.
I think they want to be honest but having only recently been called and passed a worthiness interview they're in a no-win situation.
I think a sudden unexpected illness might save the day, but if not Im looking forward to the outcome.
This goes to show what a boring life I lead.

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 11:14AM

Politic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, this person told me how worried they are,
> yesterday. I didn't find out by gossip they just
> volunteered the info because they know I've left.

This is a little off topic, but isn't it interesting how slowly but surely the shaming and shunning is being replaced with admiration and confidence? It is becoming more acceptable to leave, and as a result struggling members often reach out in confidence to those who have left, to use them as a sounding board or a refuge.

Date: June 18, 2017 11:40AM

I believe that's often true. The teacher felt confiding in me gave some sort of relief. They knew I wouldn't condemn.
Because they are the last member of the family to remain a member I'm hoping they'll review their position.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 02:35PM

Based upon your further posts, I was intemperate, to say the least. The poor guy is stuck between a rock and a hard place. I do hope you'll "return and report."

Do let him know he has a friend in you, and you'll keep things in confidence. The non- and anti-religious are quick to call out "hypocrisy!" when it's simply a person having trouble living up to ideals. And the answer isn't to chuck all ideals out the window.

My guess is he's going to need time and space to decompress after this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.