Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 10:46AM

can be a good medicine, IMO. I try to keep a sense of humor in the back of my mind whenever I encounter negative situations in life, whether dealing with the aftermath after finding out the truth about the church, or any stressful event that comes along. I realize that there are horrible things that happen that comedy or sense of humor are totally out of place and are of no help, but I had times in my life where I turned to comedy to escape or to cope. For example, a few years ago, I took a hard fall and wound up fracturing my back in 2 places. Even though I was in pain while waiting for help to arrive, I thought of the ending in "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World", and said something funny to those helping me that made everyone laugh. My favorite funny TV shows are I Love Lucy and M*A*S*H*. How do you feel about a sense of humor to cope, and what are some of your favorite shows/movies?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 11:03AM

my kids and I used dark humor to get by. I also had some Jeff Foxworthy tapes and rather than listening to music in the car, we'd listen to Jeff Foxworthy.

We went to a jerk for a doctor. He just happened to be my ex's doctor and I took my kids to him for antidepressants (which they did need at the time). He was talking to them very seriously about their father being gay and leaving us. He had a brother who is gay and this doctor is VERY MORMON. I told him we use a lot of dark humor and he got angry at me and told me that this situation was inappropriate for that.

Well, it got us through. My kids both have a very good sense of humor and so do my niece and nephews (who spent a lot of time with us). I don't know what we would have done without our ability to laugh even on some of the worst days.

My brother lived here with us for a while and he couldn't get over how my kids interacted with their father and the things they talked about. They'd all laugh and laugh. They'd even give their dad humorous relationship advice like not to have sex on the first date, etc. My brother found it very refreshing.

The reality is that when it got to a point that I wasn't laughing is when they needed to look closer at where I was mentally and emotionally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2017 11:05AM by cl2.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 11:06AM

the first thing religion does is take away a person's sense of humor.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: July 22, 2017 06:57PM

I haven't been able to find humor in life. Because of my blind faith, I made life long decisions that cannot be reversed. There is no way out of my situation.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 22, 2017 07:08PM

You're not yet in on the joke. TSCC is the sharpest satire on the planet. Watch GC videos and see how seriously these self-deluded fools take themselves. It's really funny. Stick around here. Things will improve.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: July 22, 2017 07:09PM

They won't

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 22, 2017 08:25PM

I'm sorry you're feeling down. The church told you to trust them, and you did. Shame on them. Maybe you're depressed. Please get help if you can. I wish I'd had counseling when it all came crashing down. Unlike TSCC, we care about you. You don't have to follow rules or pay money. You are human, so we care. That's what normal people do.

Maybe TSCC taught you and I a fatalistic outlook. I'm trying to beat it. Things are not predestined, at least not in the ways we assume. I wish I could tell you how I went from believing "life is a crock of shit" to "life is a beautiful gift". It happened during my transition out of the church, but my shamanic excursions may have done something too.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 22, 2017 08:37PM

I married someone gay because they told me to save him. He cheated from 2-1/2 years into our marriage and left me. My life went to hell in ways I can't explain.

Without my niece doing things like burning his picture out of a group picture on a really bad day and other things like that, we couldn't have made it. I hate to admit it, but when my ex and his boyfriend would go on vacation, I'd tell the kids "If something happens to him, what are we going to do?" And they'd shout, "Go to Disneyland." (He has really good life insurance.) He abandoned them, too. His boyfriend was everything. The guy who cheated on him and left him.

Now my ex lives with me. We were just chatting about how his CURRENT BOYFRIEND of 5 years has been cheating on him for a year now. He is devastated.

It's been 20 years since my ex walked out the door. My life has changed in drastic ways. The pain is always there. I've been diagnosed with PTSD, but I find humor in life. My daughter loves it when I just start laughing at something and can't quit.

As I've told others, for me, there were still dreams to be had. I just didn't know it. I'll always be scarred. In fact, my therapist just asked me a few weeks ago, "How'd you do it? How'd you pick yourself up from where you were 20 years ago?" Well, one thing is I found him a year after that. He saved me. He gave me back my life. I kept putting one foot in front of the other. He actually uses my story in speeches he gives nationwide.

I just turned 60. No matter what you think they did to your life, there is still more life to live. My dogs have been a huge part of my finding joy. My kids agree. So do my ex and my boyfriend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2017 08:39PM by cl2.

Posted by: Captain Klutz ( )
Date: July 24, 2017 12:06AM

There are always options as long as you're on the right side of the grass. It might be difficult, but I'm sure you can find a way to fix what's wrong. Please don't give up...reach out to somebody outside of TSCC.

I am a never-mo athiest/pastafarian who has never posted here before...your comments have me very worried for you. It can get better.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 22, 2017 08:39PM

I am a strong supporter of the healing power of laughter/humor. I've often thought that the doctor ought to prescribe some funny take home movies or some cartoon books that the patient finds very funny as part of recovery! The health benefits are well established.

My first response, when I realized that Joseph Smith Jr told whoppers and got people to believe him, was to snicker, then laugh and laugh. Oh My Gosh. That's funny stuff.

Then I remembered some advice a stake president told me! Don't take it all so seriously! OK. Sounds good to me. I won't!

I use laughter every single day to deal with everything in my life. Sometimes I laugh and laugh at myself when I do something really goofy.

I was raised by what I often refer to as "Depression Era Parental Units" who had an amazing sense of humor about everything that happened in their lives. It's come naturally to me, to see and find the humor and to "think funny" a lot.

I've claimed that Mormonism is very funny stuff (well, except when they are killing people.) Really funny. Regulation underwear that is sacred? How corny is that? A Book of Mormon about imaginary people, places and things, and plagiarized that people think is the word of God? That's hilarious! Paying 10% of your income to go to their temples and play dress ups? Ya.. that is funny stuff.

Life is so much more fun, enjoyable and full when we are enjoying it, laughing, seeing the humor in our foibles, and having a good laugh several times a day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2017 08:41PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 12:45PM

Joy is the silent whisper within the soul that helps to overcome despair.

The church tried to own us, and deprive us of our joy when we decided to leave.

That's one of those things it has zero control over.

Joy is found in the least of things, and at the most impromptu moments.

That is ours to own, period.

It may be cultivated, or grow like a wild rose springing up in the wilderness. You just never know where it will be found, like happiness.

If you go searching for it you won't find it. It's found within, not from without.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 02:09PM

Mormons, esp Monson and GAs think they are so funny but they are not. Creeps.

I've heard so many MORONs say how much they laugh, how funny this it was when this or that happened at church, 'have to laugh at yourself'. Sure, folks. Sure.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 05:07PM

Beer, a good friend, cussing, and loud laughter always lighten my heart! Give a loud Hi-Ja-To-Ho-Ho and kick one back! Wotan's Boner.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.