Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 02:25PM

I LOVE the trend I see on the Board to referring to The Faithful as "Kolobians". Much more diverting than "TBM" although, admittedly, harder to type. And so scathingly accurate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 02:27PM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 02:53PM

I'm waiting for chulotc to christen Christians with a new name to match his Kolobian zinger for the Mormons.

I'm entertaining myself wondering what it could be: Crossists, Zombiests (spelling query there), Communionists (careful with that one!) Pious Frauders, Biblophiles, Heaven-Can't-Wait-ists, Lordos, Crossos, Hellos (believe in Hell), Pewos, Helios (worship the "Sun", ha) or the less popular choices (for me) such as Christos and Christers (yow). Dave the Atheist and now some of his pals obviously favour the latter.

It's more difficult to find an all-encompassing term for Christianity as there are so many disparate beliefs (as discussed in the prior thread/s). How do you find one term that covers a basic tenet to which all Christians adhere?

I'm sure that chulotc (the snarky one) is up to the challenge!

Then he can write Kolobians and [insert new name for Christians] instead of "Kolobians and Christians" to get a matching pair. He has already contributed a new term to the RfM lexicon (I think) with 'Kolobians'. Now he can go for the pair.

I do love word-play, although must admit I'm somewhat sensitive on the Christian side. However, turnabout is fair play. Can I laugh at 'Kolobian' but frown at 'Crossist' or whatever other term for Christians/Christianity chulotc may come up with? Prob'ly. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 03:01PM by Nightingale.

Date: May 23, 2011 02:55PM

Date: May 23, 2011 02:59PM

Not!

I may be sorry I spoke... :)

Posted by: Davo ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 01:15AM

X-ists, X-lamists, HotCrossBums, Waterwalkers, Resur-rectumites (ism)...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 03:11PM

"Virgin Birthers"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 03:11PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: May 23, 2011 03:21PM

But. Do ALL Christians believe in the VB? Or is a representative sample enough to coin a term for the entire movement?

For the record, I don't think most Protestants focus on the VB aspect of their faith story. Of course, the Catholics do. I admit to being somewhat egocentric about 'Christianity' as I always think in terms of Protestantism, being one myself. VB is so 'Catholic' to me. The cross, the EMPTY cross, is the Protestant focus, in my experience. It also nicely separates Mormons from Protestants, definitely. 'Crossists' could be a nice offset to 'Kolobians' but there are differing tenets chosen by each Christian group and many offshoots such as Johnists, Paulists, Bible literalists, Trinitarians, Unitarians, most of which illustrate the wide array of different beliefs within Christianity, in which Mormonism does not share as, according to Christianity, they get it wrong from the get-go, re the nature of God (Trinity) and of course the Bible (written by the breath of God, according to many Protestants - not sure about Catholics) whereas to Mormons it is meaningful only so far as it is "translated correctly". (They actually have a point there but the effect of that Mormon doctrine is to undermine their belief and trust in what to Christians constitutes Holy Writ - just another of the major differences to contribute to the Wide Divide).

I know groups that don't accept Unitarians as Christians (no Trinity belief) and others that don't accept non-BACs as fellow Christians. I agree with non-Christians that the Christian stew is thick, murky and potentially unappetizing, not to mention confusing, even to many followers.

I could be sorry I egged chulotc on, but hopefully it's all in the spirit of fun and amiability. It remains to be seen...

Thanks for playing, SLC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 03:26PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:08PM

It doesn't matter what Christians focus on, it matters what they believe.

Do you believe that Mary got pregnant without actually having had intercourse?

If the answer is yes, then I nominate "Virgin Birthers" to be our new name for Christians.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:14PM

True Mormons do not fixate on Kolob and the whole god evolution problem. However it is central to the plan of eternal progression and in my opinion Kolobians is a perfect moniker. Have a nice day.

Date: May 23, 2011 05:21PM

Also, I don't think there is a person in this entire thread who disagrees with you.

My post, specifically, was about the moniker "Virgin Birthers."

Were you addressing me, or did you accidentally post in the wrong place? No worries, I do it all the time :)

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 08:18PM

I stand corrected, I miss read your post. My thinking cap was not securely fastened on. My bad.

Date: May 24, 2011 12:54AM

No worries :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:30PM

snb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you believe that Mary got pregnant without actually having had intercourse? If the answer is yes, then I nominate "Virgin Birthers" to be our new name for Christians.

Well, I don't and not all Christians do. There's a good snarky name lurking out there somewhere but I don't think "Virgin Birthers" is it.

The think that I like about "Kolobians" is that it puts the Mormons in the same league as the Scientologists with their belief in Xenu. And no one takes the Scientologists seriously.

Date: May 23, 2011 08:06PM

I thought it was a pretty solid part of Christian belief. If it isn't, then fair enough, it doesn't fit.

I would love someday to have a conversation with you about your beliefs concerning what actually happened to make Mary birth Jesus.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:25PM

How about Jeezers or Biblists?

Or Heavenists or Heavenobian (for future heaven dwellers)?

Nah. Virgin Birthers is pretty hard to top.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:02PM

Date: May 23, 2011 08:21PM

This is good for what I was looking for. Belief in the crucifixion is universal amongst Christians, as far as I'm aware. A possible exception are those who attend church but apparently have no belief in god which, frankly, I don't understand. Why not go to the opera instead in that case? Or sleep in?

But I digress.

Crucifixionists could be Fixionists for short.

There's a double entendre there that non-believers are sure to like: Fiction-ists.

I could go for that over any of the derivatives of names that believers consider holy.

Riffing off Dagny, how about Heaven-Bounders, Bounders for short. That could nicely cover all the religious scams, at least those within or related to Christianity.

I think that all or most Christians believe in some form of end-times (it's in Revelation after all - apparently) so to that extent we're all End-Timers or Doomsayers/Doomsdayers. I regret the negative message but that about covers it, good news for believers, bad news for the nons.

I've had fun with this wordplay today. I don't mean any disrespect by it. To me, the prize goes to whoever comes up with a catchy term that isn't egregiously offensive. Anything on a par with Kolobian would be very clever. Not too hokey and with a grain of truth at least.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:15PM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:14PM

Is what I like to call them.

There was a guy I used to work with who was a Bible-thumper. Some of us referred to him as "Thumper" and he didn't get it!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 12:37AM

I am sorry you, nightengale, and others are choosing to go this route. If this board is going to turn to "pick on the Christians, ridicule the Christians," I shall find other places to spend my precious time. But you all enjoy your bullying. Just thought the moderators did not go for that sort of thing but perhaps I am wrong.

I prefer conversation that is adult in nature on such a serious topic as RfM. It appears that for some mocking all religion is what floats your boat. So if it's the way it is going to be day after day I shall pass. My daughter being Mormon is enough of the pain I wish to endure.

Recovery from Mormonism doesn't mean BASH all Christians. Some people are as intolerant of religious believers as they are of gays and lesbians. So happy I am not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 12:38AM by honestone.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 01:01AM

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 02:33PM

I love it too. Mormons have the irritating habit of using derogatory terminology for anyone who doesn't believe just like them:

Apostate
Non-Mormon
Jack-Mormon
Gentile
and on and on.

They think that putting someone else down makes them look better. So I like the "Kolobian" moniker. Its not derogatory, its an inside term, and even a bit mysterious. Yet to someone who is a believer who hears the word, Kolobian, the inferences are automatic and unmistakeable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 02:34PM by my2cents.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:11PM

An time an EXCEPTIONALLY fine looking African-American (cursed race) female passed the line of sight to missionaries the very common spoken statement (out of earshot, of course) was: "She rates a 2nd Wife!!"

Of course, most rated much much lower on that rating scale -- 10th, 11th, or 12th wife even!!! Of course, this rating scale was usually impacted by the amount of time the missionary was assigned in the Oakland area.

As a side note: having spent a good year and one month in Oakland itself I may have been the first to dish out the never-uttered judgement of: "1st wife" sighting. No wonder I'm apostate now!!!

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 02:36PM

Is it Kolob-ians or Ko-LOW-bians with a long o? Grammatical rules usually state that if a vowel is followed by a consonant then a vowel, the first vowel is usually long. Just curious. It's such a great word, I would hate to say it incorrectly! LOL!

Date: May 23, 2011 02:37PM

When my brothers and I use to say it we pronounced it "Ko-lawb-ee-uns"

Date: May 23, 2011 02:47PM

Ok,thanks! :>)

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 02:53PM

PinkPoodle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it Kolob-ians or Ko-LOW-bians with a long o?
> Grammatical rules usually state that if a vowel is
> followed by a consonant then a vowel, the first
> vowel is usually long. Just curious. It's such a
> great word, I would hate to say it incorrectly!
> LOL!

Oh, great. Now I have performance anxiety about whether I'm pronouncing it correctly. Is it "to-mah-to" or "to-may-to" (but never "po-tah-to", even when paired with "to-mah-to").

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:39PM

and to-MAY-to

and mack-in-a-shuns

and Nuh-Vaa-duh

So say I.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 05:41PM by Adult of god.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 02:48PM

Date: May 23, 2011 03:32PM

I just asked because I don't want to pronounce it wrong and sound all "ignert!!

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:15PM

Don't think it matters.

Actually, I was responding to the original post.

Don't I feel like the ignernt a-hole!

Timothy

Date: May 23, 2011 04:44PM

Awww Timothy, you could never be an ignert A hole!

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:58PM

As a Catholic, I vote for Transubstantiationist.

It's my understanding that most non-Catholic denominations do believe in the virgin birth. However, they do not believe in the perpetual virginity of Mary. Their reasoning is that the NT makes mention of the "Brothers of Jesus."

This is a problem from the "as far as translated correctly." Family ties in Aramaic were not definitive, and cousins were called "brothers."

TMI, I know.

~VOW

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:13PM

Date: May 23, 2011 08:09PM

Of course, perhaps the Catholic Church would like that approach. :)

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:11PM

I like Cabbie's "Virgin Birthers", here's a few more:

- Myth Thieves
- Arkers (hey this could be for Jews and Xtians)
- St Paulie's (Paul the real author of Xiatianity)
- Other Cheekers (as in turn the....)
- Nailians (as in nails thru the sure place..and close to Aliens)
- Golgothians

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 06:11PM by jw the inquizzinator.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:27PM

Pious motherfuckers

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 01:07AM

and believe that they were proto-Missourians? Is there a word for that? Besides "nuts?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.