Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 09:40PM

We got a new bishopric a couple weeks ago. I guess I should have known because the Stake Presidency was all present, and this one guy who ended up being called as counselor showed up clean-shaven (to emulate Jesus who was clean-shaven I guess).

Anyway, I happened to look over at the current executive secretary. Now I have no way of knowing what exactly was going through his head. But to me it sure looked like he had a very forced smile and was hiding his disappointment at not being called.

I wonder what percent of ward members really want the big callings for prestige and reputation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 11:01PM

According to my relative, we had an ancestor who left the church because he wasn't made Stake President. Go figure. Luckily I had a better reason :-)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 12:14AM

My FIL has been in several bishoprics--privately, he'll admit the church is made up. I've asked him directly if he believed the Book of Mormon was an actual history of the New World. He hemmed and hawed...and said, no.

When I asked him why he served in the bishoprics, he told me he enjoyed the male friendships. He also gave me this advice--"Boner you've got talent and you can serve in bishoprics or stake presidencies if you make it know that you'd like to serve. But, you'll have to follow all the rules when you're in the calling."

As he's now only a home teacher, he openly enjoys coffee around the family. Nobody gives him grief because they see him as the family patriarch.

I really struggled with this. When we had this discussion I was rapidly transitioning out of the church. My parents were alive at this time and I realized my FIL, by Mormon standards, was not worthy to enter the temple. But he did--for my wedding--and my parents waited outside as I got married.

I later found out that other "active" family members who attended my wedding enjoyed their beers and coffee, too, on the QT.

I refused to play the game for campaigning for leadership. I enjoy male friendships but can't lie and say I believe in something when I don't. I think this type of lying and campaigning goes on a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2017 12:17AM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 12:23AM

(Sounds like Sonny Bono lyrics here.) And I can definitely vouch for IfICouldHieToKolob as well. Buddy hugs! :>)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 12:29AM

"I've got you Babe," sang Dorothy to Sophia. There's more true in the Golden Girls than the Book of Mormon!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 12:36AM

With your bright demeanor, "Sunny Boner" songs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2017 12:37AM by caffiend.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 12:35AM

Starbucks is the new temple. I feel the spirit when I'm in there. Maybe it's the smell of roasted coffee beans. Regular temple attendance is cheaper than the Mormon version, but not by much.

Posted by: JBF ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 02:06AM

Don't get too used to Starbucks coffee everyone.

Based on reports I've read about, the coffee bean plant is starting to die off and therefore coffee may disappeared completely or the price of it may go sky high.

Anyone for a cup of coffee for $10.00 by the year 2025?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 10:35AM

My friend insisted he didn't want to be called as Bishop. But when he wasn't called he looked blue.

Interestingly, he made a quick ascendance to the bishoprick when he was raking in the cash. His income took a major hit in the year preceeding the selection of a new bishop. I wonder if that's why he wasn't selected.

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 05:15PM

The bishops (and SPs) I knew were rolling in dough. Never once saw a poor minority in the bishopric.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 08:41PM

Because of an imbalance in the PH "Force", two wards realigned boundaries.

The evening before the realignment a joint PH meeting of the two wards was held along with an explanation of why it was taking place.

At the ice cream and cookies mixer after I looked around and it looked like a job fair. All the guys were jockeying for position in their respective new ward regimes.

I myself was successful in landing a spot in our new HP group leadership.

Why have friends if you can't use them? :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.