Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 01:35AM

I don't have many church books (I think my ex kept a good portion of them) but I have a BOM that my Aunt gave me when I went on my mission, the old style.

And I have an all-in-one thing that my wife (now ex) and kids gave me for Christmas one year, early 90's.

It's got lots of writing in it but I think I was mostly putting on a show because I was on the way out by 1995.

Have all of you kept yours or did you toss them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 01:42AM

Ripped my name out and tossed em.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 02:44AM

Ripped them up and threw them away so no one else could be adversely affected by them.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 03:56AM

That's exactly why I threw all of my Mormon books in the recycle bin. I especially got a thrill when I recycled "Miracle of Forgiveness." I would have burned those books, but that was something I could never do. Better to save the trees.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 02:49AM

I have the mini (need a magnifying glass to see the print) combo set. Parents got it for me when I got baptized, so my maiden name is on it. It's collecting dust in my closet.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 02:38AM

My mini scriptures got stolen from church because I neglected to get my name embossed in gold on the cover like everyone else. I suppose some lucky missionary got them as a gift from his parents or grandparents. I was furious when they were first stolen but now, with much weaker eyes, I hope they are tormenting the poor sod who ended up with them. The little mini would now be through the shredder if I still had it.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 02:24AM

How odd to steal the so called word of God. Seems like that book would burn their hands and eyes whenever they read them.

I can't imagine wanting scriptures so badly that I would steal them.

That should be some interesting Karma.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 02:25AM by janis.

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 05:46AM

I kept my LDS scriptures. But now they are nothing more than anything else in my religious reference section of my personal library. Right there with the Bhagavad Gita, Upanishads, Book of the Dead, and all the other sacred works of various religions that I've managed to collect.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 08:09AM

DW just asked this. Since we're paring down for moving, she has thrown out a lot of LDS books now, even though she is TBM. She wanted to know what to do with my so-called "scriptures." I aim to keep a couple that were inscribed by my dad, especially the old edition of the D&C that has all weird crap that the church has changed or taken out.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 09:47AM

Burned 'em.
Didn't want 'em infecting the mind of anyone else.

Only books I've ever burned. Or ever will.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 06:16PM

I have a large leather bound quad that was my folks....it has some of their handwriting in it so it will stay in my library....the rest...burning barrel and/or landfill.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 09:53PM

Threw it away along with ALL things cult. Shredded the Patriarchal Blessing. I don't want any triggers for my PTSD around. The relationship is dead so there's no reason to hold onto the past.

Posted by: nuttin much ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 11:35PM

There is a beautiful feeling in throwing away old shit, as in stuff you no longer feel to be associated with. We remain open-minded, but not foolish.

Date: July 06, 2017 01:16AM

I use them on top of some cabinets to raise some decorative items up above the crown moulding.

I other words, they're prop stands. Just what they were meant to be.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 06:06PM

Hahaha. Perfect. Props holding up decorations.

Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 01:24AM

I had to think about it for a moment when I read this question, but then I remembered. When my wife and I moved a few years ago, pretty much all the useless stuff with no monetary value that we no longer used was taken for a ride out to the landfill. I bet you can guess where my scriptures went.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 04:44AM

"I keep the bible in a pool of blood so that none of its lies can affect me!"

In all seriousness I've still got my quad. It's sitting on my bottom shelf with the rest of my books on mythology like the Quran, the Bhagavad Gita and some book on Confucianism.

Date: July 10, 2017 02:31AM

Good visual for a painter

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 04:13PM

I ripped up my nice English language leather triple combination book. It just felt necessary at the time--I can feel your anger and all that!

I still have the KJV Bible, but rarely read it--it's just nice to have the KJV on hand for comparison of translations. I also have my triple combination in German, but that's just one of those life artifacts that's important to preserve for reasons outside of the content of the books.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 04:37PM

I tried to burn them, but they didn't catch on fire. The spirit protected them. Well, I fooled him and threw them away.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 04:39PM

in middle school. She left them there.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 04:57PM

Use it for lighting fires.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 05:50PM

I have held on to my mission scriptures, both English and Spanish versions - not entirely sure why. I guess a part of me wants to have them handy just to see how they change over the next 50 years while they deny ever teaching what they once plainly taught.

Almost everything else has long since found its way to the landfill. It's really depressing to think of how many thousands of dollars I spent at Deseret Book over the years - in addition to the tens of thousands wasted on tithing. When I purged my library of LDS works, I bet I threw away at least 200 books.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 06, 2017 09:33PM

I threw them out, after cutting off the front covers and gluing several pages together. At the time, I had dogs so after I threw them in the trash can, I added a layer of their poop over the Mormon stuff that was thrown out.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 07, 2017 12:05AM

my name engraved in gold on the cover. I just dust them from time to time, and that's about it. I'll leave it for my exmo daughter to throw away after I'm gone.

Posted by: anonsometimes ( )
Date: July 07, 2017 02:07PM

Cut my name out. Ripped them up. Threw them away.

The other Mormon books I had I gave to Goodwill, which I still regret. They also belong in the trash.

Posted by: ren ( )
Date: July 07, 2017 02:41PM

Burned my copy with my name engraved on it. I recycled the other copies I had lying around.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: July 07, 2017 03:17PM

I keep them around once in a while if I have a question about what the TBMs are saying these days. One of my more recent scripture chases was about modesty. In the scripture modesty has nothing at all to do with keeping the female body covered up. It is about not spending a lot of money on your hair and clothes and showing off but instead use the money to help others.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: July 07, 2017 10:10PM

My ex-Mormon friends just burned them or tossed them in the garbage.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 11:43PM

Those expensive, rotten, excuses for books? I believe I threw away/ lost the set from the family as a youth. The ['real' leather, engraved] set they got me about 7 years ago (the week after I naively purchased a set [faux leather], (with case) for $70, or the "portable" set they gave me a few years ago (just before learning I'm a formon)? Burn or Bury? Hmmm

M@t

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 11:53PM

I tossed my mini quad off the end of the Maine State Pier into Portland Harbor.

Posted by: wokie ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 12:23AM

I used my church stuff as bbq fuel :)

Posted by: Krokus ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 09:32PM

I put them in my library's fiction section.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.