Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: druid ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 04:07AM

LMAO. Randomly surfing cable channels tonight and stopped on an old favorite show in progress, Sense and Sensibility. NewName Agnus sitting beside me mentioned how the top of the women's dresses looked out of focus and kind of fuzzy . Turns out we were on the BYU Channel. Yes, BYU morality police had blurred the cleavage of both Emma Thompson (Elinor) and Kate Winslet (Marianne). The blur line actually made it look like they were showing more skin not less. LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lover ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 10:40AM

I've seen that effect applied in a different movie on YT, an Anthony Hopkins movie called "Solace." There's a brief scene of full female nudity where an actress is getting into a bathtub. Her butt crack when getting in the tub, and her nipples as she settles in, are blurred.

I'm female, but it appeared so unnatural and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the shots, so I had to replay it a couple of times to figure it out. Sheesh, Lord, protect us from the folds and protrusions of female skin.

Far be it from me to lose all control when naked male nipples and butt cracks are thrust upon my unwilling eyes. ;/

The feeling of any fleeting, momentary yearn is to be avoided at all costs, especially in comparison to the feeling of bearing one's "burning" testimony.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 10:43AM

Three-point mission of tscc: Confuse, Distract, & Annoy.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 10:56AM

violence good.
nudity bad.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 11:39AM

Silly people to blur out cleavage!

Sometimes I've seen total nudity blurred on imported British TV dramas. Apparently the British have a higher tolerance for it than we do.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 12:00PM

British television is almost "anything goes" during the watershed hours. Programs produced for those time slots reflect this.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 11:40AM

If they're blurring obscenities, how come the GC talks aren't all fuzzy?

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 12:36PM

The words are fuzzy even if the picture isn't.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 12:21PM

I've seen recently on some of the sports channels when some player or coach says something naughty, not only do they bleep the sound track--but they'll blur the mouth area so you can't read their lips. Not LDS, but the same principle.

Good thing somebody is looking out for us. I feel so safe and protected...

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 09:12PM

Same goes for the radio edit of "Toes" by Zach Brown Band. I was so confused why ass is edited in this song but other songs don't edit ass. I still don't understand. The regular versions says, "Toes in the water, Ass in the sand." The radio edit says, "Toes in the water, Toes in the sand." It annoys the crap out of me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2017 09:12PM by Drew90.

Date: August 21, 2017 02:11PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071230/?ref_=nv_sr_1

When it's run on TV, sometimes one thing is cut and sometimes another, depending on the current state of political correctness. In one network TV version for example, they leave in derogatory references to racial groups and gays, but then cut out epithets referring to urination--mostly in statements by Slim Pickens. And there's probably another version out there somewhere where it's the other way around.

Good thing somebody's looking out for us. I feel so safe and protected.

Posted by: pierre123 ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 10:40PM

When I've seen Blazing Saddles on broadcast TV, they replaced all the farting noises in the campfire scene with laughter. That's right, not swearing, not racially insensitive language, just fart noises. What's the world coming to?

Date: August 30, 2017 09:05AM

out for that.

It was on TCM the other night and I didn't sit through it all, but the parts I saw seemed to be uncut.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 02:36PM

"He said the Sheriff is near!"

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 12:51PM

So silly.....only makes imagination jump into high gear, making the obfiscated clearer.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: July 30, 2017 10:28PM

Please, avoid evil arms, legs, breasts, knees and...why did god make them? He must be evil, right?

Posted by: Dying inside ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 12:56PM

druid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

I guess they were trying to protect the children from seeing Nanny McFee's boobs.

Posted by: Enish-go-on-dosh ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 02:49PM

My favorite example of how censorship can make things worse is a video of the count from Sesame Street singing a song where they bleep out the word "count". It's hilarious.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 10:47PM

The message of blurred cleavage is, "don't look at boobs! Boobs
are terrible! Don't look at boobs and don't think about boobs.
That's right, boobs are what you should NOT be thinking about.
Do not think about BOOBS!!!!!!!!"

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 12:08PM

BYU Channel is a bubble within the already cable censor bubble.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 04:58PM

And the funny thing is, who's going to be watching Sense and Sensibility? Adults, that's who. But we wouldn't want Mos to think they are ACTUAL adults. Adults who can see cleavage and not rape the nearest dog.

I'm waiting very impatiently for the next season of Outlander. Just because I love love love the story, the setting, and everything. I'd be totally hooked even if there were no nudity or adult themes. But, as far as I'm concerned, the fact that there is (lots of it) is just icing on the cake. But could you imagine them putting that on BYU TV? You'd be watchnig the entire thing thinking you must have needed 3D glasses.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 11:25AM

Unfortunately they own the channel. So their attitude is if you don't like it go to another channel.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 12:56PM

Pretty much. I'm ok with that and take that advice daily.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 02:02PM

I've a friend whose daughter is on the BYU softball team.

I've watched a couple of their games on the BYU channel and what impressed me was the fitness of the players, both teams, and mostly, the pants. I don't think the pants could have been could have tighter.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 07:48AM

BYU TV is broadcast in the northern Utah market on TV channel 11.2, so there may be a few things that they would have to censor, depending on what they were showing.

However, cleavage is just ridiculous. I saw more cleavage from a bishop's wife on Sunday than in most of the movies that BYU TV would ever think of airing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.