Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 01:48PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 01:57PM

As far back as Moses. (jkz)

For real, as far back as Joseph S.

Several of my ancestors were his and Briggy's bodyguards. During their time in MO, IL, and after moving west on the wagon trail.

Lots of pioneers in my family tree that came from New England stock, many of them. Others immigrated or migrated from the south.

Each of my Mormon ggggrandfathers that I know of (and a great gggrandmother,) fathers fought in the Revolutionary War. Some of the same in the War of 1812.

Before that who knows? Some of my earliest ancestors were here in the 1600's or earlier. I'm actually interested in their history as much or more than my Mormon ancestors. I find their (his)stories fascinating, all of them, no matter. :)

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 01:20AM

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 02:25AM

One of DH's ancestors was also a body guard of JS.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 02:12PM

Mom's side: as far back as JS (related to the Webb family that took in pregnant Fanny Alger after Emma kicked her out).

Dad's side: 1849 (ancestor fled France to England during the French revolution, got sucked into mormonism by missionaries in 1849, tried to take his family to Utah but died at the Liverpool docks).

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 02:56PM

Got some that came over the plains as pioneers. One ancestor came into the valley August 1, 1847. Many were converted in England then moved to Utah.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 06:44PM

too damn

Posted by: bearlaker ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 07:12PM

Since 1863-4, greatgrandfather was part of the party led by Charles C Rich.

Date: June 27, 2017 07:22PM

My great grandpa, a convert in the 1880's, was a good friend of Charles Rich and the Bear Lakers. He lived with some of them while he was still a bachelor before getting hitched to great grandma.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 07:27PM

On my TBM mom's side all the way back to Joe Smith. I had a ancestor as one of Joe's bodyguard;s. Another got ex'd by Brigham Young(the morg has since reinstated him) since he helped found Cedar City Utah.

As for my TBM dad's side, it just goes back to him and his mother.

Date: June 29, 2017 01:30AM

Hey Anon 2, one of my ancestors doubled as a bodyguard of Joey, and had the distinction of being excommunicated during Joe's adulterous hookups with other women for actually trying to seduce a young woman other than his wife !

Within one year he was able to get back in the good graces of Joe, and became a member again (why on earth would he have suffered through all that I wonder?) It was following Joseph's death (which that ancestor went on the march w/Joseph to Carthage, and was credited for helping to save Joe's uncle from the same fate as Joseph and Hyrum,) that said ancestor was then allowed to take more wives.

By then my ggggrandmother had died at age 30, before he headed west to Utah with Brigham's company. He took another wife who didn't live much longer either. Following that marriage after he was in Utah he was given three more to marry. Two of those were sisters! The older sister left him after accusing him of cruelty. He accused her of a lack of spirituality. His 5th and last wife also left him.

In the end out of his several plural wives it turned out he could still only live with one at a time. Only one could put up with him. Monogamy got him in the end !

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 07:37PM

unless my DH re-activates if I croak first, it will stop there. All of the kids are out.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 01:21AM

I was the only Mormon in my family.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 01:35AM

About five generations on my father's side, and none on my mother's side. My mother was a frustrated writer, my father a fuck.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 02:17AM

Through my paternal grandmother, I go back to the Missouri/Nauvoo days. Mom was a convert.

On dad's side, among my own cousins, the majority of them remain pretty deeply entrenched. However, among my siblings and nieces and nephews, the Mormon virus is dying quickly. Only one out of my four sisters has any chance at all of continuing the Mormon line through her children. That sister isn't particularly devout, but she married into Mormon royalty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 03:05AM by Strength in the Loins.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 06:25AM

Descendant of Thomas Marsh on my moms side. My dad's side came to Utah in 1883. We moved out of Utah in 1993. Parents are still dedicated TBMs.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 06:38PM

I wonder which of my forebears were the idiots that hooked up with Joey........

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 10:51PM

This is a crackup, I think.

I have no direct Mormon ancestors. However, way back when in England, there were two brothers named Snow. One of them became my dad's family line; the other became the line that produced Eliza and Lorenzo et al.

My Snow grandfather said that our family had produced both horse thieves and preachers, and he didn't know which was worse.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 11:03PM

One 5th-great grandfather/grandmother was in at the time of Joseph Smith. Most of my ancestors came from Scandinavia, and they typically converted and immigrated in Brigham Young's time rather than during J.S.'s reign. I have several 4th-great grandfathers and/or grandmothers and a couple of 5th-greats who were with the handcart companies.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 11:24PM

My adopted family goes back to Hartford, Ct. close to the beginning of the cult and I'm in the 10th generation. My mom was a convert and my birth family aren't Mormons although some I guess married into the cult.

Posted by: cliodude99 ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 12:00AM

All the way back to Smith. My great, great, great, great? grandfather on my mother's side baptized Wilford Woodruff into the church. 1832.

Posted by: yetagain... ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 12:21AM

one generation - the mormon virus ended up killing my mom......

Date: June 29, 2017 01:22AM

That's awful. :(

Posted by: burnedatthestake ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 02:07AM

On my mother's side, my GGGF & GGGM traveled with the second party to the Great Salt Lake. They were supposed to travel with Brigham but due to illness my GGGF was needed at Winter Quarters. My GGGF helped to build the irrigation system in SLC, and also helped to build Brig's house. I've read his journals and also my GGGM's journal and it breaks my heart. My GGGM produced 16 children and my GGF was her youngest. He went on a mission to New Zealand in the 1890's. GGGF left my GGGM and his other wives to move to Star Valley, WY with his very young Swedish new wife to live after polygamy was "outlawed." Last name was Cook and yes, there is a direct relation to a current apostle. Different mother. My GGGM was the first wife. My heritage. Thank goodness my dad was of another religious belief and I was able to see a different perspective. The straw that broke was 1979 when I attended Rick's College in Idaho. Peace.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 02:21AM

My great grandfather JN Smith was baptized by our cousin Hyrum.

G-g-grandfather Shummy was one of Horny Joe's bodyguards in Nauvoo.

On Mom's side, her father was one of the polygamists who fled to Mexico.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 05:13AM

On all sides. 5 generations back

On my father's side, our ancestor was a close neighbor of JS. You would recognize his name, but I have to remain anonymous. He never practiced polygamy.

On my mother's side, we go back to Hyrum Smith, and a polygamous ancestor in that family, and also to a very famous Mormon, who was a counselor to Joseph Smith. The counselor had two wives, who were sisters, and one of them died in childbirth, crossing the plains with Brigham Young, so the other wife (my ancestor) raised all of the children. When her counselor husband died, Brigham Young confiscated all of her land, for the church, and made her move to a swamp. Some of her children left the cult in protest, but, unfortunately, her grandchild, my ancestor, came back to the fold, and became an important GA. My family on that side thinks they are "Mormon Royalty."

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 05:29AM

my super asshole MORmON convert male parent joined MORmONISM to marry his MORmON sweetheart. I was permanently out of MORmONISM at age 38. So on that side of the family, he came in, I went out. My mom's family were long time LDS, but they never did any polygamy so I could not even begin to pretend that they were any kind of MORmON royalty because any one who was MORmON royalty followed Joe and Brigham in having a wife collection.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.