Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 06:11PM

Even though I have been inactive for over 4 years, somehow I got on the list to cut the grass next week.

Only the men have to do this (grass cutting, pickup litter, pull weeds, edge & sweep sidewalks, etc) in our ward, but I don't think inactives should count.

My TBM wife is already mad at me for declining to do this, I already help with the ward cleaning schedule, but I WILL NOT be out cutting the grass on a Saturday morning!

I draw the line right there!

So they got us cleaning the ward, and maintaining the grounds, and bringing the bread for sacrament meeting... what next?

How far will these people take it? What are they paying tithing for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 06:20PM

That's ridiculous. Stick to your guns, yeppers.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 06:33PM

yeppers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...but I don't think inactives
> should count.

I think inactives should count, and members shouldn't. :)

Tell them no. Member or not, inactive or not, you can tell them no. It's easy, just repeat after me:

NO.

:)

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 01:59AM

YES

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 06:37PM

May you ever be able to bow to the slaveholders. Or tell them to f*()(*& off>

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 01:08AM

what are you complaining about ?

Posted by: just sayin ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 03:26AM

You could respond with a proposal to do the lawn for 10% of the ward income. You would never have to tell them NO again.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 03:46AM

Get a hold of a rototiller. Show up just before dawn. Plow the entire lawn under. Bring a chainsaw too!

They will never ever ask you again.

True story.

Most members loathed having to do a 6 hour stint at the church farm (pears and apples). The farm had been neglected too long so it became a mandatory ward activity to prune the blight that was attacking the area.

One member told the BP during PH meeting that if they insisted that he needed to attend the pruning; then he would bring his CHAINSAWS. The BP thought it was a bluff, so he said "Sure, bring'em."

So all was quiet in the morning with the usual snipping here and a few sawing there with tiny tree saws. After lunch, Brother Saw fired up his chainsaws. Sister Saw was also prepared to show the fellow RS that she can also swing a blade too. Each started on a row and began to prune. He managed to topple 5 pear trees before the farm manager stopped him. He had lopped each tree at an exact 3 feet!

Sister Saw dutifully cut down 3 trees in the adjacent row. They were asked to leave the farm. To my knowledge, they were never asked to do another church farm assignment again.

Posted by: anon exmo ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 11:08AM

I had a similar thought but a lot less extreme, refuel the mower while on the lawn and accidentally spill a bunch on the grass. Nobody can blame you for having an accident and every time they see the large dead spot they will think maybe they should have professionals doing the job.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 06:50PM

Spray the lawn with round up.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 10:53AM

You are cleaning the ward and you are inactive? LOL And your wife is mad? LOL harder.

You are cleaning a church for one of the wealthiest religions in the world. WOW

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 02:13PM

Yeah, it's pretty funny that you clean the church! :D

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 11:01AM

Wow that's like GM asking for volunteers to help build cars then jacking up the price of the cars 10%.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 12:47PM

I don't blame you for declining. Hold your ground on this issue.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 01:36PM

My response would be I don't mow my own lawn (and I don't I hire it done) so I sure am not going to mow yours.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 01:44PM

a few stake centers in town. I couldn't believe how many weeds there were. GIANT weeds. I'd pull them as I walked. I can't stand seeing those tall weeds that pull right now.

People have been working on stake farms forever. My dad used to bale hay for them. One time we were assigned to hoe beets for the stake farm. I had hoed beets from the time I hit junior high for my dad. I was about 21 at the time, but living at home and working. I dared to tell my dad NO. Shocker. I was very devout, his most devout child, but that is where I DREW THE LINE. He wasn't pleased, but he didn't make me go. My dad and mom shouldn't have been doing farm work for them either and my dad used his own equipment and paid for the gas, etc. They are blood suckers.

I also remember when they built an addition to the chapel we attended (not a stake center) years and years ago. Every man had to put in time working on the addition and there was also a building fund that people were assigned an amount they had to pay towards the building fund. I remember my parents being overwhelmed by the building fund. Just one more thing they could NOT AFFORD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 01:46PM by cl2.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 02:17PM

And that's why some of us become a wee upset when the morg tears down older chapels. We know that some are unique in design and construction. Some were paid from blood and sweat of actual members and are not the usual cookie cutter design of McChapels and McTemples.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 04:39PM

There is a fairly old mormon chapel in Logan on Main Street. It has been sold many times. When one religion purchased it, they cut off the steeple and put on a bell tower. The outrage from mormons was heard far and wide.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 07:03PM

It makes you wonder why members are required to pay 10%.

I've read that the average for church donations in the U.S. is 2.6%. That covers everything -- construction of churches, maintenance, grounds work, and routine cleaning.

Mormons need to tell their overlords to live within their means.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 07:55PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It makes you wonder why members are required to
> pay 10%.
>
> I've read that the average for church donations in
> the U.S. is 2.6%. That covers everything --
> construction of churches, maintenance, grounds
> work, and routine cleaning.
>
> Mormons need to tell their overlords to live
> within their means.

Many of them also pay salary and benefits for professional local clergy, stipends for professional musicians, and other things for the morg uses volunteer/usually amateur labor.

The organizations, except for the Roman Catholics, don't support a hierarchy of anything close to the SLC bureaucracy the Mormons support. And when you consider the size of the membership, the Mormon nureaucracy outdoes anything Rome has to offer.

Posted by: Anon370H55V ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 01:46PM

Yeesh! It [almost] makes me wish I could be a Morgie so I could be asked/ordered to work like that. I would wreak some major havoc for sure!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 04:22PM

Our local Mormon eyesore chapel hires a service to cut the grass. Why can't yours? Test of faith?

Posted by: Paul H. Dumb ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 07:07PM

hire some experienced latino Landscape guys to do it and tell the ward you did ... it will mess with their minds

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.