Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: orangejuice ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 06:34PM

First, I want to thank everyone on this board for your anonymous support, validation, and humor as our family transitioned out of the cult. We were able to leave as a family, marriage intact, and stronger than before.

I now have a new problem and I could use some advice:
At my place of employment, I work very closely with others who are almost all LDS. They know me as an RM, married in the temple, super-righteous woman, mother, etc. The topics of religion, callings, missionaries are everyday occurrences and I used to chime in and share my spiritual experiences all the time. These co-workers are my friends who I care very much about. And I LOVE my job.

If I told them I'm no longer a member, it would get awfully quiet and awkward. They would feel guilty for not having "been there in my time of trial." They would feel bad for me and be certain that I had sinned or been offended (you know the story).

My biggest issue is with myself. I am a genuine person. I don't enjoy being fake (although I can). I also don't hide my feelings well.

Should I play along and keep it low-key? When they ask about my callings, etc do I make something up to satisfy them and move on? Or do I just tell them I don't believe and deal with the constant silence and awkward friendships? I kind of prefer the first option but am afraid of slipping and having them find out I've been lying.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 06:43PM

Change the subject and just give wan smiles and nods when you can.

Posted by: touchstone ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 06:51PM

"Should I make myself miserable by being dishonest for their comfort?"
I would like to think there are ways to keep matters low-key without making something up.
Now, you can *try* the 'make something up' route and change your mind later-- "Hey, that thing I said, wasn't entirely the truth..." But is that who you wish to be?
Maybe there's someone in the crowd who's questioning, who would find validation in your story.
I hope folks here-- more experienced in the matter than I-- can suggest ways to honestly navigate these waters.
"I'm not a member any more. Shall we leave it at that, or will you tell me why you I ought to go into further detail with you?"
Glad you love your job. I hope you can have it in an environment which won't pressure you to be in the closet.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 07:12PM

In the workplace, religion should only be a casual conversation if even talked about at all. Unfortunately, in many LDS-dominated workplaces, religion becomes a big deal.

So, I'd keep it light and friendly. You're not being dishonest in doing this, you're being professional. Very best wishes!

Posted by: guy2 ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 07:26PM

Just nod and ignore. People may simply interpret that you are trying to be humble, or are just private about your devotion. I think most can respect that. DOn't make things up, my guess people could see through that. Plus, if you come out later it would be awkward.

Just nod and ignore.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 07:37PM

You can try turning the conversation around to the other person. If a coworker asks, "What calling do you have?" you could respond, "Tell me about *your* calling."

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 10:37PM

Is being an open book and sharing everything about your life a part of your job description? If not, start practicing the concept of arms length at work. When LDS topics get brought up, can you change the subject or excuse yourself to go to get a drink of water, or go to the bathroom? Keep your private life, private. Your life is your business. Why would you want to set yourself up to become a project, or an outcast? People will see you differently and you will become the subject of office gossip. Talk to people about themselves because that makes them feel special. Stay super focused on your job and kind to people. Even God the Father has not revealed to anyone the end date when Jesus is to return to earth. Do not give your power away. Come up with a list of coping strategies to deal with stress of change. You don't owe anyone at work the rights to know your private matters.

Date: August 23, 2017 08:29PM

All these responses have given me ideas and lots to think about. Obviously, I do live in Utah and religion gets mixed in to almost every conversation. What's worse is that I work in the school system and religion should NEVER come into that setting but...alas, invariably it does. Sigh.

It helps me a lot for others to point out how my reactions and words could be interpreted. I'm not very adept at those sort of things. So, thank you.

Any other ideas are still greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 09:16PM

Make it know you are having a trial of your faith and see how long you can keep the jury out.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedon ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 10:06PM

When members find out you actually disbelieve they can be very afraid. We don't want our colleagues or administrators afraid or threatened / suddenly reacting with a visceral fear through perfecting rejection of culture self & religion. Worse some could decide different & rejecting gospel is beyond bad, that ideas are dangerous (for themselves, for their kids) they're so afraid of you. The l d s director of technology in my school district directly informed me this was how he felt when he understood that I disbelieved. Never use your district wifi on your phone or tablet if you post to this site, my district tech director (clearly active l d s ) thinks this is a hate site, and he stated that visiting it was the same as a civil rights violation in the work place. Several years back This in a place where I was contacted by dept chair, site admin after questioning the ACLU to raising consciousness on site among curriculum team members after colleagues shared real video of person of a certain race by run over by a vehicle saying it was funny and encouraging student laughter, sharing it at staff table, all found it fine & my reaction over critical. The dept chair and teacher said it didn't matter if no one of that race was in room, but what the idea of it, and what about a safe work place, and what about the mixed race students in the room? And students of all races told about it by students in the class ? So, be careful, because apparently this website is more threatening and considered more hateful by my district l d s technology director, than a teacher showing an off topic non curricular actual video with out a consent form of a someone in Americas of another races actual death saying they thought it was funny (the teacher was attempting to hate and demonstrating a lack of compassion, even, possibly sadism and attempting to share a real death scene as a form of sadistic humor. My colleague said There was no assignment attached to it and she stated It was off topic, which she intended as a joke for class. (she was practicing some religion at the time, sending her child to Catholic school.) the admin who handled it not so well, left requested by attorneys on another issue several years later, so in hindsight That adminmight already have been mishandling situations. Then Technology directors l d s or not, usually care a lot about legal things like that but not as much as personal use of ones own electronic devices on this exmormon.org website.

Look with colleagues like that, you just can't win/ they apparently are nor philosophers, despite what religion they profess, they may not be compassionate or avoid the suffering of others. They may be predatory towards those with whom they disagree, might pride themselves in being strong or competitive that when one of their own leads them, goes to expensive events, gets new computers or art supplies purchased, sits as lead teacher on a grade level or gets a stipe end opportunity- that person wins for all of them (the lds, or the open marriage crowd, or the former cheerleaders or the former local elementary school graduates who work on site/ your success represents them. Opportunities to lead train get materials stipe ends may be competitive and you'll no longer be supported by that group.

Religion may not repress, but it does not make nor express to outsiders : kindness compassion patience cooperation collaboration . You do not want these people turning on you.

Further I watched and saw my being l d s mattered not to one admin, but was exceptionally evil to the former pentacolstal minister / that even when I shed the l d s religion I was still so labeled by it for those who disliked it (to the degree I didn't convert submissively to their religious culture or even irreligious life style) concurrently persecuted by some current mormons. People always see things through their own eyes, their own culture, what you do and who you are only has meaning through what they believe. Being around majority l d s I have never done, but know that when they see you no longer stand with them some will think you are against them as individuals. They may have been fellowshipping as what you perceived as colleague friendship. All of them, from every group, at once. They might even be competing for you, want to own you or have you be "just like me". It's a great compliment, I guess.

If I had it all to,do again I might bring my recommendation credentials skils and make a clean break simply meet new colleagues as I stood, not l d s instead,of a collage of l d s shared memories and new values defining me with the same people.but that's pie in the sky and not what I did.

If your colleagues are very young still need to be right, then they might be too immature to accept you if they can't see themselves in you

Coming out of your religious culture with staff abruptly just because it's your legal doesn't mean you want to ever assert those rights in court, have to document, pay an attorney, and work in an adversarial environment. It's not that you shouldn't have To, you don't to.
You don't want l d s parents afraid to have their children in the apostates classes, or worse to experience a witch hunt . Frightened people do crap like that. I would want to avoid it. But your face book, your activity all will come out there is no commute long enough

So I'd want to desensitize people to changes in faith to focus on secular and professional agendas.

I might stop giving explanation and treating time with colleagues as teaching moments giving reasons about anything, so no one thinks they can negotiate with you about your thoughts beliefs or mind. A person who gives reasons is apparently open to debate or conversation contesting their reasons. Your reasons are private, you just are as you are. You pose the desire for people to accept you. Don't ever apologize for things that are no mistake which another disagrees with &if you do apologize frequently and yield to the team a lot, then desensitize colleagues to a non apologetic non submissive form of yourself .... because being not Mormon with them is not submitting to their culture.

By the time I was done transitioning as a educator since my Mormon world view, purpose, generated my career...by the time I had transitioned I was first advising my own children to seek a different life.... someone who met me recently stated "you were a very bad fit". I'd have left before I found that out!!!

My spouse is a very vanilla athlete & teacher coach supervise high school football games, large crowds, fund raise rotary club sickie CEO club chess club wrestling team so many clubs teams , directed student teachers overseeing new teachers for decades ,...in my opinion no body blinked when he changed religions . No body knows notices cared ...he'd always gone to mass with his favorite men after school one day a week it was a social thing. Who cared if he wore garments as long as he sported that school color ...

I don't understand why it's so different for women or different people, but it is. It's a segment of people (I was one) who,unify based on church or church role, or shared memory, or collaborating on life or something.
My husband talks about his love of sports with other sports people, of coaching episodes with coaches, of trees and drought or weather impact on plants in the 70s when talking with other Agriculture credentialed folks about their plants and irrigation classes or time in the farm. He talks about Diesel engine repairs with mechanics ...it's just like he keeps staying on topic, he relates stories of that topic from his past, to the topic of that moment. It's like a concrete noun event centered communication only seque to the same concrete noun event past reminicices, then back to this moment same concrete noun event in this moment.
Try that. My husbands good at that, always has been, gets others talking with a indirect statement or pause tilt partial question "what did you " - then the person starts sharing. Just like that.
You try it.

We need more of that and less Mormon belief re iterating labeling I am conforming are you conforming you can value me see I too conform like you - it's like mirroring each other on a variable or tangent. I don't know if it's more frequent with women. Or tribe. Or collective. Try that, try that other thing.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 12:37AM

Another idea is to joke about it, "Are you kidding? Sometimes it seems like this job is my calling. It's my job, my hobby, and my calling."

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 09:20PM

Tread softly if the employer is lds. I know that some employers will fire someone if they are not lds its weird i know but its a real thing in lds areas.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 03:32AM

This is something that shocks me. I thought there was freedom of religion in the US, but this indicates that it's all right to discriminate on religious grounds (as it appears to be OK to discriminate against atheists in the US).

What's all that about?

Tom in Paris

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 06:54PM

It is illegal in the US to discriminate in employment based on religion. That being said, an employer can usually find some other excuse to terminate an employee if they want to. So a Mormon employer won't fire you stating that the reason is because you aren't a Mormon, but they will make up some other reason to do so. Even though they really fired you for not being Mormon, the official reason given will be that you violated some policy, or didn't adequately perform some job function.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: August 23, 2017 09:27PM

It sounds just like the conundrum that gay people have about personal questions in the workplace. Being in the closet comes at a cost.

Date: August 23, 2017 11:18PM

Wow, Paintingnotloggedon, that sort of reaction by co-workers is exactly what I am afraid of. Your account was enlightening. Thank you. I'm positive my co-workers are kind, loving people who really do care about me (and I them). I'm so afraid of them shutting me out. It would be a nightmare of a school year. (Notice the school year is beginning and I'm getting nervous). In my work I have to work very closely (in the same classroom all day) with these women.

I am also very worried about the "witch hunt" scenario and people not wanting children in my classroom. I am the same person I was before but they won't see it that way at all.

Thank you for your advice.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 12:06AM

orangejuice, what a dilemma?

Personally, I would look for another job.

When I told my bishop, visiting as home teacher, in June, what I had "discovered", he yelled at me, calling me to repent and ask forgiveness for talking bad about the church. I could not undo what I had read and heard about TSCC. I was also told to not talk to anybody else what I found out. All my friends were at church.

I would just throw this out there to- own it. You are free from the Morg. Others will not share your joy, but you have your sanity and RfM. Once you are labeled an apostate, that's it. It is like you have a contagious disease. Nobody wants to be around you for fear you will spread your contagion to others. They just want to be happy in their little WRONG world of mormonism.

Best wishes!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 12:52AM

I wouldnt go into detail.At most,I would day I was taking a bresk and that you dont want to give details.I would say that only if I were asked a direct question. You dont need to say even that much if you think it would cause problems . At some point you will likely transfer or be transferred. Then let them know in a subtle you are not a member when it comes up. It will be easier if they thing you have never been active or been a member.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 03:19AM

Play it by ear. There is no one answer to your question. You do what is best for you.

I pretended to still be Mormon while I still lived in Utah and it wasn't all that hard because I didn't get asked a lot of questions about callings and such. I just kept my mouth shut. But once I moved to California I became more verbal and gained my strength.

If you are not going to be moving away or to a new job I suggest you just take it slow. Speak out when it suits you. But you must also be prepared for possible consequences. It may be that nothing serious will happen. On the other hand, you may start getting a lot of flack from your boss and co-workers depending on the kind of people they are. This is basically a question that only you can answer in the end. Good luck.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 09:00AM

Pooped Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I pretended to still be Mormon while I still lived
> in Utah and it wasn't all that hard because I
> didn't get asked a lot of questions about callings
> and such. I just kept my mouth shut. But once I
> moved to California I became more verbal and
> gained my strength.

I'm stronger outside of Utah and only I really understand that fact. My family thinks people in Utah are more accepting now that my kids go to college there but that may be more among the young. And they are in the in group - The Mormons.

I've loved living away from the peer pressure that LDS Inc. will never acknowledge. And even if they did, they wouldn't think it a bad thing. They would spin their spirit into it. You don't have a ghost of a chance going against that holy possession in Utah.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 09:05AM

Just remember, everything is a joke. There is little that you can't slide by if it is bookended by laughter.

Hahahah, OMG

Rock in a hat

Hahahah, so funny

Date: August 24, 2017 10:53AM

Thank you everyone for your insights! I feel better prepared now to attempt to deal with this. As summer and Jacob suggested, I might try the humor approach. I love to laugh! I think I'll try to downplay any direct questions and smile, nod, and ignore for the most part. As I said, I love my job and don't want to change that.

Thank you for dedicating your time, talents, and everything with which Stan has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Recovery from Mormonism site, for the bringing down of the cult upon the earth and for the disestablishment of so-called Zion.
Ramen!

Best wishes to all!

Posted by: V ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 08:39PM

Ha ha--
Currently not in a calling
ha ha
The compassionate service leader's 3rd assistant to the secretary of baking gluten-free foods on wendsday was filled, so they're plum out of callings

ha

ha

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 07:16PM

I admit that I haven't read all of the responses, so I don't know everything others have said. Mostly what I saw was a version of playing it low-key. I disagree. If you give them the information once you will be uncomfortable at that time, but then not so much when church conversations come up. You are in control of what they hear. If you tell them nothing and try to play low key, they will notice the change from your previous contribution to the conversation and then wonder what is wrong. They will find out that you are no longer involved in the church and wonder why. You know how this goes. I think it is better to be totally up front about it. You don't have to be brutal. You can just be honest and tell them after much study and prayer you have realized that the church is not a good fit for your spirituality. If people want to know more they can ask. But you will be in control and not the rumor mill. And I suspect that it will be empowering for you. And who knows who might take a cue from your courage and begin their own journey of liberation.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 07:56AM

I thought more about your "should I play along?" concern. It sounds manipulative. You lived a lie in the cult. Do you still want to live a lie outside the cult, too? When will honesty and genuineness become your paradigm? I was uber lds for 36 years. My family warned me all those years. I resisted their efforts to help me and hurt our relationships. After I left the cult, I apologized for my hubris and sickness. I felt free after apologizing and being honest. That freedom is necessary to remove the chains of fear, obligation and guilt from the cult. You can be out of the cult physically but still practice cult behaviors by being dishonest, immature and hide your true self. Free your self from the past. Start anew.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 01:19PM

No person in the workplace owes any other worker an explanation of their religious preferences or practices.

If someone at work wants to talk about religion, they are crossing the line into an unprofessional realm. It's THEY who are not following high standards, not those they're trying to engage or those in general hearing.

At work, it's inappropriate to discuss sex, politics and religion. Those who do it are wrong. Those who gently thwart them are right.

Some think it's dishonest not to lay out their sex lives, their politics and their religions to anyone they happen to meet, including fellow workers. I don't agree.

Want to talk about those things to fellow workers? Make a date to do it away from the faculty room, lunch room or office. And never feel compelled to chime in and give sexual, political or religious details to fellow workers, clients, supervisors, or especially students if you're a teacher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 01:41PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 08:47PM

I dont think anyone is saying that she should lie, but that doesnt mean she needs to discuss religion or anything else of a personal nature if she is uncomfortable.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.