Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: annabelle ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 05:40PM

when the missionaries came to your door? Being a young convert (under 18) I feel I was defrauded by the missionaries and the church. How many of us end up leaving the church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 06:42PM

That describes me to a t.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 06:57PM

I'll apologize in advance...I was one of the missionaries doing the defrauding, and looking for people just like you. I was young and stupid (in my defense)...

Fortunately I only found one person like you. The rest blew me off, to their great credit. And that one person left the church 2 years after I went home -- we're now friends on Facebook and laugh about how stupid we both were.

I hope you can laugh about it a little bit...?

Posted by: cynful ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 07:43PM

I wasn't young or naive by any means, however I most definitely had a longing for more family closeness. Very ironic, especially since my entire family was as never Mo as could possibly be, and I "investigated" all alone while making a few fake, phony "friends" along the way. I was never so lonely in my life as I was during that time. Again, very ironic.

As is often the case, and certainly in mine, I was vulnerable and depressed, and looking for some kind of "connection" in my life. My very brief involvement with TSCC (only a few months), actually had an extremely negative effect, especially on my marriage.

It sure didn't take long for the light bulb in my brain to come on. After not even five months, I was done, done, and done.

Wow... I know we all learn from our mistakes and that we all make them. To this day, and always, I am SO grateful to have left it all behind quickly and moved on with my life.

Thank you all for sharing, and especially for listening. :-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2017 07:48PM by cynful.

Posted by: scg73 ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 08:27PM

Ironically, I was always dead set against having a family of my own; which was a major part of the reason I got out at age 19.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 11, 2017 09:31PM

You hit it on the head! I was young, naive, and seeking a father-figure--enter in the TBM who introduced me to the Morg...yes, he could have been David Koresh or any other cult leader...(sigh). The Boner.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 11:13AM

Well, two outta three ain't bad.

I was young and naive but I was raised in a very abusive home. The idea of being with my family for eternity sounded like a horrible, horrible prison sentence. Holding that up to me as the motivational carrot to be Good® completely backfired. I would sit in class, being told that my ultimate goal in life was to have that forever family and all I could think is, "I'd rather burn in hell for eternity than spend it with my family."

What I was longing for was security and stability, not having to walk on eggshells in my own home, not have to wonder when I would make some completely innocuous, harmless mistake and would be severely punished for it. I didn't want to live a life where my partner and I were constantly sniping and backbiting and undermining each other. I didn't want the constant power struggles.

As I became an adult, I figured out ways to remove toxic people from my life or at least go Very Low Contact and how to put people on Information Diets. Now when I walk into my home, the atmosphere is calming -- it's a relief and a refuge from the stresses and obstacles of everyday life. THAT's what I wanted, not to spend friggin' ETERNITY with my abusive asshole parents.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.