Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emoney ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 04:53PM

I am frustrated and wondering if you have heard of anything like this, we submitted the letter that was on your site, I was so excited to finally rid myself of the guilt of that church, they received my on Friday the 11th, and today they sent me and my wife a letter telling us that they have contacted our stake president who will contact our bishop to talk to us. Can they do this? Can they delay our resignation because of this? I figured they would do something like this but am still furious about it.
Has anyone ever gone through something similar??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 05:03PM

You are out. Once they received your letter you are done.

They are trying to guilt you by sending an ecclesiastic leader.

- You can do nothing (and know you are out).

- You can contact them in return and say "I do not wish any contact. Please process our resignations immediately."

- You can wait for your stake president to contact you and say "No need for a visit. Please process our notification of resignation immediately."

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 05:04PM

You don't have to talk to anyone.
Yes, they "can" do this, and usually do.
However, sometimes the SP or BP won't contact you, they'll just send it back on. Other times they'll try to contact you -- if they do, just tell them "The church has received my resignation, I'm out, and have nothing else to say. Thank you, goodbye."

As to that point: they've received your resignation. You're out. Their internal nonsense isn't your problem, it's theirs.

Oh...and congrats :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 05:13PM

It sounds like you got the standard response. You can comfort yourself with the fact that you were out of the church once they received your letter, and that they are just proceeding with their own internal paperwork. You do not need to talk to the bishop nor the SP, but giving them a quick confirmation that indeed it is you and that you wish to resign may speed things along.

In the end, it doesn't matter if the bishop or SP want to delay your resignation. If you don't receive the final confirmation within 60 days, call the Member Records department, and the people there will complete the process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2017 05:13PM by summer.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 07:35PM

I'd call the bishop and maybe the SP and leave messages telling them you won't be talking to them and you are no longer in their organization.

If they call, say "I won't be talking to you as I am no longer a member. Please complete your paperwork. Goodbye." Click

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 07:42PM

Thats exactly what i thought would happen to me if i sent in my resignation letter a ton of bullshit coming my way.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 08:21PM

That's not what happened to me. I sent them an email letter and they sent me back a written letter from headquarters telling me I'm out. I told them in no uncertain terms I will not be talking to any local leaders.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 02:04AM

Some people get the intermediate "local matter" letter and some don't.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 01:43AM

It's so crazy and inconsistent...I did it through a popular Utah attorney and everything was DONE when he submitted it for me.

They are playing games or think they have ONE MORE CHANCE to keep you in by saying someone will contact you. I think the latter...they are desperate to keep a tithe-payer in the fold.

Let someone contact you. Your only response is "I resigned, what don't your understand?" and hang up or shut the door.

Posted by: thegame2017 ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 07:45AM

From what I have heard, generally if you're contributing decent tithing money they'll try and keep you in, people will be sent to try and convince you to withdraw resignation letter.

If you're someone who brings in little or no tithing money, and causes a nusisance to bishop for welfare constantly, or doesn't fit what the church wants, they'll process it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.