Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 08:22PM

Does it help your mental health to get away from Mormons, especially TBM family members? Does distance help the anxiety/depression become more manageable?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 09:01PM

I had severe clinical depression for 20+ years. About the time I distanced myself from the LDS church, things got dramatically better for me, but there were many factors in play at that time.

Leaving TSCC wasn't the primary reason I got better, but it helped.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 09:32PM

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 10:10AM

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 09:42PM

YES!

Mormonism is toxic. You are never good enough. You never do enough. You never give enough. You can never "volunteer" enough. You are always being beaten down and given worthless tasks to do and being told you're not doing them well enough...

Go to all your meetings
Read the BOM, Bible, Pearl of Great Price
Read the Ensign and church news
Watch conference
Read the conference talks in the Ensign
Read the crappy books published by the General Authorities
Go to the temple
"Volunteer" at the church farm or cannery
Pay tithing
Pay fast offerings
Pay for some other slush fund
"Magnify" a calling
Do your Genealogy
Pray Pray Pray
And do anything else they deem necessary for you to work your way to heaven

Nobody needs that crap in their life.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 03:55PM

I agree i still get mad when i get told to keep.volunteering by mormons, they havent done anything compared to me in life they sit back and tell people what to do like they are some crowned king.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 09:42PM

It depends on whether church culture is the cause of your depression or if it is making it worse. It could be completely unrelated.Maybe try staying away from church people and events as much as.possible and see if it helps

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 11:45PM

When I was divorced and alone, it was even worse, to go to church and see all those "apparently" happy couples and families. I met and married the love of my life in the Mormon church, but we have left that culture behind us.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 10:59PM

Yes, absolutely. Distancing oneself from a toxic culture and it's people is key to healing. When I left, my anxiety lessened, but my fury increased from being deceived, betrayed and violated. My struggle is not only not trusting others, but not trusting myself. How could I have stayed in the cult for 36 years? It ruined my life. I have PTSD since childhood so keeping my distance from toxic people now is a key goal.

Date: August 15, 2017 03:57PM

I am the same with the ptsd from childhood and i completely confirm with you that staying away is absolutely the key for us.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 11:08PM

I think it might be a good thing for you to try living with non-Mormon roommates and dating non-Mormons as well. It's a big world -- get to know some of its other inhabitants. As for your family, from what you've said, they've been reasonably accepting. I would try making changes in your personal life before distancing yourself from family.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 11:09PM

Certainly yes. It may not be a cure, but it's very smart move for an introvert. Mormonism has no place for introverts. They will be forever correcting you if you aren't social. They live like insects.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 12:33AM

Now, let's not put down insects. Although the way Mormons give away BoMs reminds me of dung beetles.

Mormonism is a social club. If you don't have a brain conducive to reading people, it's not going to work.

Posted by: Calico ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 12:54AM

It was for me. Being surrounded by a mix of people (including a few Mormons) was SO much better for my mental health than being surrounded by mostly Mormons. One is not surrounded by 'church, church, church', people don't talk much about religion in other areas. The 'feel' is different, more positive. Best thing I did was leave the morridor.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 06:25AM

Mormonism contributed to, and at times caused me to feel depressed.

The unmistakable sign for me was the last Sunday I attended over a decade ago. Pulling out of the church driveway I literally felt myself fall into a deep depression as I left it behind.

That was the Sunday I had all the proof I needed I was in a cult. Knowing that strengthened my resolve to leave. I was bereft because of the lost time and years I had spent as a Mormon. And the harm it had caused to my family and to me.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 09:08AM

It did for me, especially having my name removed. It was like a weight was lifted. I still struggle with anxiety and depression, but to a lesser degree. Having my weekends to relax and recover has made a big difference.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 09:19AM

Like Don said, being an introvert in Mormonism is painful. It leads to depression in my opinion. I tried using anti-depressants when I was a TBM to cope with the feeling of never being good enough. I have not used them in over 20 years now. The best thing for me was to leave that oppressive organization. We do not change over night when exiting the corporation. Our new experiences, social contacts, literature, music, art etc. all expand beyond the limited confines of Mormonism. Having a richer life is one of the best antidotes to depression. Many still require an anti-depressant and that is not wrong. I do not wish to imply that requiring medication is a form of weakness. Enriching one's life certainly can help minimize depressive feelings. Mormonism does not enrich one's life.

Date: August 15, 2017 03:49PM

I agree with this

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 09:59AM

As soon as we found out that TSCC was all BS, I felt shock, then anger, then I laughed when I looked at the picture of JS looking into his magic hat. My husband said several times since, that I look so much more relaxed, and also since leaving my place of employment that was run like the RS cult. Our kids have said how glad they are that they are out of the church. I'm still dealing with resentment at how my family was treated but it's getting a little better. It's hard to let go of angry feelings because I was hoodwinked for close to 50 years.

Date: August 15, 2017 03:47PM

I feel for people that were in it longer than me it must be way harder when you walk away.

Date: August 15, 2017 03:44PM

I have found that it does benefit to distance yourself but sometimes they will force themselves back into the picture because they dont understand boundaries so stay strong when they show up and try not to let them trigger you. So yea it definitely helps and it may take time to notice the benefit but as you feel more safe you will heal faster and become stronger mentally than they are, i have a ways to go but staying away completely works after a while.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.