Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TeaFiend ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 07:20PM

Hi, I'm planning my excommunication and wanted to hear some ideas or stories of your own excommunication.

I don't want to resign, it's not my style, but I do want to get excommunicated. I have some plans already, but as I said I'd love to hear some ideas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 07:59PM

Get to know the bishop's wife. Give her some random anti mormon literature. Have her read it while you spend some quality time looking over her shoulder.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 08:03PM

I'd love to help, but mine was entirely anti-climactic.
In fact, I didn't even know it had happened.
I had moved from the ward I was assigned to (going off to college) when they ex'd me, so I never got a 'summons' or a letter or anything else. I only found out a couple of years ago when a relative got ahold of my 'official record' and it said I'd been ex'd. No fun at all :(

I did have a friend from my youth who felt like you did, and so decided to go in and lie to the bishop. He went in and told the bishop he'd had sex with dozens of women, and had no desire whatsoever to 'repent.' In truth, he was gay and shy, and hadn't had sex with anyone at that point.

Sure enough, they ex'd him for 'law of chastity' violations. For a while he proudly carried his exing letter around, showing it to everyone, and claiming those idiots in the stake were too clueless to know he was lying, and had zero "power of discernment."

He enjoyed it, and I got his point...but lying to these jerks, IMHO, puts us on their level. Not my cup of tea :)

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 08:48PM

Here's how I did it. You also have to win leadership roulette. My SP fit the bill.

http://www.mormonthink.com/personalstories/bruce-holt.htm

Good luck in whatever you do!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 09:27PM

The Moose (Bruce) acted heroically and honorably in his case.
Well worth the read.

Posted by: anon at this time ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 04:11PM

I have not posted here for many years, but I loved reading every single word of your post. I went through the pretty much the very same process as you did, reading every single book or volume of books before I left the church nearly 10 years ago. I also read many other volumes, and ONLY did I read those which were "Church Approved". I never studied online as the church leaders had warned us at that time not to do so.
We at the time owned the J of D, and I was shocked time after time in reading the entire 26 volumes. In the end, after several years of being afraid to tell my family what I had learned, one day it just all came out. It ended up in my divorce, as my ex-husband is a firm believer to this day. Some of my children no longer believe, but I never told them why I left, i.e.- the details. I told them if they wanted to learn the truth, then they would have to do that on their own. Some chose to do so, others not. I think, well, I know that you are a very brave and strong person, because I know what it took for me to tell the truth and get out. I have had many trials in my life, but none comparable to that one, not even close.

Date: September 10, 2017 01:43AM

Thanks Hie! Much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 01:44AM by Bruce A Holt.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 01:45PM

I did not read as extensively as you, Bruce, but I simply stumbled upon a well documented book about the plural wives of Joseph Smith. Then I did a bit of research on my own and went to the local Institute of Religion with my questions. I was told that everything I read was true but was also told "...the Church is still true". I searched my soul and could not endure the conflict within me that said "nothing this corrupt and secretive could ever be described as true". It was all lies.

I did not get excommunicated but over the course of several years could not live with myself being a latter-day saint knowing what I knew. I resigned. But I often thought about how awful it makes the church look every time it excommunicates members for knowing and sharing the truth about the one true church.

Date: September 10, 2017 07:18PM

Amen! Personal integrity wins out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 07:18PM by Bruce A Holt.

Posted by: run0emma0run ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 03:44PM

Great fb post Bruce! That took a lot of courage.

Date: September 10, 2017 01:45AM

Thanks. To be frank (and who doesn't like Frank?), it was less courageous than you might think.

Posted by: FactChecker ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 02:06PM

Many thanks for posting. I followed the link and read everything. I'm glad your wife has stayed true to you. Eventually, she'll come round. At least, I hope she will.

Kind regards

Date: September 10, 2017 07:19PM

Thanks! My hope, as well.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 08:58PM

I'm not going for it but I would like excommunication. At least then I will be something. People can't understand "former Mormon." Doesn't compute.

One can say they used to go to church. They used to be Catholic. They used to be.

Mormons are like some weird pseudo-ethnicity. I hear how people knew some Mormons once and they were great. Ok. They ask me if I got kicked out? No. They ask me why I think I'm not a Mormon.

Then a long story or the short one - I don't believe all that crap. Well, do I believe in Jesus? If I do just go to another church so you can say you are a Christian. Geeze...

Mormons are just those weird Christians who can't really be Christian but they like Jesus and are real nice.

If I were excommunicated I could at least say they kicked me out. Resigning is incomprehensible to many people. They ask me if it is like a membership in a club. And did I do that door to door thing. And are Jehovah's Witnesses like Mormons?

Date: September 10, 2017 01:47AM

You're somebody. Never doubt that.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 09:41PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 10:07PM

You could always wear your temple clothing to sacrament meeting. You'll be a big hit when you walk around testing everyone's knowledge of the signs and tokens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2017 10:09PM by messygoop.

Posted by: TempeX ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 02:24AM

Have an accomplice obviously film you, then put on YouTube

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 03:05PM

How about bearing your truth in testimony meeting sharing your feelings? Don't think it would take long at all for you to be exed.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 10:01PM

Might plant some seeds and would be interesting just to see how long they would let you talk about the LDS fraud; you could start by how you are there to spread the truth ... then after a bit start talking about the church as a true fraud.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 03:29PM

Make sure you have a few Mormon Facebook friends. It's best if some of those friends are in your ward and stake. Regularly post anti-Mormon material. Your excommunication should be forthcoming.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 04:38PM

So many things don't get you excommunicated anymore. Especially if you're not active. You'll probably have to claim you had gay sex. And liked it. And advocate it.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 04:45PM

Start a blog and post every provable inconvenient fact you can regarding Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, the Book of Abraham, Brigham Young, and everything else that comes to mind that is factual and embarrassing to the LDS church.

Then tell all your friends--especially TBMs--that you have started a blog and you want them to read it.

Stand by for being ex'd.

Posted by: PenisMightier ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 04:49PM

Sex on the sacrament table...during sacrament meeting.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 11:51AM

just make sure it's gay sex.

Posted by: 25in25out ( )
Date: August 29, 2017 11:48PM

I was excommunicated in 95. Easy easy back then. I needed a clean break, and got it. I'm on your side and totally understand how you feel. Since then I have had three different SP tell me "ppl are not EX for that sin anymore so come on back" I do know that if you can't sustain the prophet you can't come back. So telling your SP that the "old guys" are not called of god. That they do not receive revelation, and that new blood should be running the church including women. Also the fb posts stating the same would help.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 05:55AM

So you won't walk out the door that has been provided by the courts, because that's not your style. You want to break a window and crawl out over the broken glass.

You're certainly able to do that. I really can't stop you. Don't, however, expect me to be impressed with your willingness to suffer or make a spectacle. Not going to happen.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 08:02AM

Get up in testimonkey meeting:

Claim that God and Jesus visited you in a grove of trees by your house and told you that none of the churches are true. Then say they said the gospel needs to be restored because JS perverted what they wanted him to do. Be sure and mention that you were invited to stick your finger through Jesus' hole in his hand and Jesus made you promise not to tell anyone his secret name for it.

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 04:28PM

I've always liked the idea of wearing your garments over your regular clothing.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 04:56PM

Mormon leaders say, "You can think all you want, but you just can't say it out loud" (if it goes against their grain); Or, you indicate that what you said is Mormon doctrine when they say it is not (that is, it is not acknowledged as such now-a-days).

I spoke out loud at an open-to-anyone symposium in SLC, Utah, reg. the priesthood's appearance in the J.S. & O.C church days. It was J.S. doctrine verbatim, but is not acceptable doctrine now, and so it is swept under the rug.

Packer came after me with all claws extended. He 'suggested' to my Stake President (against church laws), that I be excommunicated. My S.P refused to do so (under thus and so conditions), which took a lot of strength on his part.

Exciting days (1992-07-ish).

Haven't been 'active' since.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 09:15PM

I typed up my letter to resign. I have thought long and hard about this. I don't like to just quit something I've been doing for a long time. Sending off a letter seems like a coward's way of doing things. Send it off, get a response, that's it?

I have my TBM friends calling, texting, and emailing me wanting to know where I am and ????????????

Maybe this is what I need to do? Tell them the truth everyone denies and does not acknowledge as fact. I was told "not to talk to anyone about this" by my ex-bp. Maybe this is JUST what I need to do?

I don't facebook, twitter and tweet so I am not connected in that way. Maybe me getting ex-ed is what I need to feel some sort of closure on all this mess I've stumbled onto recently?

I could bare my testimony about the truthfulness of what has me changing my mind about being a member of a fake church. I can cause a lot of doubt. I just hate the sick feeling my friends will get when they discover the truth of things. All because of me. I felt like tossing my cookies for days when I first found out. My world crashed as I knew it.

Returning a used car has more conversation than that. I want a conversation to let my poor sheeple friends know what I have found. They are asking me to call or otherwise contact them, and they say they want to know?......So, what the hell?

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 11:49PM

How bout one of those "Coexist" bumper stickers. Or one for a democratic candidate.

Posted by: Deletedmyaccount ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 03:10PM

Go for it! Sit down with your bishop and tell him you would like to be excommunicated. Deny the existence of the Holy Ghost, and the priesthood. Argue your points and don't give an inch. Worked for me in the 80's. Good luck!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 10:48AM

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought there'd be a support group for Mormons in recovery before, during, and after their departure.

I don't understand why anyone would want to be ex'd. Guess that's as personal to them as my wanting to resign when I did. The whole kangaroo court system is devoid of understanding or compassion for the "accused." By the time someone is in the kangaroo court there is no presumption of innocence, and zero due process. You can't have a friend, an advocate, or attorney present.

It's venomous.

If you really would rather be ex'd, just keep throwing spaghetti against the wall until something sticks. Sooner or later they'll notice and your wish will be granted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2017 10:49AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 11:10AM

Here are some core values of the Corporate Church:

* tithing and financial gain for the corp
* a 'faithful' base which will help achieve the tithing and income streams they desire
* good or at least neutral PR.
* a stream of young ones raised in the corp which will help provide income streams in the future.

There might be a few others. Find a way to disrupt these core values and you will be shown the door quicker than you can say Californication.

My experience was that the court of love was about keeping me in and keeping me paying. Even before my verdict was announced to me, the SP starts talking about how I will be able to keep reaping the blessings of tithing. I had a confused look on my face and he back tracks and says as an after thought that I am disfellowshipped and continues with the tithing rant. He knew going into it that I wanted to be excommunicated. It was very telling to me what the Morg was all about.

Good luck in your quest. I so testify that it is all about the money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2017 11:11AM by cheezus.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 12:42PM

You could come to sacrament meeting wearing some sort of Mormon dress code violations (pants for women, etc). Then, when someone objects, you could just take the offending clothing off.

That should move the process along.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 08:17PM

I'm already doing just that, sleeveless tops and cutoffs, not to church. I haven't ironed any clothes for church in over 3 months, tho. Woohoo!

If enough TBM's stood up for fair tithing- a true 'increase'- after the bills get paid-- that would decrease revenues for TSCC! What a great idea! bring down the morg. penny at a time...

The church is fake and I have to deal with it, alone here. It is all fake. We talk about it like it is real? Irrefutable evidence is what we are armed with...

The stress of all this crap I have learned about, has me growing a stress strip in the top, right, front hairline. White hairs they be...All this crap has super stressed me out. And dealing with it alone.

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 02:22PM

TSCC is an abusive spouse that has lied and cheated you. Take back your power and divorce it! Don't wait for it to decide whether or not to kick you out.

Posted by: run0emma0run ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 04:14PM

good point!

Date: September 10, 2017 01:55PM

"Speaking ill of the Lord's anointed" seems to get the higher priesthood authorities pretty worked-up. Start with Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and any of the other historically beloved leaders. Then work your way down through the modern day leaders until you get to your very own stake and bishopric leaders. That should do it. And by "speaking ill" I simply mean telling the absolute truth about all of them and their speech and actions. They all have dirty hands by refusing to tell the truth about Mormonism.

I think telling the absolute truth will get you ex-ed faster than just about anything.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 02:05PM

Actively & openly recruit tbms to leave the church.

You'll be exed in no time.

Date: September 10, 2017 02:24PM

Talking and writing openly about the temple endowment ceremony secrets and going around making the signs and giving the handshakes would probably get the desired result. And try giving thanks in prayer for the man who shot Joseph in Carthage. OOOOH, would that ever cause a fuss.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 03:05AM

Be straightforward. Be genuine. Be proud.

You take charge. You tell them you are no longer a member, and you tell them why, in your resignation letter. Put in in writing. Send copies to anyone you want. I kept copies by the door, to hand to missionaries, and any other Mormons who came to my door. My son handed a copy to the Deacon who persisted in coming to collect fast offerings, after I kept telling him we were no longer members. I also told them when I was no longer a member--the second they received and signed for the registered letter. I refused any bishop interview or follow-up. Why should you obey their orders when you are no longer a member? Why should they be able to dictate to you, when they have absolutely no authority over you, no authority from God.

By accepting an excommunication, you are giving them power over you. By resigning on your own, you are rising above the fake rules and the petty judgments. You are too good for an evil cult. Please stop jumping through their hoops, and move on!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.