Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 01:23PM

Unless the sun and moon are going to crash into each other I'm just not interested.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 02:08PM

What I find cool about eclipses is that the moon just happens to be about the exact size of the sun when viewed from Earth and covers it perfectly.

In other news, eclipses involving Mars and Venus suck.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 03:37PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I find cool about eclipses is that the moon
> just happens to be about the exact size of the sun
> when viewed from Earth and covers it perfectly.

:)
I'm going to ding you a bit on that. Good-naturedly, of course.

To begin with, "about" and "exact" don't really go together.
In your sentence, or in reality.

In fact, the angular size of the moon and sun from earth are never, ever exactly the same size -- because neither one is an exact sphere, and they vary from an exact sphere in different ways. Then there's the moon's orbit around the earth, which makes its angular size bigger and smaller during the course of its orbit, and the earth's orbit around the sun, which makes the sun bigger and smaller during the course of our orbit.

I know the "popular" press loves to say things like "the moon and the sun are the exact same size!" But they're not.
When the moon goes in front of the sun and it's *bigger* than the sun's size, we get a total eclipse. When it's *smaller,* we get an annular eclipse. There isn't a time when the shape of the moon exactly covers the shape of the sun perfectly. Doesn't happen. Never has and never will. It's always a little bigger, or a little smaller.

Not that knowing the above makes seeing a total eclipse any less fun...but facts are facts :)

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 03:41PM

I appreciate the facts very much so i knew it couldnt be exactly the same size like a lot of people say.

Date: August 19, 2017 03:31PM

I dont care either no matter how many people try to hype it. Im actually kind of pissed that all roads may be deadlocked because i will most likely have places to go that day.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 04:10PM

And when I lived in an area where the roads would be closed and I had advanced notice, I planned accordingly, so I could still have a good day while not dragging others down.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 06:20PM

Bang won't enjoy the eclipse as much thinking about how people are complaining about traffic. ;)

Date: August 19, 2017 06:33PM

I won't be around people complaining about the traffic, UNLESS, they are the time that have to intrude into other groups whining to be killjoys.

Date: August 20, 2017 05:40PM

I care about traffic i dont give two shits about an eclipse no offence. I am not wowed so easily like everyone else apparently.

Date: August 20, 2017 05:43PM

Im not going to stare into the sky like some dodo bird with everybody else i left that craziness behind me at the year 2000.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 03:44PM

I live in a place--as do most people--where the earth totally eclipses the sun for several hours every day. The stars come out, animals do weird things, people watch TV and have sex. We call it "night."

This August 21st thingy is gonna' be a total snoozer.

Date: August 19, 2017 04:07PM

Agreed that there is night, but not that an eclipse is the same as night.

I am interested in if I can see the multiple shadows, crescent shadows, Bailey's beads, diamond ring and of course the actual full eclipse.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 06:21PM

Night would be interesting if the sun went down in the middle of the sky . . . .

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 12:14AM

With permission, I need to use this quote....please permission!!!

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 01:43AM

I don't think you need my permission to use it, but thanks for asking, and permission granted!

; )

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 06:47PM

If you're in the path of totality, you'll see a sunset 360 degrees around you.

Posted by: Umbraphile ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 10:11PM

clogging the roads, bee yot chez!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 03:09AM

Night:Eclipse

as

"Many others were also Resurrected":Mormonism

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 02:39PM

I think it's interesting in that it is always interesting to be a witness to some historical event. That being said, I wasn't interested enough to buy special glasses or drive somewhere with more of an eclipse. I can watch it on TV.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 03:17PM

I was working on a forest fire between Salem OR and Sisters OR, I opted out and came home last Wednesday.

Camp was where full eclipse will last 1 minute 25 seconds.

Too many crazy people are anticipated and with roads/trails closed because of the fires there are going to be a bunch of pissed off people, being in hours long traffic jams isn't going to improve their disposition.

We'll get a 94% coverage where I live, that'll be good enough.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 09:11PM

Thanks for the link, Shummy :)

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 09:45PM

Young. I dug out my old telescope with the solar filter from storage,and tomorrow I'll drive down to the path of totality. May as well get all out of this life that we can, I think.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 01:14PM

What??? It's gonna be light and then get dark and then get light again. Betcha never saw THAT happen.

I was all into it last fall, even made plans to drive 2 hours into Western Kentucky and had hotel reservations. Then things happened last week that took me away from work, and I heard about how crowded the roads were going to be and decided that our 94% will do. In face, it's getting real quiet in here so I think everyone is already outside. We don't have max coverage for another hour, I'll check it out then. It really has lost its luster. I can say I remember the day.

Date: August 21, 2017 01:17PM

Um no eclipse is happening and they said it would be happening now, what a waste, this is why there is no excitement for these type of things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2017 01:18PM by badassadam.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 01:19PM

I could go out to my shop and get one of my welding helmet...or not....leaning towards not...

Date: August 21, 2017 01:22PM

Im not seeing it with my bare eyes maybe i need the glasses or make the cardboard box thing.

Date: August 21, 2017 01:33PM

Holy snikeys its getting dark im eating my words.

Date: August 21, 2017 11:41PM

It was kinda surreal here....kinda dim outside but in our home very dark....and then it wasn't. A non event IMHO.

Date: August 22, 2017 01:43PM

I thought it was going to last longer to be honest.

Date: August 21, 2017 01:27PM

Businesses selling approved glasses are ripping off people who JUST have to have them....suckers.....

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 08:40PM

My ex's friend bought glasses and my ex ran out here from work so our son could see it. I could tell it was getting darker here in the house while I was working. Then when my ex called, I went outside. What I loved is how cool it got instead of the hot day it turned out to be. I looked through the glasses several times. It didn't get that dark here, but I thought it was impressive. I'm in Northern Utah, so we got about 91% or so.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.