Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 02:52PM

It seems like the Magic Valley has been having one since we got back from Ely on Tuesday.So I'm keeping the dogs in my room with the light off and the fan going. It's helps that I'm in the basement and not much sun goes into my room. I have curtains that make it cooler. Lots of water for dogs and me. They're trying to sleep it off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 03:43PM

YES! Los Angeles, Ventura County, Santa Barbara County... well into the hills.. very hot. Heat advisories all through most of the cities -- 102 to 112f expected highs.
Fortunately, I'm out of Vandenberg Air Force Base in Lompoc where it is cooler. Only about 77% to maybe 82F tops. Cools off pretty well at night.
I get advisories daily!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 03:47PM

It's freezing cold here in Phoenix.

In other fake news, hell is expected to freeze over any day and global warming is a hoax.

:o)

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 04:07PM

It's 100+ here in the valley of the saints. My car temperature gauge said 104 but I think anything over 100 is really awful.

I lived in Las Vegas for years and always thought that anything over 100+ felt as hot as it could. I think the heat in Utah is more oppressive since it's not as frequent as Las Vegas.

I have to go to work in about an hour and stand in the parking booth, a weak air conditioner blowing on my legs. Can't wait.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 01:34AM

Addendum to my post from earlier:

It was hot and dry all day long, then about 9pm, the wind came up and sort of cooled things off, then it rained for about 30 minutes along with rain. It's still pleasant now at 1130PM.

Gonna be hot again tomorrow.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 04:15PM

It is in the 90's here in Eastern NC and we are forecasted to have some scattered thunder storms today into tomorrow but it is not hot enough to be under a heat advisory.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 04:25PM

And they thermostat on my cooler chose today to fail. The cooler won't run without it. I got a new thermostat and am waiting for my handyman guy to come wire it in..it looks just like the old one - wonder if I could wire it without electrocuting myself....

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:20PM

Turn the circuit breaker off first.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:23PM

Wait for the handyman to be on the safe side.

Even if you turn off the circuit breaker, unless you know what you're doing you might cross wires where they don't belong, or something else counter-productive.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:42PM

Most in home thermostats are low voltage wires. There is no harm in trying to do it yourself. There are 4-8 wires and they are usually color coded. But do try and turn off the breaker first.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 04:36PM

It's currently 112 here in Las Vegas. Hot, damn hot, I'd say.

Date: July 08, 2017 04:44PM

The heat wave in the Southwest all the way up to Canada is making the news here today in the Northeast.

Hope you all find meaningful ways to stay cool as you can. Cool shower, cool pool, cool shade, hydration.

Hats for outdoors. AC is where I'd want to be indoors. I'd hide inside all day if I were living there instead of here.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:31PM

It's pleasantly warm here in Maryland -- 88 degrees with relatively low humidity and a nice breeze going. I have the windows open.

Closing the curtains or blinds during the daytime is an old southern trick that does work very well. It also helps to keep the windows closed in the morning (and into the afternoon) for as long as you can stand it. It keeps the cooler night and early morning air inside. Turning the lights off also helps, as you have discovered.

Stay cool!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 06:02PM

No, but it's only 93 here in my part of the Corners. We had our heat advisory in June, which is typical for a week or so. If I wasn't so banged up from my disagreement with the Animas River rocks and not sleep deprived, I would be swimming right now.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 06:08PM

Southern Alberta right now. Temp here yesterday was 99 F and set a record. We don't have A/C either. No duct work in our home (hot water heat) so might have to look at one of the new ductless systems from LG or Samsung....but not this year. My son will head back to work north of Fort McMurray (700 miles north) next week to work in 80 F+ temps wearing full Nomex coveralls. I don't envy him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 06:11PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: July 08, 2017 06:08PM

Well whadda ya know, it's getting cloudy here with a heavy buildup of dark clouds in the east which is the typical preface to thunderstorms in our valley.

Trouble is there is a price to pay after a cooling shower which is that the next day will be hot AND sticky.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 06:13PM

It is 111 in the western San Fernando Valley right now...

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 09:53AM

...and, in later news, about 6:30 PM yesterday, we had a total power blackout from a fire at the Los Angeles Water & Power station on Parthenia, which evidently serves the west Valley from Woodland Hills (south) up to Chatsworth (north), and east to at least the eastern borders of Northridge.

(The western border is the Ventura County border, so no one west of the county line was affected---not to my knowledge, anyway.)

Total power blackout...no phone lines working, no nuthin'.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 12:10AM

It was 87 in my area today, and I'm along the coast in southern California.

Posted by: infinitelyme ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 12:22AM

Southern Utah here, and the air-conditioner in my office took a shit. I brought in another air-conditioner, and the electricians installed it separately, so I could have both. Both air-conditioners took a shit. It's hot

Date: July 09, 2017 12:35AM

Oh shit.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 01:37AM

103 at 3:00 pm today in Sandy, Utah. I was out in the sun, at a kids' birthday party, at a splash park. It was crowded! My DOL's face was beet red--she's 9 months pregnant. My son's car's AC broke. One of the grandmas had heat stroke, and she is still sick. (She was wearing garments, and had no hat.) She doesn't want to go to the ER and get water put into her veins. The older men kept putting their bald heads into the water fountains. The kids didn't seem to notice, and ran races on the grass. I got some great photographs!

I came home to my cool house, and put on a sundress, and had an ice cream cone, a popsicle, and cold grapes for dinner. Heat kills the appetite. There was a 15-minute storm, with only a few drops of water, but the kids had to go out and dance again in the rain and thunder.

This is just part of summer, in Utah. We adapt, and don't do anything foolish, like jog or bicycle. We live in "winter conditions", meaning we stay indoors, mostly, when it's this hot. The evenings are always cool here--unlike Az and Texas, and other states. Very low humidity, here.

We're fine, because we don't have to dress up in panty hose and a skirt, or a necktie on Sunday--and we don't have that extra layer of sticky polyester underwear next to our skin. I was forced to wear garments for 3 months in Hawaii, and was not happy about that--really unhealthy and stupid.

Date: July 09, 2017 11:04AM

Wow, that's hot even for dry heat. Marylanders do the same thing, we just stay inside when it's too unbearably hot. This next week will be in the 90s, and I'm anticipating getting a lot of housework and organizing accomplished, with maybe a cool movie thrown in for midweek relief. I like to go to the pool, but it will probably be too hot to do even that.

Hopefully TBMs will do the sensible thing by pitching the garments when they are in danger of overheating. You certainly don't need an extra layer of clothes in this weather.

I've been wearing mostly sleeveless tops for several weeks now.

Date: July 09, 2017 12:30PM

The news was saying this morning the low humidity is lower than normal even for there this time of year, making the dry conditions even drier.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 02:14AM

I'm within the city limits of Santa Barbara. It's been very nice here. I don't think the high was above 80 F today. It's supposedly 65 F right now.

Date: July 09, 2017 10:11AM

It's a balmy 88 degrees this morning.

Went for a bike ride and barely even broke a sweat.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 04:36PM

Here in Central Virginia, we are having a 1-day break from the heat and humidity. Currently dewpoint is a mere 63 and temperature about 85. It's magnificent!

But the heat (albeit a reasonable level) and humidity are returning tomorrow, right on schedule.

So nice to have a break from the AC.

Date: July 10, 2017 02:16PM

The delightful summer weather in Maryland is over for now, alas. Our dewpoint is edging into the uncomfortable zone. I just flipped on my A/C and with temps going into the 90s, it will likely be on for the rest of the week.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 05:40PM

Another hot one here today. Glad I'm not working in this heat. Talked to my son this morning and he said the temperature at his work site last week in the process area of an oil sands plant was 120 F so they could only work for 15 minutes at a time.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 01:29PM

I'd advise staying out of the heat... especially when it can (can't?) be beat!

Posted by: jonny (the girl) ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 05:01PM

The dew point or humidity here sucks!! It is 95 and feels like 104. Nice. I take my pups to the dog park at 5 in the morning while it's only 80, and soon as the sun comes up we are done.

I am going to need a go fund me for my utility bill!!

Lake Wakoumis, Missouri.....(KCMO)

Date: July 11, 2017 05:45PM

I feel for you. The humidity in Missouri is unreal. The cooling bill for my condo has never exceeded $140, so we shall see. :/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.