Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sb ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 02:37PM

One thing that took a while to realize and get out of my soul is the white superiority nods in Mormonism.

From the BOM (dark skin as a punishment for even the innocent descendants to words, like loathsome, ugly, marked, etc)

to modern talks about not mixing races, black skin curses, ETB's talks about civil rights being the devil's plan, to the patriarchy of taking native kids from their families etc

The Mormon church has, at least since BY had an ugly vein of racism in its doctrine, many of the former nonsense from BY has been buried in their minds, but these undertones are still alive today.

Every ugly human tendency for injustice and ignorance has been embraced by the LDS church at one point or another as doctrine.

if we can figure out racism, sexism and homophobia are wrong in the secular world, you'd think the church would not only apologize, move faster or at least not defend those practices with mealy-mouth deflections and gas-lighting.

you want to know if the church is true or not:

they teach racism and say they don't, they proclaimed it from the rooftops and now they "don't know if they ever taught that", their prophets declared it the word of God almighty and now they reject those declarations. it cant be both.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 02:42PM

The foundation of Mormonism is white supremacy, among other things. Every Mormon I knew hated president Obama. I don't think it was political. Their love for the new president shows a distinct lack of concern for political experience and talent.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 02:56PM

Orange is evidently the new black in presidential politics Don.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 05:35PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 12:47AM

Dang ! I'll never be able to top that one ! *LOL*

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 01:58PM

True story: I had a nice African-American single mom in the cab last week, and she acknowledged she was LDS...

We did get around to the subject of racism, and her take was Mormons "aren't unique, and it'll never go away"

Just the reporter on this one folks; I did give her directions to this site...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 10:38PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 05:46AM

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 04:12PM

It's there, and it's ridiculous. Some of the older members have it and don't even know it.

A recent conversation about it with a TBM explained that the curse of cain was real; the reason the change was made in (1978?) so that Negroid people can now hold the priesthood is that the designated time for the curse to run its course is now up.

Oh.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 12, 2017 05:06PM

The grifters that created Mormonism had no idea views which they thought would last forever didn't last forever and became socially repugnant.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2017 05:06PM by anybody.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 02:55AM

They excommunicate people like Kate Kelley, while racists like this Mormon "Nordic Sunrise" blogger discussed before are left to spread their hate.

https://wifewithapurpose.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2017 02:56AM by adoylelb.

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 02:06PM

I actually have a close friend who had some scary encounters with church members (in high rank I might add) who were also in the KKK (in Illinois).. they shot her dog (luckily he survived) because she had made friends with a white neighbor living with a black man. They eventually were all driven out and her marriage ended (luckily he was an abusive cheating bastard) around the same time. Her husband was friends with the KKK member and a sympathizer (and then she wondered if he even was part of it too) and guess what the bishop cleared him of his adultery because his then wife (my friend) had stopped going to church. So his affair with a TBM was still more valid and righteous than being married to an apostate!

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 02:10PM

Church leaders, I think one of the prophets even, not too many decades ago, have even said that blacks (primarily African descent) where here to 'represent Satan on earth'!! I saw it in a youtube video on racism in Mormonism. Can't remember the video or I'd share the link, but I think it was made in the 70s.

Sickeningly one of two of the comments to that video were in agreement to that statement! Unfortunately there are still racists like that in the world and they love to troll around the internet where they don't have to opening take credit for their f-ed up views.

Yeah definitely a racist church, at least in origins, I don't think all members are.. but then again it's so imbedded in the doctrine. They may not 'think' they are, but likely don't see dark skinned people as equals.

Posted by: anon 4 this ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 02:21PM

The video (as I recall) showed someone quoting the profit, but the quote itself was not recent.

John Taylor, August 28, 1881, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 22, p. 304:

"And after the flood we are told that the curse that had been pronounced upon Cain was continued through Ham's wife, as he had married a wife of that seed. And why did it pass through the flood? Because it was necessary that the devil should have a representation upon the earth as well as God…"

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 02:18PM

Right on, sb!

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 03:14PM

The White Supremacy undertones was one of the reasons that I left the church.

Interesting to find out that Ezra Taft Benson taught that Civil Rights was the plan of the devil. But it makes sense since the TSCC had no part of it, and waited until well after that movement (and well after the "apostate" churches integrated) to give the priesthood to "all worthy males."

While I was still a TBM, there were some things that jumped out at me. The fact that Adam and Eve in the first and third movies (shown in the temple) were Caucasian, and how many people that were in the ward that I used to belong to were talking a lot about how the Eve in the second movie "looked Polynesian or Native American." I also remember my roommate saying, "Well, I guess that's good...in a way..." Hinting that Adam and Eve should be White. And the fact that there will probably never be a Adam and Eve of African heritage, or a GA of African heritage...at least until 2030...maybe...

Then there is the Book of Mormon. Even though they tried to clean it up by changing the "white and delightsome" to "pure and delightsome" the fact that the Lamanites still turned turned dark...and the Nephites weren't allowed to "mix" with them was still there.

There's also Nephi 13 - where there's a claim that the Mormon God led Columbus to "discover" America...when in reality, he just made a wrong turn. And the line of "I noticed they people were white, exceedingly fair and beautiful like my people had been."

There's no hiding the "curse of dark skin there.

There's more, but that might make for a long post.

Posted by: anon 4 this ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 03:38PM

Hey wait now, the church was *never* racist! Ever!

Want proof? The church even says so!

Alexander B. Morrison – of the Seventy, no less! – wrote this in the Sept. 2000 Ensign ("No More Strangers," p. 16):

"[R]acism is an offense against God and a tool in the devil's hands… How grateful I am that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has from its beginnings stood strongly against racism in any of its malignant manifestations."

Take that, exmos! </s>

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 03:49PM

anon 4 this Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey wait now, the church was *never* racist!
> Ever!
>
> Want proof? The church even says so!
>
> Alexander B. Morrison – of the Seventy, no less!
> – wrote this in the Sept. 2000 Ensign ("No More
> Strangers," p. 16):
>
> "acism is an offense against God and a tool in the
> devil's hands… How grateful I am that The Church
> of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has from its
> beginnings stood strongly against racism in any of
> its malignant manifestations."
>
> Take that, exmos!

Thank you, anon 4 this. While reading that quote from on of God's anointed, Alexander B. Morrison, I felt the "burning of the bosom" which testified of the truthfulness of the church having never been racist. It must be God, so it must be true. So what if there are many books hidden in the TSCC's library that claim otherwise.

I will now repent of the evil that I had spoken of against God's only one true church.

</s>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 03:50PM by severedpuppetstrings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.