Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 05:01PM

A truly barbarically sad, tragic and disgusting story about the Mormonism that I was raised in to believe was somehow beneficial to humanity.

###

In the early spring of 1857, Warren Snow was Bishop of the Church at Manti, Sanpete County, Utah.

Bishop Snow was in his forties and already had several wives, but there was a fair young woman in the town that Snow also wanted for a wife. But the beautiful young girl told Snow that she was then engaged to a young man her same age, Thomas Lewis, a member of the Church. Consequently, she would not marry the old bishop. Bishop Snow, in Joseph Smith fashion, insisted that it was the will of God that she should marry him instead of Lewis. But the girl continued obstinate.

The ward "teachers" visited her and advised her to marry Bishop Snow. Then the ward authorities called on the young man and directed him to give up the young woman. This he steadfastly refused to do. Lewis was promised Church preferment, celestial rewards, and every other blessing they could think of to no purpose. He remained true to his fiancee, and said he would die before he would surrender his intended wife to the embraces of another.

Then the bishop called Lewis to go on a mission to some distant locality, so that he would have no trouble in effecting his purpose of forcing the girl to become another of his wives. But Lewis also refused to go on a mission.

"When that is done, he will not be liable to want the girl badly, and she will listen to reason when she knows that her lover is no longer a man."

In May 1857 Bishop Warren S.Snow's counselor wrote that the twenty-four-year-old Lewis "has now gone crazy after being castrated by the Bishop" for an undisclosed sex crime.

A month later upon hearing the news of what Bishop Snow had done, Church leader Brigham Young said :"I feel to sustain him," even though Young's brother Joseph, a general authority, disapproved of the punishment. In July Brigham Young wrote a reassuring letter to the bishop about this castration: "Just let the matter drop, and say no more about it," the LDS president advised, "and it will soon die away among the people."

See page 250-241 of D. Michael Quinn's excellent book "The Mormon Hierarchy : Extensions of Power" for even more details and references.

If a young woman persisted in rebellion and a young man refused to go on a mission, castration was a punishment the Church did not hesitate to employ: Bishop Warren Snow of Manti, San Pete County, although the husband of several wives, desired to add to his list a good-looking young woman in that town. When he proposed to her, she declined the honor, informing him that she was engaged to a younger man. The Bishop argued with her on the ground of her duty, offering to have her lover sent on a mission, but in vain. When even the girl's parents failed to gain her consent, Snow directed the local Church authorities to command the young man to give her up. Finding him equally obstinate, he was one evening summoned to attend a meeting where only trusted members were present. Suddenly the lights were put out, he was beaten and tied to a bench, and Bishop Snow himself castrated him with a bowie knife. In this condition, he was left to crawl to some haystacks, where he lay until discoveredĀ…[he] regained his health but has been an idiot or quiet lunatic ever sinceĀ… And the Bishop married the girl.24 (Smith 293-207)

There are several references to the Thomas Lewis castration.

Pages 284-286 of John D. Lee's Confession in MORMONISM UNVEILED, or THE LIFE AND CONFESSIONS of the Late Mormon Bishop JOHN D. LEE contain a very good account of the crime.

Pages 250-251, The Mormon Hierarchy, Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn.

Pages 301-302, The Rocky Mountain Saints by T. B. Stenhouse, 1873.

Vol. 5, pages 54-55, Wilford Woodruff's Diary, June 2, 1857

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thexedman ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 05:11PM

This is sickening to read. It's crazy that I used to revere these old prophets as kind holy men.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 06:57PM

There was nothing "holy or kindly" about these old frontier Mormons. I believe today we would call them psychopaths and sociopaths.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 06:15PM

Sickening ...

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 08:42PM

BeenThereDunnThatExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In July Brigham Young wrote a > reassuring letter to the bishop about this > castration: "Just let the matter drop, and say no > more about it," the LDS president advised, "and it > will soon die away among the people."

And thus this Bishop Slush did draw his gleaming Bowie knife and "let the matter drop." Poor Tom "was left to crawl to some haystacks" ... ever since "a mad or quiet lunatic."

How many, like Tom, were victims of Worshipful Master-Mason Brigham's penalties, learned by that tyrant through years of wallowing with Lodge-men obsessed with all sorts of bloody revenge.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 08:54PM

Seems pretty well documented. So what was the young woman's name?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 08:56PM

Did the nasty old pervert add the young woman to his collection??

Date: July 11, 2017 09:12PM

OP says the bishop married her (added her to his list of wives.) But...."who" was that woman?

Posted by: Anon,,. ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 09:04PM

Not that it excuses their actions, but what do you make of accounts that Lewis was under arrest and was being transported to the penitentiary in Salt Lake when this happened? Was this all made up? Some accounts make no mention of any girl. Do any accounts say who the girl was, when Snow married her, etc...?

Posted by: Anon.,. ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 09:11PM

It looks like Snow was 39 in the Spring of 1857, and that was the year he married his second wife, Sarah Whiting, so at least some of the details in this post aren't accurate.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 09:19PM

Anon,,. Wrote:
> Not that it excuses their actions, but what do you
> make of accounts that Lewis was under arrest and
> was being transported to the penitentiary in Salt
> Lake when this happened?

Where would these "reports" be?
Any references?

Posted by: Anon.,. ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 12:38AM

http://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6041&context=etd

The account from John D. Lee is where most of the details come from, but it was written almost 20 years after the fact, and it includes some obvious errors...Snow wasn't in his 40's, and he didn't have several wives...yet. An earlier account from Samuel Pitchforth included the details about Lewis being transported to the penitentiary in Salt Lake for a sex crime. I haven't found any accounts that say who the girl was, no documentation that Lewis was called on a mission, no wife of Snow's that wrote about Snow castrating her love and being forced to marry him, etc...

Snow definitely castrated the guy, and it sounds like Snow was known for being a violent and nasty guy, but in this case, I think the apologists' story makes more sense than Lee's account.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 09:12AM

Anon.,. Wrote:
> and it includes some obvious
> errors...Snow wasn't in his 40's, and he didn't
> have several wives...yet.

See the records below. By the church's own records, he had 3 wives before the "spring of 1857," and took two more (on the same day) DURING the "spring of 1857." So, yeah -- he did already have 'several wives.'

> An earlier account from
> Samuel Pitchforth included the details about Lewis
> being transported to the penitentiary in Salt Lake
> for a sex crime.

"Sex crime" was Snow's excuse for castrating him, to divert attention away from his real reason. According to Lee and others.

> Snow definitely castrated the guy, and it sounds
> like Snow was known for being a violent and nasty
> guy, but in this case, I think the apologists'
> story makes more sense than Lee's account.

Since the "apologists' account" is clearly wrong about the wives, a detail easily researched, it's difficult to give the apologists ANY credence. As usual, it appears they're lying for the lard.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 09:46PM

Snow was one of Brigham's homies. It was Snow who accompanied Brig when BY selected the Manti temple site and claimed that Moroni personally dedicated the spot way back when.

Moroni visited Utah during his long lonely wanderings; who knew? </s>

Orson F. Whitney, "Life of Heber C. Kimball," p. 436:

"Early on the morning of April 25th, 1877, President Brigham Young asked Brother Warren S. Snow to go with him to the Temple hill. Brother Snow says: 'We two were alone: President Young took me to the spot where the Temple was to stand; we went to the southeast corner, and President Young said: "Here is the spot where the prophet Moroni stood and dedicated this piece of land for a Temple site, and that is the reason why the location is made here, and we can't move it from this spot; and if you and I are the only persons that come here at high noon today, we will dedicate this ground."'"

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 10:27PM

And as noted, nothing was done to Bishop Warren Snow, and he remained in Brigham Young's favor until end.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1995298

Date: July 12, 2017 12:33AM

I don't see anything in the thread link about Bishop Snow

Posted by: another oldie ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 01:20AM

Googling brought up these dates for wives of Warren Stone Snow (15June 1818-21Sep 1896) :

1. Mary Ann Voorhees Snow, mar. 23Dec 1846. age 24

2. Drusillah Higgins Snow, mar. 15May 1855. age 21

3. Maria Baum Snow (later, Horne) mar. 2 Dec 1856. age 16

4. Sarah Elizabeth Whiting Snow, mar. 20 Apr 1857. age 17

5. Mary Ann Brown Snow (later,Buchanan) mar 20 Apr 1857 age 15

Yes, he married both Sarah Whiting and Mary Ann Brown on the same day, unless the genealogy records are in error.

Date: July 12, 2017 01:48AM

So was the young woman in question Mary or Sarah? Or Maria...

Posted by: another oldie ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 03:08AM

Who knows, txrancher? I'm not an historian. I just googled. There is a life story of Mary Ann Brown on FamilySearch.org by one of her descendants. It says that she did obtain a divorce from Snow from Salt Lake and married Buchanan in 1860. Her daughter by Snow was raised as a Buchanan. And she had another 7 children. She went from one polygamous marriage to another, though, poor girl.

Ugh. I have to leave this subject now.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 06:21AM

Didn't they nail the boy's scrotum over the door of the tabernacle as a warning, or was that another case?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 09:28AM

This awful story is one the things that broke my shelf. Nailing the young man's parts over the door was Warren Snow's way of telling everyone: " I get my way, don't even think of messing with me." He was one of BY's buddies. And to think I used to revere Brigham Young.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 06:13PM

Somewhere I got the idea it wasn't just a simple castration but made the poor joker a telestial smoothie...probly not tho as he'd likely died from blood loss...what kind of barbaric animal nails junk to the church wall to scare the shit outta anyone who might crosshis edicts...the same kind that kills women and children at mmm...and. They said the Missourians were a rough bunch...good hell not many I've heard of worse than $&@& Mormons

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.