Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: friendly ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 04:43PM

how it's possible that I don't believe when there are so many ruins that scream book of mormon in central america?

mmmm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 05:13PM

LOL. Oh REALLY? First I've heard of it, LOL. Did they go into details or follow up with any actual kind of proof? Likely it was just hearsay to them. I love how Mormons spread all kinds of gossip about all the ways in which you can 'prove' their church is 'true' when none of them actually do any kind of research or investigation into those alleged pieces of 'evidence.'

And what does Central America have to do with it? The plates were supposedly found in NORTH America and it supposed to be an account of North American peoples.. if anything happened in Central America, why would Moroni have gone all the way up to New York to bury his plates? It's pretty freaking far away, esp. for those days.. and wasn't that while he was basically dying? And why was I always led to believe by TSCC that the BoM was exclusively written about our country (USA land)?

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 05:14PM

How did you respond?

Posted by: friendly ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 05:35PM

I said that I was certain that the ruins aren't related to jews.

He asked me how it's possible to reconcile 13 witnesses and the golden plates.

I said - spiritual eyes.

He said what do you mean?

I said - you need to get out more.

he actually laughed.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 05:29PM

Because there isn't any evidence of the crops or animals mentioned in the BoM pre-Columbus? Not exactly advanced agricultural history.

Posted by: ..... ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 07:44PM

don't forget steel forging too!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 05:34PM

Ask back:

Why do they only scream that to mormons?

Why do they scream....Mayans, Incas, Aztecs, etc., to the rest of the entire world....all of whom have nothing to do with the book of mormon?

Why is that?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 05:59PM

Ask him to provide pictures of the murals, scultures or glyphs that represent or depict horses, oxen, elephants or swine.

Ask him to show you weapons made of steel or iron, particularly swords or scimitars.

Ask him for pictures of roads that would support chariots and pictures or scupltures depicting chariots.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 06:05PM

first off the ruins that are spoken of predate the so called migration of Lehi and co. by thousands of years. The Olmec and Toltec civilizations have no connection to an imagined migratio of Hebrews.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 12:40AM

Hey are just going to tell you those are the Jarodite people. There is no point arguing with them...

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 12:47AM

I used to look at maps of what is in Central America along with the dates the various cities were populated. None of them ever matched what was in the BoM. Before that I assumed that the narrow neck of land was the narrow bit of land between Central and South America (I am sure that is what Joseph Smith had in mind). Then others more learned than I explained that it all took place in Central America. They also explained to me that the directions mentioned in the BoM were different somehow. So North to them was some other random direction, making the Sea West (or East?) not where we would think it was. Yet somehow Joseph Smith found Nephite ruins in Missouri. None of it made any sense to me, but if someone is willing to accept that nonsense, then they will accept anything the church tells them.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 07:11PM

So...there is evidence that a civilization existed during the time that the Nephites allegedly existed? That's it! I'm going back to church on Sunday.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 07:17PM

Hahaha! But they even have tours!

Posted by: buffy ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 01:30AM

When I was 14 (1967) my family went to Mexico to see the pyramids.

IDK what the hell my mother had been reading, but she acted like she knew it all. She went on and on about how the white God Quetzaqcoatal (sp?) was Jesus himself. Blah blah blah. This was a woman who had never owned or read a BoM. This was some shit she'd heard in GD class or from someone. I never saw her read a book the entire time i've known her. My father was even more of an illiterate than her.

I remember thinking that she was full of shit. Time went on, and she went over the top crazy about everything mormon even though she'd never cracked open a book. This was decades before the internet. Not that it would have made a difference. She still doesn't read anything. She still believes whatever it was someone told her in the 60's. She'd even stand up and give sworn testimony to the truth of it all. This was the crazy I was raised by.

It's taken me years of therapy to flush the crazy BS out of my mind. I did whatever it took to do that. I'm clean for 6 years now, and pretty sure there will be NO relapses.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 01:38AM

Ask ur neighbor...

Why did the LDS church change Joe from "AUTHOR" (First Ed. Witness Stmnt) to "TRANSLATOR"(2nd Ed.);

Did ALL the 8 wits assent to this change????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 01:39AM by GNPE.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 02:00AM

VERY good question! I never knew, wow. But I'm sure TBMs would come up with a good explanation, lol.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 02:12AM

I wrote COB & asked;

(Non) Response: "We don't know"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.