Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:43AM

Well, that's a lot. But I can tell you for a fact that's not all of them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 01:37AM

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:21PM

Yep, Alan Brinkerhoff bishop/sp was convicted in Nevada and served time but isn't listed.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 11:48PM

I was born in Lovelock, NV, 90 miles east of Reno but left there with my parents when I was 5, back to Utah (long story)

The Brinkerhoff family was a big part of that area and my dad worked for Alan's father. He helped Walt and the family dig several miles of irrigation canals using a big backhoe unit. Alan was the oldest and there were 2 other kids--don't remember their names right now.

Walt's wife, Viola, was a good friend to my mother and when I was a kid, we would go back to the Reno/Sparks area to visit my brother then on to Modesto CA to visit my sister. We always stopped at the Brinkerhoff's home for a meal, and she was always good to us. She passed away in 1993 and my sisters and I drove from Salt Lake to Lovelock, to attend her funeral.

I read the news story about Alan, I think about 10 years ago, just searching for Lovelock news. Alan was about the age of my oldest brother who is 85 now. I don't remember Alan really well but he had remained friendly with my 2nd brother Dan, who would go back to the Lovelock area for pheasant hunting etc.

My dad passed away on April 6, 2000 and when my brother Dan called Alan to tell him that dad had died, Alan surprised him and told him that his dad had passed that same day, which was kind of a big coincidence.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 01:12PM

Interesting! Sounds like you left the area before I came along but my mother went to school with Alan. She said all the girls chased after him and even when she was in her 50's she would look at him adoringly in church.

One of his daughters (maybe two) had all the signs of being molested and I wonder if she was and if she reported it. She would have had to report it to the bishop who was also DA so if he told her to keep it quiet or said he didn't believe her, she would not have had anywhere else to turn.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 03:07PM

I've been gone a long time and hope to make a trip out to Lovelock before winter comes. I still have a nephew and his family there and don't see them very often.

I found this online last night: doesn't say much

http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/NV1000813533/Allen-J-Brinkerhoff.html

Posted by: Children Matter ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 06:25AM

Please click the link below to add cases to the 316 pg document. The email to send them to is in the informational post. Thanks
https://mormonleaks.io/wiki/index.php?title=File:INSTANCES_OF_CHILD_SEXUAL_ABUSE_ALLEGEDLY_PERPETRATED_BY_MEMBERS_OF_THE_CHURCH_OF_JESUS_CHRIST_OF_LATTER-DAY_SAINTS-2017-06.pdf

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 01:47AM

"Standard Church policy is that two priesthood officers must be present to handle Church funds, a check and balance system to prevent financial error and inhibit the temptation to steal. And the Church conducts regular financial audits. How many priesthood officers are required to conduct a personal worthiness interview with a youth? One. And there are no procedures for auditing the actions of these leaders for inappropriate behavior."

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:37PM

Great point!

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 11:23AM

I found myself searching through the areas I lived in when I was married to my TBM. Nobody I really knew but the search is still going. I had nieces involved in a molestation case (Utah) in the 80s. A lot of mormons from his ward stood my him. I had one TBM tell me she thought it was a "love triangle". I lost it and after many profanities, I told her, one of the girls was 8 years old, love triangle, really? I ended by telling her to go perform an "impossible act upon herself".

Posted by: julianna ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:27PM

I skimmed through the list looking for files from my home state. I was surprised when I recognized a name on page 186. Laury Scott Wolfley was in my ward when I was in high school. He graduated a year ahead of me.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:51PM

One of these happened in the area where I grew up. I don't know the man but I know the two church leaders that testified against the man. I was pleased to see that testified against the man, sad to see that they contributed to an environment that would allow for something like that to happen.

Strike that, It looks like the family initially trusted LDS inc to take care of the issue but they did not. Then during the trial LDS inc successfully argued that they didn't have to share the transcripts from the excommunication hearing.

Fucking LDS assholes. They are both, the bishop and stake president still great friends of my father. God damn it.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 01:02PM

Gesus Christ. This guy was arrested on the day of Kennedy's assassination because he was protesting with a group called Indignant White Citizens' Council. And in the trial for the molestation he was given an extended sentence of 28 years because of an involuntary manslaughter conviction in 1975.

Real peach of a guy and the dick wads that would have been role models for me.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 01:23PM

Very sick file to read through. Just think of the oodles of dough the morg burned trying to protect their grand image.

The fact that there is ZERO oversight within the morg to guard against the slime that preys on children just shows you what a worthless organization it really is.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 01:24PM

WOW. Found proof of two people I know and had heard rumors about.

It seems that the scouting program is a hunting ground. Terrible.

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 01:37PM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOW. Found proof of two people I know and had
> heard rumors about.
>
> It seems that the scouting program is a hunting
> ground. Terrible.

And when pressed will blame all of this on homosexuals. They set that up when they distanced themselves from BSA.

It is all about excuses.

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 01:57PM

Many of these cases must have been settled by now. I find it interesting that as graphic and damaging as some of the incidents have been, we have not seen a court order LDS Inc's financial information to be entered into a publicly viewable record of transcript.

It is my understanding that punitive damages should be determined by assessing fitting damages depending on the depth of the pockets of those found responsible.

This would not matter during any criminal phases, but certainly people sought financial compensation from the deep pockets of LDS Inc.

Were the associated cases all settled quietly out of court?

Could there be accurate LDS balance sheets buried in some of these cases?

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 08:07PM

Several years ago in Oregon, there was a case where the court ordered LD$, Inc. to produce financial records. TSCC appealed to the state Supreme Court who upheld the ruling that they had to produce the records.

The original trial was put on hold pending the outcome of the appeal. Right after the supreme court's decision, TSCC settled the case for an undisclosed amount.

So I would suspect that anytime they were ordered to produce records, they would settle with the settlement being sealed.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 08:18PM

nonamekid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Several years ago in Oregon, there was a case
> where the court ordered LD$, Inc. to produce
> financial records. TSCC appealed to the state
> Supreme Court who upheld the ruling that they had
> to produce the records.
>
> The original trial was put on hold pending the
> outcome of the appeal. Right after the supreme
> court's decision, TSCC settled the case for an
> undisclosed amount.
>
> So I would suspect that anytime they were ordered
> to produce records, they would settle with the
> settlement being sealed.

I would guess that would fatten up settlement checks during negotiations.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 02:22PM

Or are members of the regular rank and file included? If the latter then I personally know of 3 tbms not listed.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 02:39PM

Two incidents happened in the stake I was raised in. One while I still attended. What is odd is that two incid nuts I did know about weren't I there-probably because the bishop covered it up and not charges were filed.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 02:57PM

I didn't see two cases that I know about where a member of the ward was caught molesting his own daughter(s).

Date: September 04, 2017 12:28PM

If you want to add a case to the 316 page document please email LDSLivingDocument@gmail.com. I am the nurse who compiled this document and I intend to update it every so often.

Posted by: jonny (the girl) ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 10:40PM

I am sick. All these victims and their perps. I was hoping to find Michigan in there. My paternal grandfather molested me and it was reported to the bishop. He believed but the higher ups did not. How validating that would have been to be on this list.

His name, Mason Harold Thompson. He was almost 70 when he started molesting me, and then my little sister, though we did not know that until after he died. He had already been caught, got out of it, in the 1950s and later. This was in the late 70's. My dad had just joined tscc and prayed about the current court case and received confirmation from the holy ghost that his father was not guilty.

I won't name the bishop, he is still around and I give him credit for doing what he thought was best. He sent us to the SP, Phipher was his name, though I don't know the spelling. He did not believe me. Told my parents to go home and pray and that my grandfather was such a great man. That reporting this would destroy the family, and there was no waay this was true.

There is so much more to it, but I don't remember it and my paretns are no longer around to ask. He had a couple high council courts, got away with it. He was so helpful to the young mothers with their little children, so fucking charming.

I questioned the second stake president who held a court on him about the ccourt. ; He would not tell me anything though I was the victim. He is still alive. This was 15 years ago, I wonder if he would now, but guessing no. Its sacred. Yeah, so was my body, once, when I was 3. Then no more.

Stupid fucking church.

Date: September 04, 2017 12:27PM

I am so sorry for all you had to endure. If you want to add a case to the 316 page document please email LDSLivingDocument@gmail.com. I am the nurse who compiled this document and I intend to update it every so often.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 12:33PM

Here's a new one to add.

22 yo man who has admitted to sexually assaulting at least 4 children under the age of 6.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2018/04/03/bad-comment-little-girl-led-arrest-mckinney-man-police-say-sexually-assaulted-kids

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 01:08PM

I found one in the stake that I grew up in. I didn't know the offender, but recognized the names of the stake-leadership folks mentioned.

Posted by: Phoney Moroni ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 02:40PM

Wow, two Brothers in England who both abused a young boy.

The boy said that the abuse stopped between 1980-82 when both Brothers were serving missions but began again shortly after they returned home!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 12:07AM

I found two cases in the ward I grew up in. Sadly, neither of the two I found were either of the two I already knew about. That's four now, just from my home ward.

Date: September 05, 2017 10:28AM

Date: September 04, 2017 01:14PM

There are on average 5-6 new perpetrators every single year for a period of 58 years in this document. If you were aware of 5-6 accounts of children being abused each year for 58 years what changes would you think necessary? These cases are just the cases I came across during the period I researched. From the emailed responses of those who wish to add their account of abuse, this is just the tip of the iceberg. If you want to add to the document please go to the Mormon Leaks released August 16th, 2017 for the email to send cases to. My post was deleted by the mods....I think because I posted the email but I am not really sure.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 01:47PM

Email Eric K., the owner of this board, for permission to post your email address.

The rules of this board prohibit soliciting these kinds of responses, to a provided email address, without prior approval.

erickett@wingnet.net

Date: September 04, 2017 01:50PM

Thank you for the information. This is really my first day on this forum with exception of one time 4 years ago. So thanks for your help.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: November 12, 2017 11:14PM

Not even close -- If you look in the newspapers in England and Europe you will find a list of caught LDS child abusing criminals at least as long as the list on the PDF document !

Bishops in England !! Stake Presidency Members ! Stake High Councilmen..

JB

Posted by: Anon for this One ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 08:17PM

Many years ago, when our youngest daughter was 13, she was raped by an adult non-member. She had already been acting rebellious for a couple of years, but suddenly, she went completely off the rails. We had no idea why.

One of her school friends called us, in a scared little voice, to tell us that DD was smoking pot. DH got angry and told the little girl not to ever call back. As it turned out, not only was she telling the truth, but DD continues to smoke weed nearly two decades later.

DD was very clever and we didn't know about a lot of her behavior until years later, but she DEMANDED birth control pills due to alleged PMS (I realized that this was BS, but didn't want to wind up as a grandmother, so I caved. DH did not know for quite some time.)

After years of very rebellious (and dangerous) misbehavior, DD finally told us that she had been "touched inappropriately" (which she later changed to "raped") and had reported it to the bishop. She was afraid to tell her father, for fear that he would attempt to kill the rapist. And this was NOT an unrealistic fear. She didn't want her Dad in jail.

Mind you, SHE was the underage victim of sexual violence by a 40-something male. She told this to the bishop. Even then, there was a law in our state requiring ANY adult who learns about a minor being sexually victimized to report it to the proper authorities. He never did.

What he did was to tell her not to take the Sacrament for a couple of weeks, and then come in to see him again. She then refused to go to church at all, which caused huge fights in our family. She would not explain why she did not want to go to church, and her father exerted considerable pressure to force her to go. (I was not her bio mom, so I stayed a step back.)

This whole mess spiraled way out of control. She went into a period of sneaking out at night, having sex with innumerable guys, (she has since told me that some of the guys, she only knew by a nick-name, such as "Sparky.")

So there were massive fights about church every week until she was 18 and could resign (at the same time as I did.) Her life was very much messed up, and nearly two decades later, while it is better, she still isn't on course completely.

When DD finally told her father what had happened, he went ballistic because the bishop 1)treated her as a "sinner," 2) failed to report this sexual abuse to either her parents or the state authorities, and 3) reamed the hell out of the bishop, demanding to know why the man thought himself above state law. (The bishop claimed confidentiality of clergy, but that one didn't fly on way too many levels.)

If the bishop had reported the incident as he should have, we might have been able to obtain appropriate counseling for our daughter at the time. Once we found out, we forced her to go to a counselor, but she refused to say a word during two sessions, and the counselor told us not to bring her back. So over the years, DD has come to terms with this entirely on her own.

I have never understood why Mormon clergy fails to realize that the rules SO apply to them, at least, in some cases. (In our state, he didn't have to report because he was a "clergyman," but because ANY adult who learns about the molestation of a child is required to report. And he did not.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.