Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 12:23PM

So excited to see Win Butler of Arcade Fire is exMormon. I knew it! As soon as I heard some of the lyrics I knew it had to tie into Mormonism. Here's some fragments that tipped me off.

"Working for the church while your family dies
You take what they give you
And you keep it inside
Every spark of friendship and love will die without a home . . ."

"Working for the church while my family dies
You're little baby sister's gonna lose her mind . . ."

"You can't find me now
But they're gonna get their money back somehow
And when you finally disappear
We'll just say you were never here

Been working for the church while your life falls apart
They're singing hallelujah when defeating your heart
Every spark of friendship and love will die without a home . . ."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 12:59PM

I've listened to the new album, Everything Now, just a little bit and it's kind of deep, like their others.

But I like the sound they come up with....and it doesn't sound anything like The King Family with Alvino Rey!

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Now-Arcade-Fire/dp/B0719WXS2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501952243&sr=8-1&keywords=arcade+fire

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 04:58PM

Rocky Anderson was a Mormon? Well, I'll be damned! Do we know if Marco Rubio was actually baptized?

In the see also section there needs to be a link of convicted Mormons and Ex-Mormons. Murderers, pyramid con men, illegal pain killer prescribing doctors,.....

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 05:02PM

It wasn't Rocky who gave away Main street to the mormon "church".

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 05:14PM

I don't see Aaron Eckhart on the list!

He was at the Y when I was there. He was in a student film with a friend of mine (called 'Edges', pretty funny to watch now, I have a copy on VHS still) and later when he got famous, my family all felt he had sold his soul to Satan working in Hollywood on R rated films..and of course the assumption (probably correct) is that he left TSCC at that point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Eckhart

Scroll down and they do say he WAS LDS and that he even went on a 2 yr. mission to France!

Date: August 05, 2017 05:17PM

Ah, here it is, looks like he never officially resigned, but still should be on that list (since it includes 'in actives')

"Talking to Entertainment Weekly regarding his Mormon faith, he revealed: "I'm sure people think I'm a Mormon, but I don't know that I'm a Mormon anymore, you know? To be honest, to be perfectly clear, I'd be a hypocrite if I did say that I was, just because I haven't lived that lifestyle for so many years.""

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 06:14PM

Why do they leave off Kevin Rahm all the time?

"Rahm was born in Mineral Wells, Texas. While a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), he served as a missionary in France, Switzerland, and on the islands of Mauritius and Réunion between 1990-92. After returning to the U.S. he studied pre-law at Brigham Young University, before changing his major to drama. In 1994, he was awarded the Irene Ryan Award for best college actor, and in 1996 dropped out of university to pursue an acting career in Hollywood."

Or Will Swenson??

Swenson was born in Provo, Utah. He is best known among Mormons for his role as Jonathan Jordan in the LDS Cinema movie The Singles Ward (2002) and its sequel, The Singles 2nd Ward (2007).[1] Swenson co-wrote, directed and acted in the LDS Cinema feature film, Sons of Provo (2004).

A grandson of Nathan and playwright and actress Ruth Hale,[2] Will Swenson was born in Utah and moved around a lot throughout the United States during his childhood. He attended Brigham Young University and later served as a Mormon missionary in Ecuador. However, he is no longer a practicing Mormon.

Swenson is Audra McDonald's lucky husband:
"Swenson met his former wife Amy (née Westerby) while they were both in one of his grandmother's comedies, Hopsville Holiday. The couple have two sons, Bridger and Sawyer, but have since divorced. Swenson and Audra McDonald became engaged in January 2012[10] and were married on October 6, 2012. [11] In October 2016, McDonald and Swenson welcomed their first child, Sally."

Swenson was the voice of Jesus or God in a former iMax movie in the so-called "Joseph Smith Memorial Building." When he dropped out of the church and appeared buck naked in "Hair," the Mormon church quickly dropped the iMax movie. Heh-heh.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 06:22PM

I found that Swenson was the voice of Jeebus in the 70mm film, "The Testaments of One Fold and One Shepherd," directed by Keith Merrill.

Date: August 05, 2017 08:03PM

"Why do they leave off Kevin Rahm all the time?"

That's the other one I was going to mention because I actually knew him personally at BYU! Not really well, but he was in an acting class with a really close friend of mine, so I met him there and got to see a play that he and my friend were in.

Was so fun to see him in Madmen! Glad to see him doing so well.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 07:00PM

So then, I take it Amy Adams is not wearing garments in her pic'?

Also don't see the Hough's (who obviously don't wear garments while dancing either).

Damn, there's another really famous person not on that list that I just forgot!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.