Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 01:38PM

Driving in a darkened world in the middle of the day is pretty badass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 01:41PM

Only YOU would say that!

Date: August 21, 2017 01:50PM

Hahaha indeed well said

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 02:01PM

Wait, are you supposed to be "bad ass Adam" or "bad as Sadam"?

So many S's...

Date: August 21, 2017 02:57PM

Hahaha im laughing my ass off right now i will take both interpretations.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 08:54PM

Turns out ziller was wrong ~

eclipse glasses aren't a marketing scheme ~

took binoculars out and looked at the eclipse for a solid 4 minutes til siller's eyes couldn't handle anymore ~

vision is all spotty now, waiting for the spots to go away ~

is sun brah gonna make it? ~

brb ~ making a pair of eclipse glases out of swimming goggles, tin foil and spray paint ~

fun fact ~ laying out during the eclipse actually de-tans you ~

in b 4 ~ class action lawsuit against the sun ~

brb ~ sitting in basement lurking RfM while everyone else fry's their eyeballs ~ lol ~

brb ~ lol ~ getting the same effect from just wearing very dark sunglasses for 2 minutes ~

brb ~ expecting to see jesus or a ufo or something or mebe ET ~ but literally nothing happened ~ ziller am disappoint ~

brb ~ literarily dang near went deaf as well listening to the eclipse thru a hole drilled in ziller's Iphone ~

brb ~ if this sh!t happens again tomorrow ziller is rilly gonna freak the f*ck out ~ (srs) ~

Date: August 21, 2017 10:46PM

You crack me up brb

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 09:12PM

We need more eclipses! Everyone was outside, there were parties, I lent my glasses to old people. We had BBQ brats afterward! Everyone came together! Everyone was laughing and having a good time! Come next eclipse, 2024, I'm headed to The sweet spot.

Date: August 22, 2017 12:25PM

Yea we do this is the most community ive seen out of this town. Ive never seen this many people outside all at once in a long time.

Date: August 22, 2017 12:29PM

I might be an astronomy guy deep down without even realizing it. The sun was elcipsed enough where i was to impress me and im hard to impress.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 11:26PM

I'm in north Texas and it was supposed to be about 80% here.

Cloudy and honestly I walked outside an hour before, during the peak, and an hour later. All looked the same.

Glad for those that had a good time. Glad you enjoyed. But here it was just another day.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 21, 2017 11:37PM

My son and I went to a viewing party at the local college. The astronomy club was there, along with all the science students and techno geeks who attend classes at the college. What a great crowd.I hope they become tomorrow's leaders.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 10:21AM

I was in the totality.

There is a HUGE FREAKING difference between a sun that is 99.9% covered and a total eclipse.

If the smallest sliver of sun is visible, it just looks like dawn or sunset outside... no biggie.

But there was a dramatic change when it went from 99.9% to 100% covered.

I have yet to see an accurate picture of what I saw in the sky.

Some things you just cant take a picture of, a total eclipse is one of those things... pictures that do come out does not do it justice, not even close.

I thought it would be cool... I was wrong. It was AMAZING.

... and yes, there were locals there than could care less, and were walking into stores and such 30 seconds before the eclipse started... I felt sorry for them. They really did miss something special.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 11:33AM

I agree 100%.

I knew in advance that 100% totality was where the "magic" happened. Even knowing that in advance, I was taken back at how dramatic it really was. Those that saw a partial eclipse did not see an eclipse.

That is why I go to experience this sort of thing. No matter what pictures you see, what description you read or hear, there is no replacement for the experience. This is why I decided to brave the crowds and traffic to go to a place of totality. I am happy I did.

Yes, there are people that don't care, and that's fine. I know plenty of people that did other things, that is their business. What I don't care for are the people that have to make sure everyone else knows they do not care at every opportunity, or worse attacking, directly or by innuendo, those that do have an interest.

Posted by: Umbraphile ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 11:47AM

+100%

Date: August 22, 2017 12:32PM

I wonder if southeast idaho got close to full totallity it had to be atleast 95 percent.

Date: August 22, 2017 12:35PM

Depends on how you define "south east Idaho".

Pocattelo was not total, Idaho Falls was.

Date: August 22, 2017 12:38PM

I was right in between at the time closer to blackfoot.

Date: August 22, 2017 01:06PM

Blackfoot was just outside of the totality zone. It would have been impressive and it would have gotten fairly dark, but you just missed being able to look up and see the chromosphere.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps/states/ID_web.jpg

A picture of the Chromosphere does not do it justice, it also gives no indication of the dramatic shift from not being able to see it, to seeing the full glory.

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~ryden/ast162_1/corona.jpg

This is an image, taken with a good camera, probably with a telescope and filters of the near totality in Pocatello. The bright flair on the bottom left was enough to make it so you could not look at it directly, the eclipse glasses would block out the Chromosphere.

https://s3-assets.eastidahonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/29090830/AdobeStock_23190734.jpeg

We had to wait until the eclipse classes went completely dark before we could look directly at it. Even with that little bit of flair, even the slightest glimpse would leave an after image and still be too bright to look at without discomfort.

https://s3-assets.eastidahonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/29090830/AdobeStock_23190734.jpeg

From Blackfoot, you could have easily driven over to Atomic City, picked up glasses at the bar, watched the eclipse, and gotten back to Blackfoot virtually no traffic. I did not take the highway back to Blackfoot, but I did see the traffic, it was nowhere near a "jam". There was plenty of space to park. The bar had sodas, snacks and burgers, with no real lines...

Date: August 22, 2017 01:15PM

Well ill be danged i was just barely outside of it. I tried to look for a place with glasses but i couldnt find any in time and i was on the old freeway and there was nobody there so it was decent and i tried to look at the eclipse without glasses but no dice it was too piercing to the eyes.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 01:49PM

Yep, went to totality here in Wyoming. It was spectacular!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 22, 2017 11:52AM

Can I (Northern WA state) get a REFUND?

Date: August 22, 2017 04:22PM

I guess you had to travel to get the real deal. Did you spend any money for it? Like glasses?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.