Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 03:04PM

Some " reach out to the inactive" lesson must of hit the monthly schedule again at church.

I received an email from a family member saying how much they love me and miss me. They want to welcome me back to church because it's true. Of course, they said, they will understand if I don't attend church but hope that I come around one day to see that it is true again.

Well my position hasn't changed for a long time family member so, thanks for the email and wanting to care about my activity status. I rarely bring up any church stuff with them. For that, making conversations with them is very short because other than church stuff and work, they aren't doing a lot interesting things to talk about or hobbies other than church.

I live in a different city than the family member and my kids play very well with their cousins when we visit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 04:59PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 05:23PM

A long, long time ago (shortly after I left the cult some 36 years ago), I was still getting those from family members (that was before e-mail, so they were usually in person).

Every time I'd get one, I'd reply, "Gee, if you feel like it's OK to promote your beliefs about the church to me, then it must be OK for me to tell you why I left your church. Here, let me explain..."

And then I'd explain.

It took about 2 years, but since that time, not a single family member has given me any "come back to church" lines. Not in person, not in e-mail, not in letters -- nothing.
They finally got the message, and they didn't want to hear anything about "equal time" or what's "fair." :)

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 05:29PM

The August Ensign had three articles on "inviting others back to the gospel."

Lucky us.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 09:06AM

What a cult

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 05:54PM

I will come back to church once a Mormon answers my sincere questions honestly.

#1. How did Joseph Smith and Brigham Young marry their followers wives without that violating the law, all laws governing marriage, especially the Law of the Priesthood?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 07:21PM

We should flood church members with emails inviting them to come join us at the park for a beer because the church doesn't matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2017 07:23PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 07:26PM

Also send them free samples of coffee, booze mix, tickets to strip shows, and normal underwear ads.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 10:07PM

The OP is true except the part about it being true.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 01:09AM

“In order to keep your faith intact, make sure it stays unsullied by fact”

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 02:28AM

With respect to the facts, TSCC has been playing stupid for 180 years. It might be time to admit that they're not playing.

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 09:15AM

Reply to the e mail saying how much you love them and miss them. You want to welcome them to leave the church because it's not true. Of course you will understand if they don't stop attending church but hope that they come around one day to see that it is not true.

Date: August 29, 2017 11:18AM

A few may be getting close to a fence sitter. The others are lifers and will likely die devoted to the LDS mindset. To much time invested to think any other way.

Posted by: Gd ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 08:05PM

Correct. All based on fear (what if it's not true), and pride (i just wasted years).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2017 08:11PM by Gd.

Date: August 29, 2017 11:24AM

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I thanked them for the email and we miss them...too bad we didn't live closer...yadda yadda yadda pleasantries.

It's near pointless to talk about church history and truth claims with some of them. They can't be bothered OR it doesn't matter. They like the Mormon lifestyle community. The visits give me stifling laugh moment each time as they complain about a church job or what the prophet said...blah blah blah.

I always play the agreeing that it's tough and maybe you should ask for a different volunteer job, or just quit. You can't be fired from a volunteer job. Ask for another one. God will understand that you are really busy for this or that. So, they laugh, but don't dare to change.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 11:59AM

that got my 'best friend' to cool it. She said I really woke her up with that one.

Now my daughter isn't speaking to me at this time because I told her I didn't appreciate her posting that she loved all her mothers on mother's day on fb. She obviously KNOWS without a doubt not to approach me about being mormon. She has switched over to her father. When she was home last winter, she even invited him to a ward party. I got a good laugh out of that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.