Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JBF ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 11:53PM

Many people are giving these numbers for Membership Numbers for the LDS Church:

about 10,000 members are resigning their membership per month
about 1/3 of the youth are leaving the church
about 1/3 of all returned missionaries are leaving the church
about 1/10 of all new missionaries going out into the field return home within 6 months

What type of numbers are you getting about the LDS Church growth?
How about temple attendance?
Ward growth?
Etc.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: July 13, 2017 11:54PM

Wow, I like those stats, good news!

I don't even have a good idea of TSCC's overall membership numbers, if anyone does I'd be interested to hear..

Posted by: Oregn ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 12:23AM

I still say that when the church claims it has 15 million members, that number is the TOTAL number of members since 1830. NO ONE IS BEING REMOVED FROM THE SECRET MEMBERSHIP ROLES. Prove me wrong.

Posted by: Eastbourne ( )
Date: July 15, 2017 11:46AM

Not trying to prove you wrong, but if you can half-way believe the church's baptismal numbers of say 300k converts/children of record per year you'd get 9 or so million in 30 years. See cumorah.com

Sounds plausible that another 6 million gullible people could be found prior to 1987, especially if you don't cull the records of members at their deaths, but keep them till they're 110.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: July 15, 2017 12:59PM

Not sure if this relates to the above statistic exactly, but according to the LDS Church....

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Membership_record000-11046228

For statistical and reporting purposes, the following persons are members of record and should have a membership record:

- Those who have been baptized and confirmed.
- Those under age nine who have been blessed but not baptized.
- Those who are not accountable because of intellectual disabilities, regardless of age.

- Unblessed children under age eight when:
-- Two member parents request you create a record.
-- One member parent requests you create a record and the nonmember parent gives permission.

A person who is nine years or older who has a membership record but has not been baptized and confirmed is not considered a member of record. However, the bishop keeps the membership record until the person is 18. At that time if the person chooses not to be baptized despite being given every opportunity, the bishop, with written permission from the stake president, may cancel the membership record. He should not, however, cancel membership records of persons not considered accountable because of mental disabilities.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 12:49AM

5 billion Muslims on the planet and the LDS church claims to be the ONLY true church on the planet with a measly 15 million? Just looking at the numbers, doesn't make sense. I have been in a deep sleep for 40 years! Only true church indeed! I was told in my PB I am "special",twice. Gee, I don't feel special,... loved, needed or wanted as far as that goes. I am experiencing the new world of being alienated from the world. I am still me, just without the church lady title. I told my 83y/o pentacostal friend about what I have been reading. She told when I first met her-"Your church is a cult." She is so happy my eyes have been opened. BTW I won't become a pentacostal either, she speaks in tongues which creeps me out. I told her I am gonna start being mean and steal her tomatoes! Told her I might take to cussing some now and then, maybe start smoking pot. She got a good laugh out of that. She has known me a while and doesn't believe it for a minute. But, what? My member number is in the 3 millions.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: July 15, 2017 04:25AM

Five billion Muslims in the world? Is that hyperbole? Seems a little high for the planet only having seven billion people.

Posted by: Cabbie (NLI) ( )
Date: July 15, 2017 01:19PM

Per Pew Research, Muslims with 1.8 billion adherents, make up 24% of the world population. Christians, with 2.3 billion are still the most numerous (31%).

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/05/christians-remain-worlds-largest-religious-group-but-they-are-declining-in-europe/

My other sources gave similar figures. Islam is the world's fastest growing religion...

Date: July 14, 2017 12:53AM

WHOA! I figured it out. The INCREASE is all the newly baptized DEAD Mormons! Am I a genius or what? Dead Mormons count,too!

Date: July 14, 2017 01:04AM

Go to www.mormoninformation.com/stats.htm and ask the q? "Does the LDS church have 15 million members?" Very nice chart how they calculated everything. Fascinating. I googled the q and this was one of the many places to find an answer.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: July 14, 2017 09:31PM

I thought I heard an apostle (President Nelson) say in GC that the church has baptized 100m people in the temple. Don't know if that's true or another lie considering some dead folks have been baptized multiple times, i.e., Elvis Presley was baptized over 20 times. None of their numbers add up. Real current membership number maybe less than 10m. I wonder what the cult will do with all the empty church buildings and temples?

Posted by: Oregon ( )
Date: July 15, 2017 01:19AM

OK from the LDS website they claim 30,304 Congregations. 40 yrs in the church our every ward I ever attended, with the exception of Utah had about 100 people. And having visited many overseas wards with rarely more than 50 people. So let's just go full on conservative. 30,304 x 100 people. That is around 3 million people total. What am I missing here?

To hit 15 million people each ward has to be around 500 people. WTF?

Posted by: JBF ( )
Date: July 15, 2017 03:41AM

You need to realize that when LDS say 15,000.000, that is what is on the books as baptized members of record.

What you are calculating is the ACTIVE amount of members, You can figure about 2/3 to 3/4 of the LDS Church is INACTIVE.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 15, 2017 06:00AM

It's like a burger franchise, but less nutritious and with more clowns. 15 million served.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 15, 2017 02:13AM

LDS egos, along with their thirst for 'positive PR' dictate that they focus on numbers rather than what's best for individuals.
That's the Truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2017 02:15AM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.