Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 09:08AM

does this mean that god will send a hurricane to destroy Salt Lake ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 11:53AM

Hahahahahahahshahaaaaaaaaa!!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 09:19AM

...because god is a republican.

It says so, right in their platform. :)

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 09:24AM

Well, to be fair she said that she doesn't believe Harvey to be punishment for having elected a lesbian mayor. She just thinks that to be a more likely reason than climate change.

Her statement was the textbook definition of trolling.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: September 05, 2017 10:26AM

Presuming this person has watched the storm at a safe physical distance, and yet still is so awed by the catastrophic storm events they may have need to distance themselves emotionally or intellectually from whatever caused this awe if powerful damaging storm (which impacted their sense of strength safety and soundness definitely caused an awareness of their vulnerability)

If this person has experienced the experience of storm and flooding then we could call it scapegoating.

perhaps this person is finding the storm and flooding so frightening that their biological defense mechanism for flight fight or freeze caused their higher order thinking skills to temporarily be inaccessible to them (at least for a moment)

I don't know much but I do know this tragedy of inaccessibility to logic higher levels of cognitive function grasping at straws in fear full on faces human vulnerabilities; we have seen it time after time in history.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 09:35AM

Her statement was:

I don't believe Hurricane Harvey is God's punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor. But that is more credible than "climate change."

So let's get this straight. It is more likely for a major meteorological event to be caused by a deity ticked off at a city for electing a lesbian than it is for a major meteorological event to be caused by a long-term meteorological trend.

How does than make sense to anyone?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 08:36PM

times you read it. I tried.

I'm kind of surprised at Ann Coulter. I thought she was smarter than that. (Politically impaired, but reasonably bright.)

Posted by: TempeX ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 04:58AM

No doubt the 1900 Galveston Hurricane Disaster was an earlier climate-change event...

No doubt at all...

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 10:02AM

What a low life Coulter is.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 10:08AM

Ya gotta add POS to that description. One of the most hateful "journalists" out there.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 11:05AM

Ann Coulter isn't stupid. She has her priorities. Her number one priority is making money. She has found that the more outrageous she is, the more attention she gets and the more money she makes.

I am convinced that she doesn't believe virtually any of the nonsense that comes out of her mouth. She is just a rhetorical bomb thrower. I don't pay her or her super short skirts (if she is still wearing them) any attention.

The worst thing anyone can do for the likes of Ann Coulter is take her seriously.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 11:13AM

Let me get this straight, this is God's punishment for electing a lesbian mayor, who is no longer in office, rather than the long term warming of the Gulf of Mexico?

She really needs to get a life.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 11:26AM

Was the hurricane named after Harvey Milk?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 11:39AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 11:47AM

Sadly, this is now-typical Right-Wing baiting.

Move to Canada, anyone?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 05, 2017 12:29AM

Love the idea. But leaders come and go. One of my favorite poems is "Ozymandias." I don't remember it verbatim, (I have considered it to be my ex's theme song for a long time) but the basic theme is here is this guy, Ozymandias, all impressed with himself and his endless power and glory, all gone now, buried in the shifting sands of time. Sic transit gloria mundi, right?

America will still be here when 45 is dust. And I hope I live long enough to see it.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 11:55AM

If you read between the lines this is quite a compliment to gay people. God, the ultimate power in the universe, is unable to do anything about gay people directly. Instead he has to take out an entire city, a good portion of whom didn't even vote for the gay mayor in the first place.

So the message I take from Ann Coulter's diatribe is this - You better not mess with us gays! Even God Her/Him/Itself is afraid to face us head on.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 12:03PM

amen!

It seems the R's Dog is #1 Bully:(

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 12:03PM

But as usual, don't allow the truth to interrupt the forceful narrative bouncing around inside your head.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 12:14PM

Date: August 30, 2017 12:23PM

Do you ever crawl out of your tiny little bumper sticker world and recognize there's a nearly infinite landscape of opinions that differ from yours, and hardly a single one of them is actually motivated by anything approaching hatred?

Date: August 30, 2017 12:58PM

Date: August 30, 2017 03:19PM

Tall Man, Short Hair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But as usual, don't allow the truth to interrupt
> the forceful narrative bouncing around inside your
> head.

Here's her exact quote:

"I don't believe Hurricane Harvey is God's punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor. But that is more credible than "climate change.""

Do you agree that HH being god's punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor is more probable than ANYTHING?

Do you believe 'god' sends hurricanes ever, anywhere, as punishment for anything?

Do you agree with her ignorant dismissal of the observed fact of climate change, and using a hate slur to do it?

Date: August 30, 2017 04:31PM

H2K, my friend ...
I'm going to defer my response. For the moment just imagine I'm furiously banging out a screed to deny every single one of your baseless contentions, and I'm throwing in a good measure of snark as well.

Actually, I'm working on a writing project that is just getting to a really fun part, so, I'm going to stay inside the rest of the day and enjoy myself.

Please carry on without me! I'm in too good a mood.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 06:23PM

"But as usual, don't allow the truth to interrupt
the forceful narrative bouncing around inside your
head."

What exactly is the "truth" you're referring to?

When you have time to respond and feel like responding, of course.

Date: August 30, 2017 07:02PM

Tall Man, Short Hair Wrote:
> H2K, my friend ...
> I'm going to defer my response. For the moment
> just imagine I'm furiously banging out a screed to
> deny every single one of your baseless
> contentions, and I'm throwing in a good measure of
> snark as well.

I asked three questions.
Questions are not "contentions."
Want to try again? :)

> Actually, I'm working on a writing project that is
> just getting to a really fun part, so, I'm going
> to stay inside the rest of the day and enjoy
> myself.

Enjoy.

> Please carry on without me! I'm in too good a
> mood.

If I ask another question, will you call it another "baseless contention?" (actually, that WAS another question!)

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: September 05, 2017 01:07PM

Just love it when you turn on the light and the cockroaches scurry away. Later TMSH. Don't let a rational response to the questions hit you on the ass on your way under the fridge.

Its really too bad. TMSH gives a bad name to those christians who accept climate change and can see Coulter for what he/she really is... a person who gets rich stirring the pot.

HH =)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 04:13PM

The woman has figured out a way to get paid for being a jerk. This is good for her, because she has no talent.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 08:18PM

Methinks the lady needs to seriously get laid.

If her adam's apple is any suggestion of her lady parts she could get herself seriously banged.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 08:49PM

Whatever you're contention with the OP, TMSH, you don't find what Coulter said offensive? Or wrong?

I understand that she wasn't actually saying that Harvey was a punishment from God, but her comment was both offensive to gay people and also flying in the face of the logic that is climate change.

I take it you don't believe in climate change or at least don't think this hurricane had anything to do with it.

You truly don't understand why people thought what she said was offensive?

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 08:55PM

Why does this woman have a platform?

She's like a circus side show freak and not nearly as entertaining as the bearded lady or Siamese twins.

She's boring.

Date: August 30, 2017 09:17PM

CateS Wrote:
> Why does this woman have a platform?

She's sorta like the token black guy mormons put in their ads...you know, to show how "not racist" they are.

She's a woman (who some think is/used to be somewhat attractive, though I don't) who's a rabid conservative. You know, to show that conservatives aren't all old white guys...

:)

Date: August 31, 2017 10:12AM

Correction: He did date her -- briefly

http://www.zimbio.com/Ann+Coulter/articles/DSuF9etzADb/Ann+Coulter+Boyfriend+History

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2017 10:59AM by anybody.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 11:43PM

Doesn't Coulter know that the current Houston Mayor is a Sylvester Turner? He is not white or gay. He's black.
What is the matter with this woman? She doesn't seem to be able to stay current and pay attention.
Embarrassing.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 30, 2017 11:50PM

Ann who?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 05, 2017 10:10PM

Right? Hence her, "Hey! Remember me? Hey! Come back here!"

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 01:45AM

I just watched PBS that interviewed 3 climate scientists who said you cannot attribute Harvey to climate change. It is a single incident. Incidents happen. But of course, few people understand science and statistics and probabilities.

The earth may be warming generally, but doesn't mean that made Harvey.

Here, last winter was the 10th coldest on record. Was that also caused by global warming?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 04:49AM

Such incidents and extreme weather patterns are occurring with greater frequency and at alarming rates, which according to many experts is because of global warming.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 08:31AM

Date: August 31, 2017 09:18AM

Date: August 31, 2017 08:33AM

Free Man Wrote:
> But of course, few people
> understand science and statistics and
> probabilities.
>
> The earth may be warming generally, but doesn't
> mean that made Harvey.

I don't think anybody claimed "that made Harvey."
However, there's this:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/08/hurricane-harvey-climate-change-global-warming-weather/

Might want to consider if you're in the group you mentioned above or not...

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 02:42PM

Hmmmm, but no major hurricanes during the gay mayor's tenure. Now they have an evangelical mayor and the huge storms come. Also, which does Houston have more of (way more)? Evangelicals or gays? So who do YOU think God is mad at?

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 07:15PM

From the ridiculous to the sublime!!!!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 02:37PM

So breaking religious rules causes hurricanes, fires, floods, etc? What about India and Nepal-- huge floods (12,000 dead)-- Oregon, Montana fires, etc.? So humans can cause all of that just by electing a lesbian mayor, or some other such nonsense?
So these deities are that nasty? Spare me. Not a fan.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 06:34PM

I thought Ann Coulter was gay. Am I wrong about that?

Date: September 08, 2017 11:40AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/annise-parker-ann-coulter_us_59b153a5e4b0354e440fdb68

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 11:41AM by anybody.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.