Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 11:41AM

Andrew Hall writes ....
===========================

"Saying he heard God tell him to build a giant catapult in his backyard, seventy-three-year-old Andrew Canard of Swampy Town, Florida hurled Bibles into Hurricane Irma. His mission was to fight off the Devil’s storm, and the word of God were his weapons.

The retired engineer spent last week building a 100-foot tall siege engine used in medieval times to destroy castle walls. The device uses a heavy counterweight that is cranked into position. Once released, the stored energy propels the long wooden arm forward releasing its payload.

Neighbors of Mr. Canard had their reservations. His friend Jack “Banana” Matirko expressed the concerns many had:

Andy tried to be considerate, but Hurricane Irma was coming fast so time was of the essence. He was sawing, drilling, and praying loudly late at night and in the early morning. I commented it looked like it was going to be a big catapult and he corrected me saying it’s a treb-u–chet. Trebuchet? Sounded French to me. I didn’t want any French contraption blocking out the Sun and ruining my heirloom tomatoes.

A community commission was formed and lobbied the municipality to stop the building of the trebuchet. Mr. Canard countered by saying his religious freedoms were being assaulted by godless tomato eaters. Seeing that 2018 is an election year no one on the zoning board wanted to appear anti-Christian and pro-reason, Mr. Canard’s project went on without further resistance.

Swampy Town sits on the southern tip of mainland Florida. Hurricane Irma made landfall there over the weekend. Mr. Canard and his trebuchet were ready. Hundreds of hardcover King James Bibles were delivered earlier that week in large crates. Mr. Canard needed to decide whether to shoot the Bibles in the boxes at Irma or to take the Bibles out of their containers and load them individually onto the machine. In the former case, he knew he’d achieve greater distance. In the latter case, he’d achieve a wonderful buckshot effect against the devil storm.

And then he had an epiphany.

Why not both?

Shooting Bibles into 100+ mile per hour winds may sound easy, but the seventy-three-year-old found the labor difficult. The rain gummed up the works by swelling the ropes and making the device difficult to operate by hand. That required some problem-solving. Mr. Canard jerry-rigged an old motor in his garage to put the heavy counterweight into position as the rains poured down.

Unfortunately, the divine assault against Hurricane Irma was short lived. Twenty minutes into the assault on the weather system it was shut down by one Alexander King. Mister King’s gazebo was demolished when hit by a large crate of Bibles falling from the heavens. Incensed beyond reason, the man took his shotgun and went into the storm to punish whatever idiot was responsible. Once he found the idiot and his trebuchet Mr. King gleefully shot the machine. After shooting several times, the medieval siege engine was inoperable.

All in all Mr. Canard considers his brave stand against Hurricane Irma to be his own faith-based Alamo. While defeated, he stood up for the principles he believes in. Whenever the next hurricane arrives, he will be ready. He plans to buy land outside of town so that no innocent gazebos will be killed next time."

[admin note - from a parody site. ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 02:02PM by Eric K.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 11:52AM

LOL!! Thank you for that story! I needed some humor this morning! I guess the pen isn't that mighty after all!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 12:45PM

Soooooo funny. Thanks Dave.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 12:51PM

Thanks for a great visual while I ate lunch today.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 01:03PM

Should have used Book of Mormon's instead.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 01:26PM

Wonderful story

But-I'm-skeptical-about-the-veracity-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 01:40PM

"Veracity is highly overrated!! Why tell the alleged truth when a good tweaking will get a jaugh?"
- - Baron Judic West, religious advisor to King Henry VIII

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 01:55PM

FYI, this article comes from a satire site. It does not describe real events.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 12:10AM

Good grief ! The name "Andrew Canard" should have given it away.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 11, 2017 02:05PM

This is from the New York Post

"The man behind an online group that urged Floridians to shoot guns at Hurricane Irma — forcing cops to warn against it — admitted Sunday it was a bad joke.

Ryon Edwards, who launched the 54,000-member Facebook group “Shoot At Hurricane Irma,” said people simply misunderstood his sense of humor.

“It was cool to see the response this got from facebook. On another note, I’ve learned that about 50 Percent of the world could not understand sarcasm to save their lives. Carry on,” he wrote in a Facebook post.

“I figured (law enforcement officers) of all people would understand the humor behind (the group),” he added.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 01:39AM

(It also means "duck" - the quacking kind - in French.)

Just sayin'.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 11:31AM

Canard or not, best use of bibles I've heard of in a while...:)

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 12, 2017 12:35PM

Jesus this man was an engineer?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.