Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 03:58PM

I sincerely don't get this.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-releases-statement-on-hurricane-irma

Really, this is necessary?

"Members and missionaries have been given instruction on seeking shelter, gathering food and water and preparing for the days ahead."

What would have become of them if--like millions of other people in the hurricane's path--they DIDN'T receive "instruction on seeking shelter, gathering food and water and preparing for the days ahead." What would they have done?

And more, a quick look showed no media releases from other churches on the subject. I wonder why.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-releases-statement-on-hurricane-irma

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 04:00PM

I think its more of a statement of assurance to parents and guardians of missionaries currently in south Florida.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 04:08PM

Bam,

I take your point. Thanks.

But I think especially in the case of missionaries this kind of behavior sets people up for a lifetime of dependency on the Corporation for guidance on things anyone else would think through for themselves.

But maybe that's not an accident...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 04:01PM

Mormons have to be told what to think and do.
You know that already, right? :)

If the church doesn't give them "instruction" on seeking shelter, gathering food and water, and preparing for the days ahead" then they can't do any of those things. Because the prophet hasn't done the thinking for them.

Posted by: Google ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 04:05PM

The only question I have for you is now who will do the thinking for Tommy Boy???

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 04:10PM

BYU BONER!

Posted by: TBM ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 04:12PM

tells me what to do, like where to go to get gas, what grocery stores are still open and whether it's OK to miss church thus Sunday this SundayinthenameofJesusChristamen.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 04:39PM

...And just because the storm is expected to make landfall on Sunday morning does not relieve members from the obligation to scrub toilets and put storm shutters up on the meeting houses and stake centers on Saturday!

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 04:42PM

...and furthermore LDS Temples in the path of the storm are open for all sesssions. The dead are not going to baptise themselves!!

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 02:16AM

Immediately, I wondered how many temples are in the path of this thing? Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale and Atlanta, Columbia, SC?

I'm wondering if the lord is trying to tell some one something?

Date: September 07, 2017 04:55PM

regular or high-octane gas?

Costco, walmart, or ? for groceries, other items

If U miss (1) Sunday @ church, Well bub, you're on your own!

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 03:40AM

I imagine that people all across Florida are getting similar instructions from lots of different sources.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 04:54PM

This substantiates the fact that the MormonCult demands of young missionaries to rely on the cult for information about the area they are serving in. Are they encouraged to keep up on the latest news daily? Of course not!

They are told that the missionary dad will take care of them letting them know about "stuff of the world" and that what they need to do is spend ALL of their time preparing and preaching the gospel.

Hell, they cannot even call home when they want or need to.

Yeah, the cult declares that a teen is old enough to go out in the world on a mission but not old enough to keep abreast of what is happening in their community and the world. THIS IS DANGEROUS TO THE MISSIONARY AND I DECLARE IT IS CHILD ABUSE!!!!

Date: September 07, 2017 04:57PM

'singleness of purpose', Dude!

Posted by: you betchya ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 10:18PM

I take it as MPs having to be told that official missionary duties are to be suspended in favor of life-saving preparations. I think some of them would not take such action without clear direction from their masters.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 07, 2017 10:34PM

At least the Mormon church has enough money to rebuild its meeting houses. As far as the members' homes, they are on their own.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 03:15AM

Irma Gerd. I stole that from the comments section of one of the news sites. Too funny to not pass up posting on this forum. But in all seriousness, good luck to those in the path of that monster.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 02:34PM

What about the LDS owned property in Florida? Have the cattle been evacuated?

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: September 09, 2017 03:25AM

The missionaries should have been sent home, or at least to a mission that isn't in its path.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 09, 2017 01:39AM

himicanes.

Date: September 09, 2017 03:00PM

Good Thing they did, Everyone Else was WAITING!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.