Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thewizard ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 05:03PM

I've been around the block religiously. I always thought the best way to understand a religion is to try it out and I did. I have practiced Judaism (both orthodox and secular), Evangelical christianity, Buddhism(technically a philosophy) a type of Hinduism,Wicca,and of course Mormonism. I have studied others and have decided now to stay where I am at spiritually,but religion used to be fascinating to me.

Have any of you practiced other religions before or after Mormonism? Do you still?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 05:36PM

I was a non-cathechized, non-baptized cafeteria catholic for a while after mormonism (catholic girlfriend).

I enjoyed the "community." Most of the people were great.
I found mass far more tolerable than sacrament meeting. Sometimes it was almost enjoyable.

Ultimately, though, I couldn't go there every week and pretend to believe the things they did, when I didn't. So I stopped going.

Just after bailing on TSCC, I read all I could about the world's religions. All of 'em. Ancient and gone, old and still around, new and thriving, falling out of favor, you name it. Couldn't find anything "good" in any of them that I couldn't figure out on my own, and did find massive amounts of mythical nonsense being paraded as "fact." So that was that.

I have a great "community" of friends, all of whom are kind, honest, generous, and great fun. Some are even religious. But I've found no need for religion. It isn't needed to learn how to be "good." It isn't needed for "community." It isn't needed to do things to help those in need. It isn't needed :)

Good luck in YOUR search.
May you find what works for you.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 05:52PM

I was a convert, raised in a Christian, Bible believing home, as a kind of undercurrent. Several generations of Christian Ministers in my family but the family I was in wan't particularly religious. Not big church goers but supported me when I was active in church. After I left the LDS Church, (in my 50's), I visited several churches and looked at the teachings of Buddhism (as a philosophy) and visited a Spiritualist Church as this was part of my youth.

I eventually determined that Mormonism worked for me for a time, but it was no longer necessary. I did not need a church for doctrine, a World View, or worship, or social outlet.

I like to call myself an: "Eccentric Eclectic" as I like major Universal Truths, such as: Love One Another, etc. I like to pick and choose what makes sense to create my own World View. I find I have no need for dogma, beliefs in a deity or a savior as some kind of explanation for my life. Besides, there are too many conflicting notions to find one that makes sense, anyhow.

I'm a widow with a 40 some year old single son as a roomie, now. I lived alone for sometime which was fine with me. I like being in control of my life and how I live, and how I spend my time and with whom. My children and grandchildren are so very important to me.

I have outlived most of my family members in my generation and older. I have one half sister left. Body aging medical conditions have changed how mobile I am now days.
After leaving so many loved ones in the last four years, I have become more curious about what happens when we die as I have so many experiences that seem to show there is some kind of after life that can message us.

So no, I have no need or interest in practicing any religion.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 06:01PM

How does one practice secular Judaism? Is there such a thing?

A Jew can be one of several Jewish sects, *or* a secular Jew. It isn't a religion to be secular. It's an identification with the tribe that person originated from, to my knowledge.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 06:44PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does one practice secular Judaism? Is there
> such a thing?

Yup...

...in organizational/congregational form, it is the Society for Humanistic Judaism (SHJ), founded in 1963 by Rabbi Sherwin Wine, and it is (to my knowledge) the most recent of the Jewish movements.[**] It IS a recognized "Jewish movement," and it is considered such right along with the more familiar Orthodox...Conservative...Reconstructionist...Reform movements on the Jewish spectrum.

> A Jew can be one of several Jewish sects, *or* a
> secular Jew.

There are untold numbers of secular Jews who are not "officially" affiliated as "secular" Jews, but the SHJ (as a Jewish movement) has some 10,000 members in 30 congregations throughout North America, as well as an established rabbinical school.

Wikipedia's article on Humanistic Judaism is a really good intro: en/wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanistic_Judaism

Quoting from my Google search for "humanist Judaism": "It defines Judaism as the cultural and historical experience of the Jewish people and encourages humanistic and secular Jews to celebrate their Jewish identity by participating in Jewish holidays and lifecycle events (such as weddings and bar and bat mitzvahs) with inspirational ceremonies that draw upon, but go beyond, traditional literature."

> It isn't a religion to be secular.

It IS in Judaism! (Officially, since at least 1963...but this goes back (recognizably) at least to Spinoza (1600s), and it actually probably goes back to the very beginnings of Judaism itself, to the earliest Jewish philosophers (whether they had official status within the Jewish community or not).[*]

> It's an identification with the tribe that person
> originated from, to my knowledge.

Identification with the tribe is extremely important, but it is not definitive. (Sammy Davis, Jr., who was very famously credited worldwide, and still to this day, with "converting" to Judaism/the Jewish people, evidently just decided one day, probably (from the stories later told) when he was driving to or from Las Vegas, that he was [now] a Jew...and everyone just "bought" the story (because, realistically, there are many rabbis in "Hollywood" who might well have converted him on the down low), and in the decades since his death, no one has EVER been able to find the slightest indication, or bit of evidence, that he actually converted, or went through even a smidgen of any conversion process, by ANY rabbi, or as part of ANY Jewish movement. He just "decided" that he was now a Jew, and everyone, both Jews and non-Jews, just accepted him as such---regardless of the fact (evidently) that it NEVER HAPPENED!)

[*] EDITED TO ADD: Also, remember that there are large numbers of Jews worldwide who are effectively "secular" in "belief," but self-identify as Orthodox (or Conservative/Reconstructionist/Reform), and this is probably most true in Israel where (as I understand) right around half of Israelis ARE (by most any "religious" definition) "secular," but TOTALLY self-identify as "Orthodox"...which basically means: if they DID go to shul, it would ABSOLUTELY, and without any question, be an ORTHODOX shul!!! This same thing could be said about many American Jews, who self-identify as Conservative (etc.), but are effectively secular if judged by their individual belief systems. (I have told this story before, but Rabbi Sherwin Wine, who began the Secular Humanist Judaism movement in the 1960s, said that when he was going through rabbinical school (I believe it was a Reform movement rabbinical school), he estimated that about half of the rabbinical students in his school were secular if evaluated according to their belief systems. They were observant (they were rabbinical students!), but philosophically and personally, they were secular.)

[**] I forgot about Jewish Renewal, which began in the late 1960s-early 1970s. The "problem" with Jewish Renewal as a Jewish movement is that those affiliated with this stream of Judaism consider themselves to be NOT a "Jewish movement," but instead, they describe Jewish Renewal as "transdenominational." (Many of the Jewish Renewal aims and practices have entered into the practices and services of the other Jewish movements, so by this perspective, Jewish Renewal could be considered not so much a "denomination" by itself, but rather as a "transformation agent", with the aims of "reinvigorating modern Judaism with Kabbalistic, Hasidic, and musical practices. Specifically, it seeks to reintroduce the 'ancient Judaic traditions of mysticism and meditation, gender equality, and ecstatic prayer' to Jewish practices and services, "grounded in Judaism's prophetic and mystical traditions." They are probably most well known for their emphasis on music (as worship) and a pronounced emphasis on gender equality, as well as "plumbing the very depths of 'why' so that we can hear our private and godly voices of truth." (The Wikipedia article I am cribbing this from is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Renewal.)

So Jewish Renewal is, in actuality (and by less than ten years), the newest Jewish movement (whether Jewish Renewal wants to claim this for itself or not). :)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2017 03:51AM by Tevai.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 08:29PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> How does one practice secular Judaism? Is there
> such a thing?
>
> A Jew can be one of several Jewish sects, *or* a
> secular Jew. It isn't a religion to be secular.
> It's an identification with the tribe that person
> originated from, to my knowledge.

I read the response. I guess it works for some people.

The strangest Jewish sect is the Messianic Jews. I saw a group in Africa someplace that claim they are Jewish (they are black) but believe very similar to a good old fashioned Baptist: Bible - New Testament, Jesus is their savior.

This one is a head scratcher!

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 03:36PM

Why? Jesus, a Jew, can be worshipped as Lord and Savior within the context of Judaism; it's just recognition that the Messiah already came the first time. The whole early church was Messianic Judaism.

Date: June 27, 2017 11:53AM

...except Judaism doesn't expect a "Lord and Savior" for its messiah.
The "messiah" as predicted was a *worldly* leader. A man, not a god or son of god. A man that would lead them out of Babylonian/Roman/whatever captivity, and restore the glory of the entirely worldly kingdom of Israel.

Judaism has one god, Yahweh. Not three-in-one. Not a god-man-savior. That's not what they predicted as "messiah."

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 06:18PM

International Worldwide Church of Christian Scienceology for the Triumphant Unification of Krishna's Latter-Day Witnesses.

Date: June 23, 2017 07:00PM

I was trying to see if the acronym from that name was something funny...but I give up :)

IWCOCSFTTUOKLDW?

Date: June 23, 2017 07:09PM

There's room in our cult for everybody, Hie2Kordoba, even cynical burned-out non-believing atheist apostate sinful wretches like you. We will welcome you, dear sir--you and your checkbook.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 01:09AM

I prefer the Reorganized International Worldwide Church of Christian Scienceology for the Triumphant Unification of Krishna's Latter-Day Witnesses.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 06:49PM

I've run into a lot of ex-mormons and typically they become non-religious. I would put myself in that group. Being Mormon was exhausting and I think we just got burned out.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 08:25PM

I tried going back to a Presbyterian church, very similar to the one that I grew up in. It was a nice little community church. The minister was a well-trained, likeable guy and I enjoyed his sermons.

However, he told the congregation that there wasn't enough attendance to support having two services, and they needed to choose which time worked for most people: 9:30, or 11:00.

They chose 9:30. I opted out. I have never been a morning person, and I have only gotten worse as I age. If they had chosen the 11:00 slot, I might still be attending.

I have tried other PCUSA churches around town, and didn't take to them for various reasons. Like many exmos, I find that I can do without religion.

The sense of "community" is more important to me than the "religion." Always has been. The issue becomes, "How much extraneous BS are you willing to put up with?" Not much, any more.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 08:15PM

I'm still practicing trying to be a Christian.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 12:24PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> I'm still practicing trying to be a Christian.

Ditto

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 12:29PM

"I'm still practicing trying to be a Christian." Same here, but I keep flubbing up all the time!

Date: June 24, 2017 03:43PM

I kind of envy the atheists. "I'm an atheist. I don't believe in God or anything. My knowledge of the Void is complete and perfect. I am as good an atheist as I will ever be."

Valkyriequeen, Boner, and TMSH, the Christian life is an unarmed pilgrimage through hostile territory.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 09:19PM

nice try on your bullshit strawman.

Date: June 26, 2017 11:42AM

caffiend Wrote:
> I kind of envy the atheists. "I'm an atheist. I
> don't believe in God or anything. My knowledge of
> the Void is complete and perfect. I am as good an
> atheist as I will ever be."

Come on, you're better than that. It's below you to post dishonest crap like that. Seriously.

Date: June 24, 2017 03:44PM

What if "being Christian" starts with accepting Jesus as Lord (translate, leader, boss, The Leader I Follow) and that changes something on the inside of you?

We all flub up all the time--but thankfully we do have the basic moral and ethical standard: not only love, forgive, etc. but also what that actually means (see 1 corintians 12 and 13, Galatians 5:22-23, most of James---and also 1 John 1:9--and to me, "confess" means admit to God and myself with no excuses or justifications. Very freeing.)

I love what you guys have said. Makes me feel so good. Real and good. Thank you!!!

Date: June 24, 2017 04:01PM

Despite my facetious remark about atheists above, I agree with you completely. There is a certain point when a person says to himself, consciously or not, "This business about Jesus is true. I really do believe it. Now I must start re-ordering my life about this truth."

In traditional theological terms, that is 1) conversion and 2) sanctification. The first can occur in a moment, or over a period of personal experience, and the latter being a life-long process. We falter and fail, of course, and mixed in are the hypocrites* who cynically profess Christ for their own selfish purposes. Unfortunately, the scoffers and skeptics look at our every departure from the Christian ideal as evidence that the Christian faith is a fraud.

*tares in the wheat field

Posted by: Dumb Lawyer ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 04:35PM

Caffiend - why do you keep pushing your Christian views on everyone?

Believe whatever you want.

Believing without evidence is just nonsense.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 11:18PM

Someone asked a question and he answered. Are the atheists the only ones allowed to respond?

Posted by: DumbLawyer ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 11:52PM

Bona - you are obviously unhappy in your perpetual state of uncertainty.

Date: June 25, 2017 12:00AM

I am perfectly happy, thank you, but I am a little tired of a few posters telling believers to shut up while spouting off about their own beliefs or lack thereof. Seems like a double standard. Maybe because it is. For the record, Caffeind's religious and political beliefs are not mine, but he does less proselyting than some atheists. We get that you dont believe, you dont need to try to convince us all that you have all the answers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2017 03:31PM by bona dea.

Date: June 24, 2017 05:02PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2017 05:03PM by relievedtolearn.

Date: June 24, 2017 05:17PM

Caffiend, I like what you've said and how you said it here.

Everybody has to come to their own truth. For some of us, including me, what you've expressed here is ours.

I have thought about atheism recently: I can't do it; that ship has sailed, as they say. But I think I may understand why it might be the attractive alternative for caring, aware people.

There is a whole field of study called theodicy(SP?) that has to do with how do we reconcile a loving God, God, Who, by definition could control whatever S/He wanted to, and allows suffering?

My TDM's argument for Mormonism, when we were 18-year-olds solving the world's problems, and now, is that in his experience, at least Mormons provide an explanation he can be ok with about how God could allow suffering--that without the Mormon idea of pre-exeistence and that the suffering on earth is a necessary step in progression, so God is in effect our mentor and cheerleader in progression-----then, as my TDM says, if there's a God, and he's the God evangelical Christians believe in, He's a jerk, and I don't want anything to do with Him.

I am speechless. Reading the posts on this board about the shelf, and the contempt for the argument that anything that doesn't make sense to you, you will understand later---well, that's my stance too. And that's not even addressing all the stuff in the Bible that doesn't make any kind of sense, either from a scientific view, or from an ethical view. Yep, my Christianity, which started as choosing to follow Jesus as leader for my life----is a dialog with God. I've always liked that Jacob wrestled with God, and Peter's big mouth. =)

Posted by: DumbLawyer ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 11:55PM

You don't get to come to your own truth - the truth isn't a fantasy that you hope is true and makes you feel good.

Date: June 25, 2017 12:07AM

And you dont have all the answers or the right to tell others what to believe. There is a no proselyting rule here and you seem to be doing a lot of it. From what I have read of your posts, you seem to see all religions through the lens of Mormonism or fundamentalism and have little idea of what non fundamentalists actually believe.Perhaps you should try some research. You dont have to agree with them, but at least you would know what you are talking about.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 03:22AM

DumbLawyer Wrote:
> You don't get to come to your own truth - the
> truth isn't a fantasy that you hope is true and
> makes you feel good.

Truth may be more subjective than you think.

Date: June 25, 2017 01:07PM

DumbLawyer----Truth is what it is, regardless of what we may think about it. We don't get to make something up that we happen to like and then that is actually truth.

BUT--evidence is not the be-all, end-all either. We know from history that over time we have learned to perceive and measure things that were there all along, only "we" didn't know about them. Our generation has been filled with discovery of such.

It would be pretty silly to think that we have now arrived at the place where all truth can be measured, that is, evident.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 08:34PM

I used to use that argument on my mission. "The truth is absolute and unchanging. People have only a limited perspective and get it wrong as a result. That is why we need a prophet to tell us what is true." It is true that we cannot, with our limited understanding, say what is true absolutely. How do you know that the truth isn't different for each person? What if each of us are here on our own unique journey? There may be concrete rules that govern this world, but what does that have to do with religion?

Posted by: Dumb Lawyer ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 04:25PM

Quit looking - you will never find it.

Everything you need is inside and you have always had it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 09:17PM

Pastrafarian.

Now where did I put my colander ?

Date: June 25, 2017 08:30AM

Pastafarianism may be the religion with the hole truth!

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 11:58PM

Followed by washing my hand.

Yeah I'm religious.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 04:11AM

Found my family roots work just fine for me. Have a very peaceful life.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 02:08PM

"Jesus, a Jew...The whole early church was Messianic Judaism.
_____

Jesus was the son of Mary, who was not a Jew, and his father was the Holy Spirit of God (which is God the father, who is a divine being of spirit form). (I my hard-earned educated opinion.)
----

I don't attend any church.

I practice Christianity (as well as I am able), and am likely a better Christian than a lot who claim to be, but don't act like it.
:)
P.

Date: June 25, 2017 02:30PM

pollythinks Wrote:

>
> Jesus was the son of Mary, who was not a Jew,

???????????

Date: June 25, 2017 06:18PM

What do you mean, Mary wasn't a Jew? If Jesus was descended from King David, and if He was conceived by the Holy Spirit---she had to have been descended from King David.

I've always wondered why the genealogies of Joseph are in both Luke and Matthew---which are also the two books that make it clear Jesus was conceived of the Holy Spirit, not by sexual, human union. The only conclusion that makes sense to me is that Mary was also of the same line.

The genealogies may have been in there because Galilee was full of mixed-race people, and it was important to confirm that Jesus was indeed the prophesied Messiah, which means He had to come from the line of King David.

Yes, one can claim to be Christian and not behave well. uh huh.

I like that, Kymie, follower of Jesus.

Date: June 25, 2017 06:30PM

pollythinks Wrote:
> Jesus was the son of Mary, who was not a Jew...

I have never encountered this before, and it is important because (if true) it would deny the Jewishness of Jesus (the human being) himself.

By Jewish law (which is the relevant authority as to the Jewishness, or non-Jewishness, of Jesus the human being), a Jew is one of the following:

1) Someone born of a Jewish MOTHER (fatherhood for determining Jewishness is irrelevant...fathers can be ANY male, and this very intentionally includes rapists because rape was a persisting and often omnipresent issue in ancient times), or...

2) Someone who has converted to Judaism "according to Jewish law" (which is sometimes, especially in ancient times, not so clear-cut, but which is irrelevant itself when it comes to whether Jesus-the-human-being was, or was not, a Jew).

So what you are actually saying here is that Jesus-the-human-being was never Jewish at all.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2017 06:32PM by Tevai.

Date: June 25, 2017 06:48PM

There is no evidence that Mary or Jesus werent Jews. I would be interested seeing a source for the poster's statement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2017 07:01PM by bona dea.

Posted by: kymie ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 04:38PM

Follower of Jesus

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 06:37PM

temporary.. when there was a funeral for someone whod married into their commune it still didn't hit me. when strange young women walked in between long marrieds and walked and stood in front of old women sitting with their husbands to flirt and ask favors while the old woman sat still and silent it still didn't hit me.

ok first I joined the catholic church for my husband whod taken me to the temple when I was 20. So I did a catholic marriage ceremony with him in front of his mom and siblings it seemed fair play. Then a protestant minister who was becoming a catholic deacon did a huge micro aggression against Mormons saying god does not answer their prayers- to me- in a circle in a ministry in front of my husband. and the diocese priest running the group supports it. My husband refuses to take me back and refuses to get up sundays to go to mass and refuses to support me in my fourth year of morning mass. HE suggests I change my work schedule and just don't bother. He refuses to allow me to attend 'someplace ___ where they don't respect you." (his uncle was a Trappist monk and the monastery priests were always respectful about spiritual seekers and mb family members.)

So after that, I didn't go back and began to wander again. Until I found myself with some former catholic and work colleagues at this ...well it turned out to be, cult.

when I want invited without my husband to a three day silent mediation ran by the state leader, I looked at my schedule and it didn't fit in, it still didn't hit me. what a chance for reprograming I missed.

when I listened to an initiation ceremony and it sounded like, like the temple vow I already took, vow obedience, to give all they have, all they ever have...it sounded just like the lds temple vows. So I just dropped the class I never signed up when invited because why would I vow that again and give it up to another group? they didn't even seem to treat the women that well. pretty well. they did yoga. I liked that. until I met a woman who pulled the ligaments off of her food and she said watch out, they'll ask you to stetch you'll never do enough. look what happened to me. See it was a trance state yoga, where you meditate first, breath, and after the group gets into a zone then, the yoga poses began. And for someone in trance you can put aside pain. so you can hurt the ligaments by moving beyond their capacity. So I stopped going to their yoga. But I enjoyed the yoga circles sometimes depending on who was there.

There was a competitive nature of who was most - exploratory or liberal in their past. & um my husband and me could never compete with the former cult members the government closed and confiscated their beautiful facilities after some sort of debacle or crime by a leader...see he'd told them to change partners they were married to every few years of exit the group. Then they'd have to do their child care, leave the neat condos in the Sierra they commuted to from work, and cook their food rather than going to the commons and being waiting on. might have had to do their own laundry. it was life a wife. Except the leader said everyone had to love or be able to love anyone and prove it, practicing on a next partner. That hurt some people's feelings and they left, but others stayed until the government arrested their leader. That group has a facility outside of town in the foothills near me, and their following purchased lots of condos along the river on the north side of town, me and my husband built our house near in the ill fated Mormon ward we last attended. Real mixed social community. So, when I tried a new age church a mini church with so cal roots, it seemed, good. enough. but then,

oh and also, you had you remember that with some of these people you'll be a ll washed up as a former Mormon. you can't compete with them. one lady left her kids in a big city and went to india to follow a guru. She bragged about this. one of her kids became mentally ill, another was abused, one turned out fine all were raised without her from early preschool and elementary to adulthood she was in India. In a group where this is valued- over parenting your young, someone who sacrificied time, or even a house, to personally raise a child or pay for uncovered medical expenses- doesn't rate anything heroic. looking back I think it was sort of masochistic for a monogamist Mormon couple who still avoid recreational drugs to give time to this particular church, it placed us in an all time low social status in their hierarchy- I don't know what I was thinking. I just enjoyed meditation. um Mormons didn't do that much. and I wanted to hear someone talk or read and reflect on literature instead of chant memorized prayers even in many languages such as I found in a very pretty glass stained window covered church.

I wanted to find someone who would pray and move energy without planning to curse someone. I left the um cult attendance when a special named official person explained how they too a fee and prayed and worked to give someone else someone's home children and spouse because they asked her to. She said she calculated the higher good and she thought her friends would be good or good 'er' and it would be her friend and her friends' children, and she thought her friend would be good or good 'er' for the spouse than their own spouse. So, she proceeded to organize her energy, her groups energy, her prayers, in an attempt utilizing 'occult' spiritual energy to change someone else's marriage- and she in her official capacity as ---- --- did this for someone in the church / cult/ and she felt it was virtuous, logical, and she was sworn to support the higher good and the church cult members good first always in all ways so, she did.
ok this repelled me emotionally and logically. Because my boundaries are that someone not legally in the marriage do not get this say over reallocating a person or family's resources... and even the spouse who the cult member lusted for, didn't know it and didn't choose it...so to have a group of spiritual occultist select a target marriage to move their friend occult new age spiritualist into--- repelled me. it threatened me. I felt devalued and debased to even see someone I liked and who like me, to explain this as their logic.

Mormon Scicilian Catholic me couldn't hang out with their cult style family. Something deep in me, clings to and will always cling to a dream of soul mates or begging comfort in some vestige of 'family'

So, I almost joined a cult. participated two or three years or four. but I didn't join the cult. didn't do the initiation. I wish I lived in a place that wasn't so all or nothing. So conservative or retaliating against the conservative. But since I do live here, I'd like to attend tai chi outside of either a protestant affiliated studio or a lovely pagan circle's beautiful classes but they're all into promoting open marraiges. lol why does there have to be such extreme choices

(I need better boundaries. that's a hell of a place for a people please to be. to place herself continually.)

yea & what am I? well my spiritual teacher is a Buddhist priest, he was trained in Tibet but I think he born on the east coast somewhere between Maine and New Jersey. lol on in California could someone have such a long and wonderful journey.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 08:10PM

Posted by angela: pollythinks Wrote: "Jesus was the son of Mary, who was not a Jew" ???????????
----
P: If I remember correctly. Mary, when she became pregnant via the Holy Spirit, went to visit her aunt (or cousin), to tell her the news. This relative's husband was a priest, and as such was not a Jew (as Jews came from a different genealogical line of the house of Israel, than did priests). Thus, so was Mary's genealogical line of the priesthood, versus from the tribe of Judah).

Prior to Mary's being predesignated by the Holy Spirit of God (that is, God in spirit form) to be the mother of Jesus, an angle had come to her to ask her permission for this to be done. She responded with, 'Be it unto me as thou has said'.

This same angle also appeared to Joseph, and told him not to 'Put Mary away' due to her condition, as that 'what had occurred to her was of God'.

So it was that the couple married, and were required to 'be counted' in the national census of the people--which is how they ended up in a 'barn', (with the animals), 'as there was no room for them in the inn'.

And so,it was there that Mary gave birth to her baby (during which process, I believe, she was aided by a mid-wive from among their traveling group, who could therefore testify to the fact of Mary still being, technically, a 'virgin' before her child was born).

---

Again, priest spent extensive time in the temple, as was true of Mary's uncle (when his turn came to do so). Hence, his position--being a priest in the temple--shows that he was not Jewish (as Jews came from Judah, and nnever possessed the priesthood). (If I remember correctly, instead, Jews were keepers of the money and records for the 12 tribes of Israel.)

Later, while in the temple, Mary's uncle (a priest) 'lost his voice' after receiving a vision wherein an angle appeared to him, and told him his wife was (or would become) pregnant. As he and his wife had been childless until this time (and his wife had 'passed the age' of becoming pg.), she laughed at the news her husband brought her. (Some say her laugh was one of happiness, and others, of derision, or non-belief.)

Now, the son this priest's wife bore, was to be the harbinger of the coming of the Savior, known to us as 'John the Baptist' (besides being a cousin of Jesus).(Jn.1:29) After this birth, the priest regained his ability to speak.

Note that none of these persons were from the Jews' geological line.
----

So, Jesus was born of Mary, and Jesus' real father was not Joseph (who was much older man than Mary herself, who was only around 14-15 yrs. of age), but who nonetheless had been betrothed to Joseph.

Then, because of her condition (being pg prior to their wedding), Joseph decided it would be best (in order to save Mary from shame), if he 'put her away' until after she gave birth. And so it remained a secret until the travel for the census took place, in which Joseph and Mary were required to go, and, as a result, had to stay in a barn (with the animals), 'as there was no room for them in the inn'. It was there that Jesus was born.

I believe a hand-maid was with them for this birth (from among the party they traveled with), who could also, therefore, note that Mary was, truly, still a virgin---even though she gave birth to her baby.
--

So, I hope the above explains my earlier position, ie, '"Jesus was the son of Mary, who was not a Jew ???????????'"
---

Wordy P.

Date: June 25, 2017 08:39PM

https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=11&article=2532

"First, the King James translation of the term syngenis as “cousin” (Luke 1:36) is unwarranted and somewhat misleading to those who normally interpret the word to mean “first cousin.” The Greek term syngenis simply means “relative” (NKJV, NASB, NIV) or “kinswoman” (ASV, RSV). It is “a general term, meaning ‘of the same family’” (Vincent, 1997). Thus, Mary and Elizabeth may have been first cousins, or they may have been fourth cousins. All we know for sure is that they were kin.

Second, Mary and Elizabeth could have been from different tribes and still have been first cousins. It may be that their mothers were sisters. Their mothers could have been from the tribe of Judah or Levi. As commentator Matthew Henry noted: “Though Elisabeth was, on the father’s side, of the daughters of Aaron (v. 5), yet on the mother’s side she might be of the house of David, for those two families often intermarried, as an earnest of the uniting of the royalty and the priesthood of the Messiah” (1997).

However Mary and Elizabeth were related, tribal heritage among the descendants of Jacob was passed down through fathers, not mothers (cf. Ruth 4:18-22); children were always of their father’s tribe, not their mother’s. Thus, Elizabeth and Mary were descendants of Aaron and David, respectively, by way of their fathers’ ancestry, and not necessarily of their mothers’.""

Date: June 25, 2017 11:40PM

pollythinks Wrote:
> Posted by angela: pollythinks Wrote: "Jesus was
> the son of Mary, who was not a Jew" ???????????

First of all: Your post is an excellent example of "When you ask for something, remember that, although it may indeed come to you, it may come dressed quite differently than you imagined it might be before you got it. The living skill required is to recognize what you wanted dressed as is IS, not necessarily the way you thought it might be dressed before it appeared."

I have had many questions (increasingly so over the past couple of years, because of major events on the U.S. national scene), about issues which your post (inadvertently, I am almost certain) is leading me to answers. I thank you!

> This relative's husband was a priest, and as such was
> not a Jew (as Jews came from a different
> genealogical line of the house of Israel, than did
> priests).

The priesthood biological line in Judaism is Jewish, and Jewish priests (of this line, called cohanim in Hebrew), are an integral part of Judaism. In modern times, their priesthood duties are restricted to basically giving a [scripted] blessing, on certain occasions, to assembled congregations, but (if they are observant Jews) they are restricted in many practical ways in modern life: if observant, they cannot marry converts to Judaism, nor those (or their descendants) who come under the archaic Jewish legal definition of "mamzer"...they have restrictions over their potential physical nearness to dead people (which means certain restrictions on observant rabbis, etc.; as well as restrictions on professions which are allowed for observant cohanim)...and so on.

There is some kind of DNA configuration that evidently does go through the Jewish priesthood line, and is reliable enough that this becomes of great import to those Jews who are biologically members of the cohanim, and who decide at some point in their lives to become observant, depending on the Jewish group that they decide to affiliate with (starting with a Jewish group called Chabad, but this is true for all the ultra-right Jewish groups that I am aware of).

Most Jews don't pay any attention to any of this (except that a cohain-descended person may be asked to give the cohain's blessing at some synagogue service), but it does exist, and if someone "returns" to observant Judaism, it can be important to that person, and that person's spouse, and their offspring.

To assert that Jewish "priests" [meaning: of the Jewish priesthood line] are not Jews is absurd.

Your reference to "a different genealogical line": Jewish priesthood line aside, all the rest of Judaism is a conglomeration of just about "everyone" on the planet! (All of whom are in the homo sapiens sapiens genealogical line, but I don't think this is what you were referring to. ;)

There are Jews of all of the major races, and countless ethnic groups within those races. Entire communities have, in Jewish history, joined the Jewish tribe as a whole...and individual converts to Judaism have always existed.

This is actually one of the defining features of the Jewish people: converts, and descendants of once-upon-a-time converts, have existed since literally biblical times ("beginning," for the written record anyway, with Ruth, in the OT). Genealogy in ancient/biblical times has probably NOTHING to do with "Who Is A Jew"---so if your argument about "Who WAS A Jew" in ancient times is based on genealogy, it is very likely going to fail.

> Thus, so was Mary's genealogical line
> of the priesthood, versus from the tribe of
> Judah).

Here you seem to be saying that Mary is a female in the priesthood line, so her getting pregnant by God would not be kosher? Or is your argument that her husband, Joseph, was not a cohain? The "tribe of Judah" was undoubtedly like all the other Jewish tribes (again: cohainim aside), meaning: people (such as the geographical neighbors of Jews, people passing through lands owned at that time by Jews, etc.), did sometimes decide to join with the Jews, so they "converted in" through whatever means was considered acceptable at that time. (Again: reread the part of the Book of Ruth where she becomes the [for literary purposes] "first Jewish convert." To Ruth, it was a simple declaration to her mother-in-law: "Your people shall be my people," (etc.), which comprised Ruth's conversion "ceremony," and at that moment she became a Jew like any other Jew.

> Prior to Mary's being predesignated by the Holy
> Spirit of God (that is, God in spirit form) to be
> the mother of Jesus, an angle had come to her to
> ask her permission for this to be done. She
> responded with, 'Be it unto me as thou has said'.

[I have no Jewish problem with this.]

> This same angle also appeared to Joseph, and told
> him not to 'Put Mary away' due to her condition,
> as that 'what had occurred to her was of God'.

[I have no Jewish problem with this, either.]

> So it was that the couple married, and were
> required to 'be counted' in the national census of
> the people--which is how they ended up in a
> 'barn', (with the animals), 'as there was no room
> for them in the inn'.

To my knowledge, there has been no historical or archaeological verification of this, and it does not make practical sense. The area was under Roman occupation, and it was in the Romans' best interest to keep the economy perking along and the taxes rolling in. If a census was to be taken, it would have made a lot more sense to assign the task to Roman soldiers (take a few Roman soldiers from each military unit, or assign an entire military unit to this particular task) so that the numbers could be collected, but the economy would not be disrupted. There would also be written records which would still exist (at least some of them, for sure, would have been sent to Rome), or would have been copied by others in succeeding years and archived. To my knowledge, nothing like this exists in any museum or archive.

> And so,it was there that Mary gave birth to her
> baby (during which process, I believe, she was
> aided by a mid-wive from among their traveling
> group, who could therefore testify to the fact of
> Mary still being, technically, a 'virgin' before
> her child was born).

This has to be a later Christian construct. Jewish marriages are timed, in advance, SPECIFICALLY to the bride's menstrual period so that sex (which, in Jewish law, is a WOMAN's right, and a man's DUTY) may occur on the wedding night (assuming it has not occurred prior, which is common). Other than when dealing with the aftermath of rape (which would, anciently, be considered, legally, more of a property crime against the "guardian" of the woman/girl).

There are no "brownie points" given to a Jewish bride who remains a virgin after (as an ENDING point), her marriage---this is a specifically Christian value.

To Jews, abstaining from sex (except during a woman's menstrual period, or directly after childbirth), is just considered daft, so long as both parties are healthy and normal.

Also: as we all know now, the anatomical "signs" of virginity are greatly overrated, and frequently misleading. A midwife in ancient times who encountered a genuinely virginal pregnant mother giving birth would not willingly be attesting to that apparent "fact" because it would cast doubt on the marriage itself. (What had Joseph been doing, or NOT doing, all those months, when his wife over these same months has been LEGALLY owed no less than a minimum of sex once every week, and maybe more than that depending on what Joseph's JEWISHLY LEGAL obligation to her was as it was written down, specifically for carpenters?)

If there was any "note" of this made by ANYONE, it would have been for the purpose of testifying before a Bet Din (rabbinical court) that Mary was owed a "get" (legal divorce) because her husband was PLAINLY not meeting his LEGAL OBLIGATION of sex to her as his wife.)

> Again, priest spent extensive time in the temple,
> as was true of Mary's uncle (when his turn came to
> do so). Hence, his position--being a priest in the
> temple--shows that he was not Jewish (as Jews came
> from Judah, and nnever possessed the priesthood).

Again: this is just incorrect. "Jews" and "Judah" are not synonymous, and never were.

> So, Jesus was born of Mary, and Jesus' real father
> was not Joseph (who was much older man than Mary
> herself, who was only around 14-15 yrs. of age),
> but who nonetheless had been betrothed to Joseph.

IMPORTANT POINT: In Jewish law, there is a betrothal (where both people give their consent to the marriage, and an economic deal is set which will be written into their marriage contract), and then (during that particular historical time, at sometime in the future) marriage.

During betrothal (which can only be opted out of by a legal DIVORCE!), it is expected that many couples WILL have sex (and, in fact, it is a way of legally "getting married" if the couple assigns two Jewishly-legal witnesses to witness them, a betrothed couple, going into a closed room together and emerging from that room after maybe a half-hour or an hour or so. Those witnesses can then attest, before a Bet Din, that they personally observed the circumstances which were required to establish that a betrothed couple had married (in other words: they had sex together), and that a marriage---therefore---existed.

Once a Jewishly-legal marriage existed, Mary would have been OWED sex a minimum of once a week (maybe more; as I said above, I don't know what the minimum sex quota is for carpenters). So none of this Christian take on Mary and Joseph makes any kind of sense Jewishly. For Mary to have remained a virgin not only after her betrothal, but after her MARRIAGE, would have been (Jewishly) bizarre.

(At some point after these ancient times, the betrothal and marriage ceremonies began happening at the "same" time: marriage directly after betrothal, both of them right under the chuppah (Jewish wedding canopy). This evidently began in order to save family resources (one celebration required instead of two, an obligation which had been increasingy financially burdensome to Jewish families), and this betrothal-followed-immediately-by-the-marriage ceremony continues to this day. If you go to a Jewish wedding (and this has been true for centuries, at this point), you are actually seeing two different ceremonies, one right after the other, before the couple comes out from under the wedding canopy.)

> Then, because of her condition (being pg prior to
> their wedding), Joseph decided it would be best
> (in order to save Mary from shame), if he 'put her
> away' until after she gave birth.

This makes no Jewish sense at all, either anciently or in our time. If they were BETROTHED, they had the "right" to have sex AND for Mary to get pregnant. She would NOT have been "shamed," because she was BETROTHED (and a betrothal, as I said, can ONLY be dissolved by a LEGAL DIVORCE---which means that "betrothal" is a form of quasi-MARRIAGE).

> I believe a hand-maid was with them for this birth
> (from among the party they traveled with), who
> could also, therefore, note that Mary was, truly,
> still a virgin---even though she gave birth to her
> baby.

Again, Mary was betrothed. No one EXPECTED her, as a betrothed woman, to be a virgin, so no one would have been particularly surprised when she became pregnant (except to note that she was, obviously, now legally married)...

...and, if she WAS a virgin, it would have been considered fairly bizarre---to the point where the community would have been inquiring if a legal divorce wasn't the best way to handle her husband's obvious disregard of his betrothed wife's legal rights regarding sex.

As to the things I was referring to at the beginning of this post, I Googled "Jesus not a Jew" as well as "Jesus was not a Jew" (with somewhat different results coming up when the word "was" was entered).

What I learned was why certain things, opaque and mysterious to me, were happening within our U.S. national life now, and some of the results which came up had the actual answers...

...as well as why some (to me) fairly bizarre suggestions have been coming up when I searched YouTube for certain subjects.

I'm sure I don't yet understand completely, but at least I know what the general answer is now...however, since these new (to me) "revelations" are all about American politics, this is where I will end this post.

Thank you, polly, for providing the bridge to me understanding some things about current American life that are important, and that I really did want to understand.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2017 12:39AM by Tevai.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 11:01AM

I've gone with Unitarian Universalism. Not because I was looking for religion in particular or that I believe in a "true" church or any crap like that. More for social reasons. I live in the Southeast. 'Nuff said.

It is principal based, not dogma based. Sermons are more about how to live NOW and not what will get you some elusive eternal paradise. We are involved in a lot of community and social justice efforts and most of all the average education level is very high. Especially after mormonism, where the lack of education really showed in women's groups. So many women, even ones whose husbands were doctors, lawyers, etc. were just dumb as bricks and total followers for the simple fact that they had no reasoning abilities.

I often feel inferior in a group of Unitarian women. Several of my closest friends have PhDs. I wondered if I was just imagining that there was a higher education level, but saw this recently.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/04/the-most-and-least-educated-u-s-religious-groups/

Posted by: turbo ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 01:29PM

I have heard about the Unitarian organization. Could you sum it up, do you like it? We have been all around and many churches feel like an infomercial, a sales pitch, etc. Do they do things like baptisms, etc? We want to teach high principles and serve those in need, social too.

Date: June 26, 2017 02:05PM

No baptism, no salvation rituals. We do child dedications, where we basically covenant as a congregation to be their village and bless them with the elements of the Earth.

Unlike Mormonism, there are no two UU congregations that are completely alike and some really differ from others. We belong to an association and agree to adhere to the basic tenants of the UUA. But there is so much autonomy. There is a lot of diversity, most UU Congregations are official "welcoming" congregations to LGBTQ individuals. There is no patriarchy and I'd say that women probably assume more leadership roles then men in many of them. Here is a link to the basics.

http://www.uua.org/beliefs

Date: June 26, 2017 05:41PM

Whatever you believe, is your personal truth, whether you're fully persuaded or not ("just seeking"). Therefore, no doctrine, no dogma. Turbo's truth may or may not be Breeze's truth. They're equally valid.

Unitarians tend to be politically liberal.

Date: June 27, 2017 06:23PM

But they accept everybody. Even Republicans. We have a couple in our congregation. :-)

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 03:51PM

When I left Mormonism, my self-esteem was damaged. I'm naturally a "good" person, in that I obey the laws and social rules, especially the Golden Rule, and I generally love others, so I feel OK.

The Mormon double-bind is lose-lose, and I completely burnt out. (I have not touched the piano or organ for 9 years.) I am against perfectionism, judgmentalism, gossip, hatred and fear--and those seem to be among the basic tenets of almost every Western religion.

I didn't want to join yet another "religion" that I would fail at!

But, now, I'm immune to religious "failure" because I know that any small error can be redeemed with MONEY. Now that I can afford to pay for religion, I have no use for it. My children and I are happy, so why invite unnecessary misery into our lives.

Posted by: turbo ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 07:36PM

Thanks for the summary NormaRae and caffiend. The burnout is real Breeze!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.