Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 11:41AM

????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 12:05PM

Yes, but to whomever I feel like praying to at the time. Usually myself, but sometimes to Goddess or "God inside". Sometimes Joe Pesci.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 12:16PM

I've found praying to Thor has provided satisfactory results.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 12:24PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 12:28PM

Sure. Probably 2/3rds or so of the people in the world do.

Of course, there's nothing whatsoever to suggest that praying does anything other than a mild placebo effect for the person praying...which is why I don't pray.

But that doesn't keep lots of people from doing it. :)

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 12:36PM

Pray and meditate. For a while after I left, I rejected the whole notion, but after dealing with a lot of depression and shit, I decided that whatever helps you get through the day. If it doesn't hurt you or anyone else, why not.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 01:21PM

A few moments after I realized the Mormon church was a fraud, I looked up to the sky and said, "I want to experience everything."

That was my last prayer, and no, I did not say, "Inthenamajesuscristamen." This was decades ago. The results have been good.

Date: July 27, 2017 07:54PM

But now we end a prayer- In the name of cheese an' rice and rattly snakes. That's what I've read in these threads......
EDIT--- That is the NAME of the church. I meant to say we end a prayer with-"in the name of cheese and rice. amen."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2017 11:23PM by cutekitty.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 02:10PM

If you're looking for demonstrative results or concrete evidence, then I question your theology. The most common error is praying to a "Santa Claus" deity, "Dear Deity, what I want/need is..." or the concept that prayer can be so formulated to somehow "make" God do something. Also high on the problem list is the ritual prayer, recited by rote (the "Our Father," "Hail Mary," "Allahu Akbar," "Hare Krishna"). On those, I'll agree with HieTwoCornCob, above, that any efficacy is probably mere placebo effect.

I pray because Yahweh's people in the Bible prayed, and because Scripture tells me to. I confess that for me, it does not come easily--it's a very deliberate effort. I have had several tenuous "answers," which the board skeptics would dismiss as insufficient evidence, and twice when something very important worked out that was not otherwise explainable.

Prayer is a matter of "comfort," true, but I think the skeptics overuse that explanation in a disparaging, dismissive way ("whatever floats your boat"), and suggests a certain elitism on their part.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 05:35PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Prayer is a matter of "comfort," true, but I think
> the skeptics overuse that explanation in a
> disparaging, dismissive way ("whatever floats your
> boat"), and suggests a certain elitism on their
> part.

Elitism? Nope.
Rationality? Yep.

Simply 'cause "...I can't explain..." doesn't mean "god did it."
Ever. :)

Posted by: leslie ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 03:04PM

Yes, absolutely. God has been there for me when no one else was.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 29, 2017 06:12PM

The transcendental Everyman, not the Mormon asshole.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 12:33PM

leslie Wrote:
> Yes, absolutely. God has been there for me when
> no one else was.

Why didn't he send someone to keep you company or be your friend?

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 03:14PM

Not for anything, not for years.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 12:01AM

I get bitter when I think about it. If there is a deity, he/she is doing a piss-poor job of running the cosmos. If the biggest insult I can offer is to turn my back, so be it.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 03:22PM

I remember praying so hard as a Mormon I would burst into tears because I wanted an answer so desperately. Never got any answers. Stopped praying. Stopped crying.

Life is a much happier experience since I stopped praying to the mattress and expecting to get an answer.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 04:41PM

Pooped Wrote:
> I remember praying so hard as a Mormon I would
> burst into tears because I wanted an answer so
> desperately. Never got any answers. Stopped
> praying. Stopped crying.
>
> Life is a much happier experience since I stopped
> praying to the mattress and expecting to get an
> answer.

I'm nevermo, but used to be a Christian, and I did the same thing--prayed so hard I was in tears, but never got an answer, so I realized there was nobody listening, and stopped. Things are better when you realize that nobody "all powerful" is listening. I will admit that sometimes I might still mutter to myself or my pillow, "Mother,if you're somewhere on the other plane and can hear me, I could use a little help with (whatever). Or--if you can hear me, it's okay if you're not Mother--I'll gladly take the help from anybody around there who gives a shit. Daddy? Granddaddy? Grandma? Mike? Tony? Barb? Willie?" (names of some friends who have passed).

Of course it doesn't work better than prayer, but makes me feel better to know that if anybody on "the other side" does ever hear me, at least they know they are not forgotten. ;)

Posted by: sbj ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 08:37PM

Sounds like you got an answer....it's not true

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 04:52PM

Don't pray using any form.

However, I do meditate/talk to 'spirit guide, universe' and show gratitude for things and ask for things.

Basically, it is prayer without any mention of JC.

Works for me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2017 04:53PM by spiritist.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 01:49PM

That's kinda me. No christian deity involved. In fact, no deity involved.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 05:27PM

Not I. Always felt like I was talking to a post...or less.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 08:04PM

I pray every single day of my life. I start the day with a prayer and end it with a prayer.

Prayer has helped me throughout my life in myriad ways. I went through an agnostic phase as a young adult. When I hit rock bottom, without an anchor, I prayed for guidance and asked if God is real to let me know.

That prayer was answered and many more to follow. Both as a Mormon and an ex-Mo.

In hindsight I've seen that I needed the facade of Mormonism to be stripped from my life, because it was an impediment to my having a closer relationship with my Creator. The cult's emphasis is to worship the cult, Joseph Smith, the false phony prophets leading the church today, and follow every single command they spoonfeed members - in essence we were not allowed to think for ourselves.

God didn't create us to be like dumb sheep or he wouldn't have given us intellects. The cult has no tolerance for intellectualism because that threatens its survival. Is it any wonder?

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 08:19PM

I rejoice in the fact I am not stupid enough anymore to pray to anything ever, ever, again.

Posted by: savagestarlight ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 08:28PM

I do. I pray to God a lot but I don't go to a church. I believe in God and the Bible but I don't like organized religion.

Date: July 27, 2017 10:03PM

Thanks for all your input. It is nice to know I'm not alone.

I still pray over food, especially restaurant food, that it won't make me sick or fat. I know this is silly, BUT, I don't get sick- heartburn. I know if I do get sick, it was the food I ate.

I am fascinated by spiritist not using any form in a prayer/ meditation? Who are you directing your thought processes to? What do you visualize in your head? Is your "spirit guide,universe" aka 'gawd'?... No JC, ok.

I get the "cheese and rice and rattly snakes" thing.

When I was a TBM, I prayed to 'a guy, sitting in a big chair, (in my mind) looking at me and HEARING my heart pour out to him.' POOF!
That idea is gone by the seaside.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 10:26PM

I actually do pray/meditate to God.

When I had a psychology class the instructor showed me a 'God meditation' that is pretty effective to take some issues (hurts, health issues, but can do many things) to.

He (I am sure he is LDS) taught us to visualize God as a 'Bright Light' and I do.

Is that 'God'? Not mine, but for meditation purposes this visualization works for me.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 10:07PM

It took me a long time to completely let go of that, but now I see no point to it whatsoever.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 10:17PM

Sometimes I find myself talking to God.

I've been told you only need to worry if he talks back to you. ;-)

Prayer is more a contemplative, meditative process for me that helps me to gain insights into situations I wouldn't have had otherwise, or direction. Sometimes it's given me comfort and assurance.

More often than not it's become a habit for me, so I pray no matter what's going on. When problems arise I may pray more intently about whatever it is that's perplexing. Other times when good things happen I stop to give thanks.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 10:48PM

I got tired of talking to myself pretending I was talking to someone who never talked back. He never picked up the phone once!

My prayers were answered about 50/50, same as when I prayed to a pet rock.

Besides, if someone believes that God will do "God's will," why bother asking him to do what he is going to do anyway (remember, he's supposed to already know everything)? Do they really think God is going to say, "Wow, well since you prayed I guess I'll do what you requested!"

I can understand prayer used as sort of a way to have a calming focus or venting moment, or whatever.

You have to wonder when people pray out of hopelessness to a god who apparently didn't have any problem letting them get that way.

Prayer is kind of like Dumbo's feather. People don't realize it was the strength they had from within to deal with their problems all along. It wasn't the feather. Give yourself credit for pulling yourself out of a slump. There are plenty of good and bad things that happen that you didn't pray about and they happened anyway. Circumstance and contingency happen.

The last years that I prayed, I never prayed for myself. With all the real suffering and problems in the world, I prayed for others and big issues. So many people live and die suffering their entire lives in horrible ways. Then I realized more gets done with elbow grease than hands clasped in prayer.

I think prayer sometimes is just a way of not having to actually do anything ("I'll pray for you!). Maybe it helps express concern when there is nothing you can do.

I don't miss the groveling and feeling like a child hoping to gain favor with daddy.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 10:50PM

Oh boy, dagny, you've really hit on a lot of my own feelings and thoughts with that one.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 10:51PM

Praying is talking to yourself.

Some people get some positive results by talking it out amongst one's self....

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 10:58PM

Nope. Prayer is mental masturbation -- it makes you feel good while doing nothing whatsoever for who you're thinking of. I'm not that arrogant.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2017 11:19PM

Pray to a deity? No. No need. If I am required to have a deity, I would choose: Deism, the kind of god that does not interfere in people's lives.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 12:03AM

praying is begging

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 10:47PM

For WHAT?

I give thanks often. I'm thankful (I guess) - I'm alive (it seems).

M@t

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 28, 2017 10:53PM

Praying to get a certain result is certainly a waste of time if you think you are asking a deity to intercede for you.

The religious world view makes no sense.

*If God's will be done, then praying is an exercise in futility unless you are asking God to do what he was already going to do, so what's the point.

*If God is in control, as religious people reassure each other, then praying is pointless, he already has a plan...

*If God has a plan, then who are you to ask him to change his plan? You can't see the future and he can, so...

*If God's will is to be done, and if God is in control, and if God has a plan, then WTF? He should be impeached immediately.

Kathleen

Posted by: Lilac ( )
Date: July 29, 2017 12:04AM

This, exactly! Praying just doesn't make sense. Especially from a religious perspective. But religion doesn't follow any logic, ever. The second I realized there was no god was the second I never prayed again.

Date: July 28, 2017 11:48PM

I will add to that thought: In the name of cheese and rice. Amen and amen. Well said Kathleen.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: July 29, 2017 05:16PM

Not me but I have felt the urge to pray. Then I pause and ask myself..."To Whom Would I Pray?"

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: July 29, 2017 06:47PM

Always. More of a meditation though.

Posted by: beanhead ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 11:04PM

Yeah I pray, but only while rapping and busting some sweet moves:

MC Hammer Pray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mye1aCskFcM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 08:28AM

Pray to god and then pray to Joe Pesci and see if the results are different.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 03:28PM

Yes. I pray to make sure I have gratitude for the things I have and the amazing world I live in. I also ask for things I'm feeling I need like guidance, alertness, an open mind. No, I don't get on my knees and pray to a fictional Godman in the sky. I light my chalice and pray to "the spirit of life, mother of us all." Which is my way of trying to channel the forces of nature and my inner awareness to make myself be in tune with the world around me.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 03:33PM

Although, as an atheist, I pray to Mother Nature since Elohim is so unreliable.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 05:30PM

When the vet said the biopsy came back with "no cancer found" I did thank whomever might be ought there--if applicable. But generally, no.

I do meditate 45 minutes every day, though.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 03:26PM

No, it's pointless. All prayer left me with is more anxiety and depression. Despite my yearning, my profuse gratitude, and studying the scriptures, the answers never came.

I can't get into meditation. It's too difficult to focus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 03:27PM by abby.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 06:43PM

No, I don't pray anymore.

I did when I was misled to believe there is a man in the sky who can intervene and make things happen (for the better).

A habit/ritual of a lifetime wiped out in an instant of realising there wasn't a heavenly dad in the sky watching me.

Posted by: mountainbike ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 02:42PM

I used to pray every night when I was in my early to mid teens. I Would pray for strength to pass school exams, succeed at challenges, etc. In a way I thought that if I prayed to "God" that in return I'd get some kind of extra energy boost in whatever I wanted/needed. As I grew older, I began to question the whole thing of praying. I decided to scientifically prove it to myself if it actually works or not (for me).

So, I spent a week deliberately NOT praying the night before tests and quizzes in school and I wanted to see if I performed any differently.

I did not perform any better, or any worse. My grades were exactly the same as I had been getting when I was praying.

This was a big moment for me. I demonstrated to myself that logically there wasn't any energy gain/loss from performing the act to any type of higher power that has the ability to influence me, so I drastically reduced my "official" time praying.

Since then, I have really opened myself up to what the world offers. I started to observe. I find myself reflecting in life many times in different situations (sunsets, mountain views, being on the farm) and the older I get the more I appreciate that I and noone on earth really has the answers to everything. It's becomming clear to me that there is some type of higher power-just by observing everything around me and connecting the dots how it all works and cycles. It's a beautiful thing. So, you can call my reflections a form of prayer, but it's definitely not what I was brought up to do in an official manner. At the end of the day I think whatever works for you, do it. But for me, the older I get, the more the world shows me, the more it put my ego aside and the more I am put into place by the cosmos.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 11:03AM

No.

I talk to myself enough already. ;-)

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 08:55PM

No.As an Athiest that would silly.Even if I did believe in God it seems like begging for help. I think my God would say something like "Organize your life better. I have no idea where you put your damn car keys and checkbook"

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 01:42PM

whoever, whatever is out there never answered....so I quit calling a long time ago

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.