Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:29PM

I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it OK to put the old coffee grounds down the disposal? Will it clog the plumbing or cause the fish downstream to get all jumpy?

2. I loved the flavor of the coffee at the Waffle House while I was living in the South. Anybody know of a national brand that comes close?

Thanks,

Stunted

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:30PM

1. depends on if you are on a public sewer or on a private septic system. If septic, don't put anything down the disposal.

Posted by: musicangelgirl ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:32PM

Dont put it down the disposal best is to just throw it away or if you are looking to be envirnmentaly freindly put it in a composter or it makes an excellent fertilizer for acid loving plants like tomatoes a small amount mixed in the soil is great for them especially if you have very alkaline soil. It will clog the disposal.

Never had waffle house Im partial to starbucks brand though I get the costco version.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:34PM

Coffee grounds make for awesome compost if you live somewhere with a garden. Starbucks sells bags of them on the super-cheap for just that purpose.

I don't know what Waffle House coffee tastes like, but a few years back I got a Keurig for my birthday, and I don't think I'd want to live in a world without one anymore. If you feel like splurging a bit (they run around $120 I think) you too can experience the joys of single cups of coffee that are delicious and brew in 30 seconds.

Date: May 23, 2011 04:44PM

It had a nice mellow flavor and went down well with just a little sugar. By comparison, starbucks coffee tastes "burnt" to me. I don't know if it's just stronger and therefore more bitter but I don't really enjoy it.

Folger's is what I'm drinking now and it's OK, but I think I can do better.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:52PM

They roast their beans at a much higher temperature than what other coffee providers do. Hey, when you have a store at every corner, you have to fast-food it up. In fact, Starbucks is really the McDonald's of coffee.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:50PM

With all the new McCafe products I think McDonalds has taken over as the McDonalds of coffee.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:55PM

I think starbucks taste burnt. Been drinking coffee for 30 years.

I agree about the Keurig. They sell a k-cup with it so you can try your own. Then you can buy small amounts of all kinds of beans till you find what fits your taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 04:56PM by beansandbrews.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:01PM

It's only good with milk in it -- I will only drink it as latte.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:53PM

Have you tried Maxwell House? I use their French Roast coffee, which has a strong flavor but is still smooth. I've gotten compliments when I serve it from people who grind their own coffee.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:40PM

I don't recommend putting grounds down the disposal, so if you can't compost, you might as well just toss them out. I haven't had Waffle House coffee since the early millenium so no help there.

Date: May 23, 2011 04:41PM

I'll just have to get me a bucket to store the grounds in between trips to the garden.

Since I'm going all organic in my waste management now, should I consider grinding my own beans as well?

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:56PM

YES!!!! Freshly ground coffee is superior to pre-ground!

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:55PM

I second that. Fresh roasted is the best. If you can find a store that sells green coffee beans it's as easy as popping popcorn to custom roast your own beans. You can order from a bunch of places online as well just google "green coffee beans" and you will find more than enough resources to give it a whirl.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 04:43PM

so it's always fresh.

Date: May 23, 2011 04:45PM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:02PM

but some people do.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:22PM

I prefer my Planetary Design FP. It's stainless so unbreakable unlike the bodums I broke several of. Heh heh. Plus my boot cut type is double screened. One screen on the plunger, then it gets screened a second time as you pour it out the lid which completely eliminates floaters. I can't tell if the new ones have that feature but they probably do.

One thing, no matter how many screens, you end up with a bit of sludge in the bottom of your mug so it's wise to learn to leave that last tablespoon if you don't like sludge. ;-)

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 12:16AM

If you use a coarse grind with a burr grinder (not the little blade type) you will get superior results with a french press without the sludge.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 08:15PM

Make sure you get good beans and grind them fresh. I don't recommend using Maxwell House or Folgers or the like with a french press. I'm sure there's a way to get it right, but I've never had good coffee with those beans and a press.

I'm currently partial to Larry's Beans (https://www.larrysbeans.com/), although I also have a weakness for Dunkin' Donuts' coffee-- provided it's brewed via a drip maker (tastes nasty with the french press).

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 05:01PM

I like to cold brew my coffee. I get a mason jar and put 2/3rds of a cup oof ground coffee in three cups of water, let it sit for 12 hours to brew, then use a handheld collander with a coffee filter twice to get the grounds out. Then I do half the concentrate and half water. Gets out the acidic bite really well.

Posted by: captaincaveman ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:04PM

+1 on the compost for coffee grounds, but not too much unless you're adding lime.

I have found that whole bean coffee is best, get yourself a burr mill grinder and grind them immediately before you make your coffee.

8 o'clock is probably what you'd enjoy if you liked 'awful waffle' coffee. WaHo uses Royal Cup, but it sure doesn't taste like it to me. they also add some salt to the grounds before they brew it.

I was a big fan of S Bucks cafe verona for a very long time. Now I'm hooked on Dunkin Donuts but only if I make it at home.

Posted by: Mrs. Solar Flare ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 06:15PM

We'd take our used coffee grounds, dump them in the coffee caraffe/pot, add water, swirl and throw them out into the yard. Every day.

Yard looked great (have no idea if it really did any good, but it didn't hurt), felt good to be "recycling" and the ants HATE coffee grounds so we were ant-free as well.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 07:59PM

Dunkin donuts!!!

=D

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 08:34PM

Not a lot of experience with coffee, but I like Dunkin Donuts. I buy the whole beans and grind them myself. Kind of making it my little ritual and using it to wean off coca cola. The WoW lie that coffee is bad and pop is okay is absurd.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 09:01PM

And remember three important things:

- In order to make good coffee you have to begin with good coffee.

- Coffee is best when made in small portions. Consider an individual cup drip machine or a Bialetti Moka Express (fantastic results!). If you can find one, a tiny French press can produce pretty good coffee (I've found them a few times at TJ Maxx), but one of the large presses can produce pretty bad brew.

- Use plenty of coffee, normally at least two full tablespoons per mug. Plenty of new coffee drinkers get turned off by weak coffee, and don't even know that it's because it's weak.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 09:43PM

I happen to like the coffee from Trader Joe's, and I grind it as I use it. I also keep the whole beans in an airtight container, as it keeps it fresh for longer than storing it in the original can. I not only have a regular drip machine, but a French press and an espresso machine.

Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:42PM

How expensive is the coffee for the Keurig?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.