Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 03:25PM

I've always wondered their obsession with this and being on this board i finally get it. Its about the sorceror's stone and their chamber of secrets. And all the magic fantasy stuff of course. We all have to admit most of them had an unusual obsession with harry potter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 03:31PM

They think the "priesthood" is like being a wizard.
You can do magic. Using Elohim's "power."

So, yeah, seeing something where people use their power to do magic reinforces their beliefs.

There's also the "good" magic and the evil "magic" in the Potter stories. Like Elohim and Satan.

Date: September 06, 2017 03:36PM

Yes thats exactly what they think with priesthood good call. They even have a thing for star wars and being jedis. And a little bit of lord of the rings with those battles they make them think of the book of mormon. But i admit even i like some of lord of the rings.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 03:43PM

Talk about unhealthy..

All magical feel good babble... good agains evil... good always wins with the help of some magic f#cking fairy dust and blessed olive oil and then we all sing a song and everybody is happy ever after..

*puke!*

Date: September 06, 2017 03:50PM

Hahaha that is pretty accurate.

Date: September 07, 2017 01:12PM

The disney obsession might actually be worse when i actually think about it.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 03:44PM

Funny, I know a lot of people who love HP, and they aren't LDS

Date: September 06, 2017 03:52PM

Well maybe it goes across the board i never knew a non-mormon that liked it but my friend circle wasnt very large.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 04:56PM

Exactly.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 06:12PM

The post asked why "so many" mormons love Harry Potter, not why "only" mormons love Harry Potter. It was in respect to why mormons love it, not a comparison between mormons and non-mormons.

I'm afraid your reply is out of context, therefore making it null and void :)

Date: September 06, 2017 06:16PM

Appreciate that Jonny

Posted by: Voldemort ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 01:37PM

I know one LDS family that are Harry Potter fanatics, and hundreds that aren't. Rowling didn't become filthy rich because the books and movies appeal to a minuscule number of mormons. I don't think there's any evidence that a disproportionate percentage of mormons love Harry Potter.

I'm afraid your reply and the OP are nonsense, therefore making both null and void :)

Posted by: Voldemort ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 01:42PM

PS - Say my name...I dare you!

Date: September 07, 2017 01:45PM

I dont know a single mormon that isnt obsessed with harry potter but maybe i need to know more people.

Date: September 07, 2017 01:49PM

And your name is tom riddle you dumbshit stop pretending to be a badass with a made up name.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 03:47PM

Harry Potter has no appeal to me. I can do without it, completely. Not into fantasy, or science fiction either.
Give me a good mystery writer and I'm a happy camper!

Oops. Forgot to comment on the question. A lot of LDS folks like the series probably because it is an acceptable escape. It's true for those that are not LDS also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 03:49PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: September 06, 2017 03:53PM

It definitely is an escape but why would mormons want an escape hmmm.

Date: September 06, 2017 04:07PM

I love HP.

But I like fantasy and Science fiction. I'm your typical round of the mill NERD.

I love Doctor Who, Star Wars, Star Trek, the Marvel superhero's and all the jazz. Total whacky fun.

It actually quite surprised me that mormons are into HP. You'd think with it being about witchcraft they'd warn against it..

Date: September 06, 2017 06:19PM

Im kind of a star wars nerd a little bit myself. I like star trek when im in the mood or want to go to sleep, its peaceful in the background for sure. Never seen Dr. Who though.

Date: September 06, 2017 07:23PM

badassadam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Im kind of a star wars nerd a little bit myself.

I knew there was a reason I liked you so much, adam :)

Please forgive my "bragging," but this is one of very few things I can do so about, and being a Star Wars nerd myself, it's just...cool:

My one nerd-worthy claim to fame: I'm in a Star Wars movie.
Episode I (yeah, I know, the worst of them all, but it's all I've got!). Parade scene in Naboo at the end. Look for the guy in robes with brown hair and a bald spot. That's me (I'm actually in the scene about 20 times, 'cause we were shot on a green-screen stage and then replicated all over the place, but sadly my closest-up view is my back side looking over me at the parade, so the bald spot stands out).

I was working at Lucasfilm when it was in production. Got to be an extra.

So, yeah, it's not that big of a deal to non-star-wars-nerds, but to the faithful it is. Dude, I'm *IN* a Star Wars movie!

<grin>

Date: September 07, 2017 12:49AM

Oooh I'm jealous!!!! .. that must have been fun!!

Date: September 07, 2017 01:34AM

I knew you were a superstar hie somehow i knew it, i will try to spot you out the next time i watch. I actually kind of like the first one i was fifteen at the time and the hype as you know was HUGE especially darth maul in the previews and darth maul definitely did not disappoint. I also like the second movie because anakin reminds me so much of myself at that age its scary and i like how he fell and made it back to the good side which is what i feel im trying to do now. So i can relate to anakin quite a bit. Most people hate the second movie but not me baby not me i think i was about anakins age when that movie came out and i still remember watching on the big screen with my best friend and that whole third act is baaaadass.

Date: September 07, 2017 01:38AM

And where in the parade scene? In the parade? Watching the parade? Or with the group of main characters? Im going to watch it and see if i can find you.

Date: September 07, 2017 02:16AM

I think i saw you Hie are you standing kind of close to R2-D2?

Date: September 07, 2017 01:10PM

Sadly, no -- nowhere near R2-D2 (though I have been close to "him," and my buddy Nelson Kirby Hall was for many years R2-D2's operator).

Just a guy in the crowd.
If you go here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTDeA313H80

and go to 21 seconds in, you'll see the crowd from the back. There's a guy with silver hair bottom-left, and in *front* of him you'll see two brown-robed hands raised clapping -- my hands. That's me. :)

Date: September 07, 2017 01:18PM

That is way too hard for me to spot out. The crowd is pretty clustered.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 09:28PM

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 04:10PM

My sister, and some other LDS people I've heard of, forbade her kids from reading Harry Potter because it promoted witchcraft = satanism. I think that's hooey. Also, I love HP because it's about love and friendship, being true to yourself and what you think is right. That, and the characters are great and it's a fun story. I really don't think fans of HP love it because they think magic is real.

Date: September 06, 2017 06:27PM

I remember when the first movie came out there were protesters with signs outside the movie theater totally against it.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 12:10AM

like good vs evil, friendship, courage, doing what you believe is right, etc. Harry, Hermione, Ron et al are not so different from the rest of us. (Did you ever go to school with a kid as nasty as Draco Malfoy?? Yeah. Me too.)

What makes this series so much fun is that it is set in a world of magic. You have to "suspend disbelief," and make the de facto acceptance of "magic," and move on from there. All you can do is marvel at Rowling's incredible creativity as a storyteller.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 05:55PM

Lots of people like Harry Potter. It isnt a Mormon thing. I see kids who have never read a book reading HP. Even if it isnt my cup of tea, I see it as a good thing.

Date: September 06, 2017 06:25PM

I know lots of people like it hell even i get entertained with the movies. But i was around a lot of mormons when it first came out and they were just crazy obsessed with it almost like it was their new scripture knowing every detail about it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 06:02PM

Using their imaginations aides their creativity and intellectual development.

I think mormons do likely think priesthood is similar to wizardry and they also relate it to The Force in Star Wars. Mormon grownups don't seem to mature into adulthood as well as many average never mormons.

Date: September 06, 2017 06:22PM

I think the adults are mentally kept as children by design in the church, what do you think?

Date: September 06, 2017 06:46PM

It's a matter of wanting to control "the flock."

Date: September 06, 2017 06:50PM

The worst part is i dont think they will ever realize it unless they truly step away for a long time and get help on learning to think for themselves and becoming a true adult. Even im still working on it.

Date: September 06, 2017 07:36PM

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: September 06, 2017 06:54PM

I loved all the Harry Potter books, and read them to my grandkids for bedtime stories, and then they started reading them for themselves. They all loved them, too. My daughter had some neighbors who were evangelical Christians, and they had a little girl the same age as my granddaughter, and she used to cry and tell my granddaughter that she would go to hell for reading HP books. I told my granddaughter that #1, there is no such place as "hell" and #2, if there were, you would not go there for reading a book. But after a talk with my daughter, she agreed to my taking the kids to the UU church so they could learn about the world's religions and what they believed, and learn to think for themselves. The evangelical neighbors quit begging to take my grandkids to their Christian mega-church, and my grandkids loved their Religious Exploration classes at the UU church. They all grew up atheist, with Harry Potter morals. :) To me, as a nevermo but former Christian (Methodist variety) it was a win-win all around. PLUS--I got hooked on J.K. Rowling as a writer, and have fallen in love with her new 'adult" book series featuring a one-legged private detective, Cormoron Strike. She writes those under the name "Robert Galbraith." There are 3 so far, and if you like detective fiction, BUY THEM. The first one is called "Cuckoo's Calling," then "Silkworm," then "Career of Evil" (I think...that could be not exactly right), but damn, they're great page turners with characters you will love reading about, and fascinating plots. :) The fourth one in the series is finished but not yet published. I go into B&N every week and ask if they have a date for it's publishing yet but every week they say "Not yet--check back." And every week I do. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.