Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 08:48AM

The story here is the -horror- of Macey's grocery store deciding to be open on Sundays (gasp)

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865686090/Maceys-breaks-70-year-tradition-with-plans-to-open-on-Sundays.html

Below are FB comments from someone who posted this on their feed. I removed the names to protect the guilty..

I just want to tell them...that because Macey's is IMPROVING their business model to serve ALL of their customers is not bad.

If YOU don't want to shop on Sunday...then don't go shopping..
------------------------------------

The story is always heard was that a member of the quorum of the twelve told the Macey's family that as long as they stayed closed on Sundays, they would stay in business.
Like · Reply · August 4 at 7:49am

When I was the trainer, we would tell employees that the Macey's family (particularly Ken) included in the contract, when Associated Foods bought Macey's, they would allow Assoc. to keep the Macey's name if they remained closed on Sundays. It's what people expected and the above mentioned apostolic promise. I'm sad they are going against this.
Like · Reply · 1 · August 4 at 8:10am · Edited
Manage
That's so sad..glad I'm gone.
Like · Reply · 1 · August 4 at 8:08am

The only reason I drove way out of my way to do all my shopping at Macey's was that they kept their doors closed on Sunday. Now where will I shop?
Like · Reply · 1 · August 4 at 8:27am

OK I knew this was coming! But it makes me sad that the all mighty dollar is so important to corporate and does not care about values anymore, I wish Maceys name could be removed from these stores for this very reason! I am glad I am not associated with them anymore.
Like · Reply · 1 · August 4 at 9:18am · Edited

xxx told me that they would take the name off if they were required to open on Sundays.
Like · Reply · August 4 at 9:38am

I'm so mad about this. :/ It definitely won't earn them business- they will likely lose business!
Like · Reply · August 4 at 9:50am

It all started when the hired the Albertsons executives and started adopting policies that also was the reason that Albertsons went out of business.
Like · Reply · 1 · August 4 at 7:10pm

Yes! It worked so well for Albertsons so why not!? Hahaha! Too bad Ken Macey could not see into the future and hold on to the Maceys!
Like · Reply · 1 · August 4 at 7:12pm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 09:00AM

A part of me felt sad when the stores in my area started to open on Sundays. Sunday was the one day a week when people who worked in those stores could be guaranteed a day home with their families. Nowadays I'm shocked when a store is closed on Sundays. You just don't see it that much anymore where I live.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 09:25AM

Up here in the Heathen North...(Salt Lake County..), I see plenty of mormons in Harmons and Smiths...on Sundays..

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 12:25PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A part of me felt sad when the stores in my area
> started to open on Sundays. Sunday was the one day
> a week when people who worked in those stores
> could be guaranteed a day home with their
> families. Nowadays I'm shocked when a store is
> closed on Sundays. You just don't see it that much
> anymore where I live.

summer, I can relate. I was born and raised in the SF Bay Area, so stores have always been open on Sundays, but as someone who worked retail jobs for years throughout high school and college, I had to work virtually every Sunday (usually Saturday AND Sunday). I needed the money and was not in a position to say what days I could or couldn't work as long as my schedule allowed me to go to classes, I think it's great that a very few businesses still have one day a week when their employees don't have to work, and I do not feel that way for any religious reason.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 09:41AM

I used to shop there all the time and then their prices went up drastically. I go there about once every 3 or 4 months. The local store here in Hyrum has better prices than Macey's. Macey's used to have the best prices.

What shocks me is that Logan is one of the places that a lot of local businesses are closed. What really shocked me is my aunt told me that she and her husband, who live in SLC and are extreme TBM, came up here to golf with a friend. He told them he hates that Logan has so many things closed on Sundays that he doesn't like to come up here on Sundays. She said many more things are open in SLC on Sundays than here. Logan is almost a ghost town on Sundays sometimes. So obviously the Logan Macey's is not one of those they'll open on Sundays.

Well, I don't want Logan to get too busy on Sundays either. It is better that many things are closed.

I have to say that my mother drove to Ogden to shop at Winegars (from Brigham) because they closed on Sundays. She wasn't THAT TBM, but there were those little things that she just couldn't let go. I think it was actually just a reason to go for a drive.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 11:32AM

Opposition = another example of 24-7 mind control mentality.
The ambition of an ecclesiastical hierarchy to wield absolute power over the lives of the members without regard for individual wants,needs,or desires. It seeks to exercise absolute control unrestrained by any civil power.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2017 12:30PM by desertman.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 12:41PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 12:59PM

Oddly though, the temples, the most holy places on on Earth, are closed on Sunday's.

Is that so God can go golfing?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 09:53AM

Redneck golf is very popular in heaven. What do you think causes thunder?

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 09:38AM

I'm sorry, but seeing the commenters lose their shit over a store now being open on Sundays makes me chuckle.

And on the other hand, it makes me cringe because I used to have the same mindset. I made a big deal over not spending money on Sundays.
I remember having to run to the local grocery store on a Sunday morning because I needed an item for my Primary class, and I remember feeling guilty about it.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 09:47AM

Here's one more.

"I won't support a company that stays open on the Sabbath. That's my decision so don't bother making foolish comments. It's MY decision just like it's their decision to care more for money than the Lord's Day. People pay attention, Macey's. This is sad."

When I read it, a flashback hit me when I was rebuked for bringing the wrong brand of potato chips to a ward picnic.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1598947,1599733#msg-1599733

It also reminds of a new HT that was trying to impress the visiting member of the stake presidency with his superior morality. Upon being invited into the Goop home, he smugly stated, "As an example to my family, we make it a point to not view TV on Sundays." He walked past my dad over to the wall near the TV that was turned off. He raised his shiny dress shoe and kicked the electrical plug out of the socket. "That's better. We heard the TV when we first arrived. Now we can move onto the Lord's business without interruptions."

I looked over at my Dad. I don't think he heard a word as the conversation about a new stake missionary program was revealed. I could tell that he was really hurt by this know-nothing windbag. He looked down at the floor. As the two got up to leave, Dad blurted out "Family films!"

"What are family films, Brother Goop?" he asked. Dad said, "We were watching home movies of my wife's father. That is how we honor our ancestors on Sundays." Dad's voice began to crackle; which only meant that he was extremely annoyed. "If you have any honor and dignity then you had better come over and plug this cord back into wall."

To my surprise, he bent down to plug it in. Dad went a step further the following Sunday. He went to the bishop in order to request to be reassigned to the previous HT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 09:52AM by messygoop.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 10:10AM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's one more.
>
> "I won't support a company that stays open on the
> Sabbath. That's my decision so don't bother making
> foolish comments. It's MY decision just like it's
> their decision to care more for money than the
> Lord's Day.

This genius doesn't know that "the Sabbath" and "the Lord's Day" are two different things.

Oops.

But, hey, we don't need facts or knowledge to get all upset about somebody exercising their "agency," do we? No, they're not allowed to use their "agency" if it offends ME.

Posted by: nyetmo ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 11:43AM

Minnesota law allowing Sunday liquor sales recently took effect. When it came up in casual conversation about working on Sundays, my BIL said that it really didn't matter since the people who buy and sell liquor have already forfeited any hope of going to CK.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 01:53PM

Better run to the liquor store next Sunday, just to make sure. I have not been on Sunday since the law changed. Now I have a reason.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.