Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 12:47PM

A relative just passed her board exam for nursing, after failing the first time. Yesterday she passed, and thanked all friends and family for fasting, praying, and the priesthood. She stated that without that she would have never made it.

So does that mean that all the people that passed the exam have had God's help? What about the people that failed? Did they not live according to what God wanted? Were they sinning? How does a non-Mormon pass any board exam?

Why does God get credit for anything that they accomplish? I really hate the way Mormon's use God for any success they have, would a God really punish you by making you fail a test?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:04PM

I give all credit to my cat. He's my bestest friend now, and without him I could accomplish nothing. That sort of raises him to god-status, I suppose.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 09:27PM

My dog used to sit in front of a wall heat register. He appeared to be worshipping it so we named that register heat god.

Heat god kept us very warm in long Canadian winters.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 01:46AM

All hail Bastet, la magnifique!

If you want to see images of Bastet, check out pictures from the British Museum. Egyptian cat-goddesses all over the place, regal as can be!

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:12PM

danr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So does that mean that all the people that passed
> the exam have had God's help?

No, it means that they are smarter than your relative.

Posted by: good grief ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:17PM

"If you can't pass the board without god's help, does that mean you'll also need god's constant help to be successful as a nurse? You can't be competent all by yourself, and all your patients will die if left to your own knowledge and skills?"

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:26PM

Elohim helps mormons pass board exams.
But only if lots of people ask him to, and if they show they really, really want it by "fasting," using magical oil on heads, etc.

But he doesn't help non-mormons pass board exams.
If they pass, it's because they studied.
Which isn't the case with mormons.

Hey, don't blame me -- it's her "logic" :)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 06:42PM

It's really annoying when wankers pass exams and I don't :D. Congratulations to the exam taker for having the tenacity to work hard learning difficult information. Da Bone

Posted by: paintinginthewinnotloggedon ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:37PM

or able to accessa different cognitive flow? (as in fasting and prayer)

or finding a synthesis

getting access to rote memory churned up into synthesized awareness for use or applicable to problem solving?

you cant memorize function by rote entirely ... there has to be some process taking it up to this higher level (after lots of classes or experiential learning)

would her metaphor of steps to talk to god, kneel, talk, cry, emote, express sort of clear her cognitive circuits/ processes and help access synthesis (recognition of words, concepts, and application?)

surely a time of great peak performance stress is not a time to pull the cognitive carpet out from beneath anybody (and expect peak performance)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:40PM

Fasting generally makes you weaker both physically and cognitively.
So...no. :)

It's a great "tool" for weakening people so they're more likely to accept BS like "testimonies."
It's not such a great tool for passing board exams.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:42PM

It seems to give people comfort to believe there is a deity that is looking out for them and doing special favors if they are good enough to receive them.
I grew up thinking there was a God who would help me remember stuff on a test. Didn't work though.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:43PM

Sounds like cheating to me.

It's like praying to God for investment advice: He's omniscient so that's insider trading.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 01:46PM

I've mentioned before about the time my father wouldn't help me when I was newly divorced and destitute because I wasn't helping myself (paying tithing). Bishop also told me to pay my tithing and a new job would come through. So I went home, wrote out the check but couldn't quite drop it in the mail. I was like "just a couple more days." Then I finally tore it up and went to the grocery store, crying because I couldn't have enough faith.

Next day, I was offered the job (and raise) I wanted so badly. It took that to knock some sense into me and make me realize that I got the job because I was the most qualified, I was the only one who aced their little test, and they liked me for me. I felt like The Grinch who found out that Christmas came anyway, even though he did bad things.

The thing that sometime still scares me, however, about how close I came to being sucked in for good is when I realize that I would have been offered that job anyway. But if I'd mailed that tithing check and then the next day got the job offer... well, there's my proof! I doubt anyone could have convinced me that it was because of ME and not gawdalmighty. Close call.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 07:47PM

It's funny how the Mormon church interprets tithing to only be a 10% payment to their church. Evidently God is not that impressed if people donate that very same money to Doctors Without Borders, disaster relief, efforts to find a cure for various diseases, building wells in Africa, or any number of other good causes.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 02:00PM

These words from this nurse are an insult and kick the face to everyone who works hard for their own accomplishments and does their own heavy lifting. Screw her and all the religious who give god credit for everything because they believe themselves to be his special chosen ones. Screw false humility. Screw Mormonism and it's "facade mentality."

"Hi Heavenly Father. Remember me, Gracie, your favorite? I need a favor because I've been doing this nursing course and I don't get it at all and I've just gotta pass because everyone will be so impressed and I need the dough this will bring in. I promise not to ask where my car keys are for at least three months if thou would just do this one thing for me. inanamajesuscristamen."

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 02:42PM

He said that during team sport games, American players who score will look up at the sky and thank God. But when they do something stupid, they don't look up at the sky and shout "WTF was that about, dude?!"

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 02:47PM

It really helps if the entire ward priesthood forms a circle to bless the actual writing instruments that will be used to take the state exams. Otherwise, Stan will have too much power and the test examinee will automatically fail. <grin>

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 03:17PM

I had a long career as a pilot and had to take dozens of tests and hundreds of check rides. I certainly hope, and so do my passengers I would assume that God, prayers, or fasting had nothing to do with my passing them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 09:54AM by 64monkey.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 06:02PM

This relative's mother sent a group text to all of us thanking us for the fasting and prayers that "got her through". I sent a text back saying, "She deserves ALL the credit for passing". Crickets were all that I heard after that.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 24, 2017 07:20PM

The same theory is at work.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 06:20PM

I have heard many athletes give all credit to God for the fact that they won an Olympic medal, a tournament, a free throw contest, a ball game, in fact--any athletic contest at all--just like your relative passing her exam. Does this mean that the parents who couldn't afford the extra coaching the winning ice skater's parents paid for were more sinful than the winner's parents? And why were my grandkids not born with enough athletic ability that they could get full-ride scholarships to big name schools? Or that they weren't smart enough to get a super-high score on the SAT so they could get a full ride to Harvard or something or pass a bar exam? How does that whole thing work? It always pisses me off when they are interviewing one of the players on the winning team after a big game, and the player says something like "All credit to God." Why? Why THIS player and not THAT player? Why THIS team and not THAT team? I hate it when they do that! Does my hating it just prove that their god never loved me enough to give me or anyone in my family any of those special gifts? Did we not worship and pray hard enough? Or what? I once heard an older woman give all credit to God for giving her a husband who never cheated on her. The fact that her husband was an ignorant buffoon who couldn't hold a decent job, and who looked just a bit like Mr. Trump might have had something to do with it, but she credited "God." Guess I'm not having a very respectful day. ;)

Posted by: Gd ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 06:48PM

The Mormon paradigm: We're blessed, you're not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 06:49PM by Gd.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: August 25, 2017 08:30PM

Does it mean God made her fail too!

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 02:15AM

No. it only meant that her FAMILY and FRIENdS were more righteous. If you don't have enough family and friends fasting and praying on your behalf, you cannot expect to pass a nursing board exam, bar exam, USMLE, CSET or any other test. Also, success on the exams has little or nothing to do with what anyone has actually learned or studied. So if you are killed by the incompetence of a nurse or doctor, sue either God or all those who fasted and prayed that they would pass exams. If your incompetent attorney gets you sent to prison or causes you to be taken to the cleaners in a divorce settlement, DITTO. If your child's teacher couldn't teach a kid with no apparent learning disabilities how to read the restroom signs, " .

Seriously, my congratulations go out to your niece. She should give herself more credit.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 02:28AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2017 02:29AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 08:40AM

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 10:02AM

The Kolob I Wanna Be A God - Basic, as opposed to the Kobob I Wanna Be A God Over 10 Gods exam. He passed a lower level, hence the chaos on this earth.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 26, 2017 10:22AM

Our daughter passed her board exam with no priesthood blessings or fasting. She was also working in the ER and pregnant while attending nursing school, and was 9 months along when she took her exam. All credit goes to her and nothing to TSCC. Tenacity, ambition, and desire to achieve her goal are the things that helped get her through it all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.