Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 08:53PM

OT: If you live in L.A., or visit, try the 'Fresh Seafood Market', "Recognized by the City of L.A. as a Downtown Landmark Restaurant" (per their plastic-covered menu). (Indeed, you can see the tall City Hall bldg. not many blocks away.)

It's a bohemian eating place which has no doors between the outside wooden eating tables (with wooden benches for sitting) and a long inside counter place for ordering ones seafood. About six, tough, male gang-member clerks take your order, all of whom wear their gang membership signature hair-dos, covered with women's hair nets with the 'knot' pressed against their forehead, and arms full of tattoos.

Can't get a more exotic and 'cool' atmosphere than that, and it is in a tough neighborhood (no homes, just big old warn-out and empty storage buildings, and cracked-up roads on either side in need of repair). And oh yes, the armed security guard (with whom I chatted for awhile), had a small diamond in one earlobe, and a gold tooth. (My 6'3" son and his wife periodically take me there to dine.)

But the fish is as fresh as it can get, and very good (I had salmon).

Anyone else from L.A., who know this spot?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 09:19PM

Just what I'm looking for .... a restaurant with a street gang atmosphere.

Posted by: kendricklamar ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 09:45PM

If you're looking for an even more sketchy but also damn good restaurant; Louis Burgers in Compton is the place. I go everytime I visit my uncle. Just don't stay outside the restaurant too long at night or you're screwed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2017 09:46PM by kendricklamar.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 12:48AM

Ahh yes. "Sketchy", "Gang members". wink wink if you catch my drift.

Life outside Gilbert AZ must be scary for the delightsome folk.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 01:45AM

I've worked in some urban neighborhoods that didn't strike me at the time as being particularly sketchy, but in retrospect, were. The parents of the students I was teaching were more alarmed about my safety than I was, and you would have thought that would have bought me a clue. Seriously, if you've been raised in a very protected community, you might have no idea.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 10:06AM

I used to go to Johnny's Burritos up the 101 in Ventura; the headquarters for the Hell's Angels used to be a half-block away and a bunch of Harleys were usually parked around there.

I felt strangely safe, and the food was unbelievable.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.