Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 06:43PM

I happened to pass through Logan, Utah, the other day. I suddenly became aware of a number of women wearing long skirts or dresses. They weren't fundie Mormon style. Lightweight fabrics, floral, somewhat stylish, but, you know, Mormon modest. Eh, okay, if that's what they like to wear. In my travels around the country about the only times I've seen long skirts/dresses were among hippie-ish people or cosplayers, not among average suburban women. So it seems like a regional thing, or-micro-regional. Shrug.

But then I saw a woman in a long skirt with a spaghetti-strap top, open back and deep neckline. I had to laugh. Okay, I guess long hemlines aren't just a modesty thing. Maybe an I-don't-want-to-shave-my-legs thing? Or something?

Meanwhile, there's the very Mormon thing of guys looking like they're wearing t-shirts over t-shirts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 06:46PM

Posted by: mrsnotasiplanned ( )
Date: September 09, 2017 07:40AM

They are 70's style. I remember my Mom wearing long fliral maxi dresses in tge early 70's.

I wear the long skirts/dresses. They are very comfortable and offer variety in my wardrobe.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 06:50PM

Next Thing you know...

gals will be wearing (I shudder to think of it!) SWIMSUITS WHEN THEY GO SWIMMING / TO THE BEACH =)

Please, say it ain't so!!!!

Date: September 08, 2017 07:31PM

If I understand you, you're saying there is something for which a long skirt/dress (and I'm talking ankle/floor length) is uniquely necessary, the way swimsuits are for swimming. What is that thing?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 09:31PM

Insider nudist humor, my friend =)

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 11:26PM

It's okay, if all you want to do is sit around and pout, like these unhappy-looking models. Life for them is no fun. What if someone wants to pay tennis, paddle-ball, or frisbee at the party, and you're wearing this huge tablecloth thing. What if you decide to ride a bicycle or get onto a sailboat or get on the floor and play with a child or help around the kitchen, carry trays of food up the stairs (a maxi skirt trips you) or just sit on a couch (try that in a mini-skirt).

When I left the cult, I threw away all my skirts, long and short and in the middle. I have two legs, so I wear pants, so I can do it all!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 11:33PM

It is a style. Most women wear it sometimes, wear short skirts, shorts etc.other times.A long skirt is cool in the summer if it isnt too tight and you dont have to worry about bending over. I have several maxi dresses. I also have short skirts, minis, midis and shorts.I like variety.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 08:12PM by bona dea.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 11:48PM

Some Pentecostal sects require women to wear long skirts and dresses.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 08, 2017 11:55PM

too, a lot of the women wearing long skirts like that to go look at homes, etc.

It is BIG in Logan, though. And most are made of a stretchy fabric that even when I was really, really thin, I wouldn't have worn fearful of any cellulite that would show. A lot of the women in my neighborhood wear them to church every Sunday and they have PARTIES and sell them, so obviously some company sells them. Some of my fb friends have on-line parties to sell them.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: September 09, 2017 08:25AM

It was the style a few years ago, not sure if it still is.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 09, 2017 08:43AM

Ankle-length dresses have been popular during warm weather for a few years now. I can imagine Mormon women taking to them. They are comfortable and might often hide garments depending on the top.

What really baffles me are the longer skirts that at least some of the high fashion designers (i.e. Christian Dior) are showing for fall. These fall about midway between the knee and the ankle. While the cuts, colors, fabrics and styles that are being shown are quite interesting, the length is going to be tough for many women depending on where on the calf it hits.

This is what I call "Mormon missionary length." I've seen it in a lot of photos of female missionaries. It makes them look incredibly dowdy. No other young woman would dress this way.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 09, 2017 09:13AM

Date: September 09, 2017 10:30AM

Unless you have really long, really thin legs, midis make your legs look stumpy.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 09, 2017 07:16PM

I remember during the 70s we did call them midis. They came in after the mini-skirts of the "swinging 60s." I remember thinking that clothing designers had about lost their minds. They didn't last long, as I recall. It was too drastic of a switch.

They came back in the 80s, generally in a fuller silhouette. By then, the fashion designers had beaten women into submission. The 80s were generally not known for stellar fashion.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: September 09, 2017 10:15AM

Saw a dude wearing a kilt kind of thing at Walmart a month ago. Actually seems a good idea, given better ventilation up there during the summer.

Date: September 09, 2017 10:28AM

I saw a very large, round, man in northwestern Montana wearing a camo kilt. I didn't know whether it was the tartan of a clan of hunters or whether he was trying for an outdoorsy Catholic school girl look.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 09, 2017 08:29PM

Hemlines go different ways with different ladies.(Some people think they correlate to the stock market!) I think post-modern individualism has snuffed out "today's fashion dictates..." type of conformist thinking, although there will always be smaller trends, say, footwear or blouses.

A good skirt length can, and does vary from woman to woman, depending upon occasion, other apparel (e.g. heels or flats), weather and mood. Fine! Some women, for religious or personal reasons may prefer the "modest" look. I, for one, an put off when posters deride them for exercising their fashion choice. Let them be!

As a human who currently identifies as a hopelessly monogamous cis-gendered heterosexual apparel-conforming male, I think--depending upon her figure and legs--a hem which slightly covers the knees when standing, and skims the top of them when sitting, is an appealing and fashion-safe length. Then again, a nicely stocking ankle finished off with a trim pump emerging from an evening skirt or gown...

(I shouldn't be on this thread when my wife isn't home, you know?) :=[

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 10:12AM

Depends on the fabrics and the cuts.

Long skirts with slits and a halter top are fun to wear on hot summer days or for summer parties.

Posted by: WhiteLegs ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 10:56AM

Maxi skirts are great in summer for those with very white, glow-in-the-dark legs. Keep you cool and no fake tan required!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 11:20AM

They're not the rage, but I think they're acceptable and attractive for those who like them, especially if they're offset with a pretty top.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 10, 2017 03:49PM

Yeah, a very 70's thing. My mother always said that long skirts or dresses were evening wear. But, of course, in her era that meant formal as well. I have kind of taken that idea for myself lately. I only wear long skirts in the evening or after five. For some reason it seems more appropriate but I never go terribly formal like in my mother's day with diamond jewelry, hair piled up, and high heels. But when I went to a reunion held at night, it was nice to be in a sleeveless, long dress as it was cool and at the same time I didn't have to worry about showing too much when crossing my legs. Yet, I felt sort of dressed-up. Just my opinion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.