Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laralee ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 12:22PM

Hello. I am new to this blog site. Left the church thirty years ago. Looking for new friends.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 12:30PM

Hello laralee.
Welcome!

Plenty of folks to be friendly with here. Jump in on some topics, and I hope to see you around lots.

Date: June 20, 2017 12:33PM

Thanks for the welcome. I actually had your screen name (from the "hymn") running through my mind a couple of days ago...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 04:48PM

laralee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...I actually had your
> screen name (from the "hymn") running through my
> mind a couple of days ago...

I'm sorry :)

I chose that screen name because of how patently ridiculous "Kolob" is. And because nobody can hie there. So it's my running joke.

The welcome is sincere. Stick around, put your feet up, make yourself at home. Have a cup of coffee with us :)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 02:26AM

Laralee, one of the fun parts of this forum is the great screen names. The first time I read *ificouldhietokolob*, I burst out laughing!

Lots of fun people here!

Date: June 20, 2017 12:31PM

I am looking for new friends in my geographical area (KY/TN/AR/MO) or someone who would like to re-locate to live with me here !

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 01:58PM

Want to tell why you left or how you've handled your recovery?

Date: June 20, 2017 03:48PM

After my mission, I married in Canada and had three daughters. When a divorce became necessary, I left and moved to Provo. I left the church in 1983 because it had not been right for me for many years. I was born in Salt Lake a descendant of pioneers and German and Scandinavian immigrants to the Valley. I remember being told when I was fifteen that I should not delve into the mysteries, just learn obedience. Um...that did not work out. I am not bitter any more, just better and raised my six daughters as Unitarian Universalists. They have all gone different ways now with their families, but none are Mormon. My husband of twenty years died two years ago. He was a good father and grand father, but if I try marriage again, I would like it to be to someone with a very similar background to mine. A former Mormon from Out West that wants to re-locate here would be ideal. I need to live out the rest of my life (I am now 61) here in my large house and on my property that I improve constantly because all of my children live within a couple of hours of me. I also like it here ! I am pretty happy, with good neighbors, but I do not have much in common with people living here. I work hard, have a large garden, can and preserve my food, and live a clean simple healthy lifestyle. I am not "saved", though. Thanks.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 05:12PM

Sounds like you're at peace with leaving mormonism and finding a nice new home with gardens and time to preserve your crops. That's lovely and it's gratifying to have your kids nearby.

I left the mormon church in college which was about 1978. I've attended and enjoyed several UU Churches and was married in one near Phoenix. Now DH and I live in California near our grand kids. We got central air conditioning last year and we're glad because we're in a hot spell, so I'm glad I don't have a large vegetable garden to tend, just natural trees, and flowers in pots around the porch and deck.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 07:22PM

Not bitter, just better... I like that.
Welcome!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 05:01PM

Welcome, Laralee! I am one of the board's long time resident nevermos (never a Mormon,) and about your age. I think it's lovely that you raised your children outside of the church. There are exmos everywhere, so you just might get lucky!

Date: June 20, 2017 06:33PM

I might "get lucky" even here in NW Tennessee - but am also looking for some lifelong friends near my age (61).

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 07:03PM

Welcome (((laralee))!Sounds like you got your stuff together!

Date: June 20, 2017 07:40PM

Thank you ! If any of you live geographically close to me, come for a visit !

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 12:16AM

Welcome laralee. I stopped attending church 45 years ago, married a Catholic and raised my kids away from religion. I resigned formally in 2012. I live just outside Lethbridge, Alberta.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 02:06AM

Welcome, Laralee!

Sorry for the loss of your husband. I'm sure you miss him, terribly. I'm glad you have children nearby. Your life seems ideal, except for maybe occasional loneliness.

As the (unwilling) former Regional LDS Single Adult Co-chairman, I know lots of horror stories. Let me advise you to be very, very, very choosy about the single men you befriend! You might be surprised, when you are flooded with offers. Do background checks. Hire a detective, if necessary.

Most people are basically good, so, enjoy. I think there is an ex-Mormon group that meets somewhere near you. They will get in touch with you through this board, no doubt.

The UU church in Sandy had an ex-Mormon group meeting there once a month. Have you checked your nearest UU church? Maybe they have a singles group there.

In the meantime, you have us--anytime day or night. :-)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 03:08AM

Welcome to the Board! I've made several friends here, I hope you do to! The Boner.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 10:23AM

HI there.

would enjoy meeting u in the state of TN. I also am an exmormon, thanks to Ashstar, a widow, mom , nana & recently, a great-nana.

I can vouch that this board is great. Welcome

Date: June 21, 2017 04:20PM

Thanks for the welcome ! Keep talking to me, y'all ! I have been in KY/TN for over 25 years, but miss people from other places that I have lived. I love visitors from Out West who are former mormons. Since my husband died two years ago, I am looking for a new man to join me here in my life (must be willing to work hard and must be fun). Most men run the other way when they realize that I still have the pioneer work ethic, so I am not too worried about slackers applying. Also, the heat index here today must be about 100 degrees with the humidity. I just mowed the lawn with a push mower and then enjoyed the outdoor shower. Even my dogs are lying low until the sun goes down, then it will be play time outside again this evening. Longest day of the year, today !

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 11:49PM

Happy Solstice laralee

Lotta rain down south here today.

I'm a westerner - and southerner - a satirist-humorist-writer, a weaver, artist, designer and painter, a formon, a gardener, outdoorsman, and adventurer.

I grew up lds - through no fault of my own - though never believing in it (just went through the motions - without emotion); unactive for decades; decided to attend a few services and in-activities to check it out after many happy years, and then found rfm-truth, a few years ago; learned a lot, and flew the coop; stick around now for the continued learning, sharing, laughing, friendships, camaraderie and connections.

Welcome to Rfm! Keep coming back, or front... just keep coming.

M@t

Date: June 22, 2017 10:02AM

Thanks. Just beginning to rain here in NW TN. I may actually get some weaving done today because I cannot work outside. My father actually told me a few years ago before he died that all of my problems that I have had were because I left the church...um...nope.

Posted by: As Fate Would Have It... ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 03:23PM

Laralee---
I have an e-crush on you...
It sounds like you and I are cut from the same cloth. I live out west and have disaffected myself from my pioneering mormon past. Literally all parental lines can be traced to the pre-railroad pioneer Utah.
When I lived in Utah for a few years, I had a garden, I grew all my veggies, canned and stored them in the basement and kept root vegetables in the root cellar. I raised at least one lamb a year for meat.
I moved away from Utah, married a shrew and am in a position that is going to make it very costly and psychologically painful to escape her grasp. She is very disinclined to release me since I supply her with her drug of choice-money.
There has been 0 (zero) intimacy for close to 20 years. I would be most happy to trade her in for what you describe in your world.
I'm 65 and looking to retire, in good shape and ready to plow a row or two...I'd hold up my end very well.
But. I made a promise...I didn't know at the time that it would turn out to be so lousy...and she has made threats to undermine any attempt I may make at starting a new life without her...
I love your post. I hate your post. I want to know you, but I cannot.
*sigh*

Date: June 22, 2017 04:32PM

Hello. I definitely need "unattached", but thanks, I think.

Posted by: As Fate Would Have It... ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 11:10AM

I did not post for any reason other than to lament my own situation. Your post was a reminder of how timing and making correct choices is what makes or breaks people.

I haven't done so good...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.