Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 02:32PM

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2017/03/liberal-roots-islamophobia-170302152226572.html
Interesting Al Jazeera article condemning Bill Maher and Sam Harris as worse Islamophobes than Bannon.
Didnt read the whole thing, just curious what makes Maher/Harris NOT Islamaphobic and how is Anti-Mormonism different from Islamaphobia?
I have my own thoughts, but I am more curious about yours.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 02:35PM

The odds are that I'd get along fine with you in person, but your penchant for needing to weigh in on a certain spectrum of the religious continuum annoys me.

That's all. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Date: September 14, 2017 02:49PM

I guess we are even, your constant lack of anything constructive to add to the discussion annoys the hell out of me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 03:25PM by koriwhore.

Date: September 14, 2017 03:48PM

I liked it better when I annoyed the hell out of you!! Now people who saw your original rebuttal are going to think you weanied out!!

I respected your first response a whole lot more. It was honest and succinct and, frankly, on point. I'm only here to amuse (mostly me) and annoy!!

Date: September 14, 2017 03:51PM

You must have better forms of entertainment, right?

Date: September 14, 2017 04:11PM

I examined that question and pondered it and decided that my simplest response is that I am all the entertainment that I need. I'm always glad for additional entertainment, but I could do the Walton's Pond thing and be content.

RfM is bonus time.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 05:57PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I examined that question and pondered it and
> decided that my simplest response is that I am all
> the entertainment that I need. I'm always glad
> for additional entertainment, but I could do the
> Walton's Pond thing and be content.
>
> RfM is bonus time.

Walton's pond, as in Izaak's: nice!

Human, former fly-fisherman of the -net's many ponds

Date: September 14, 2017 06:03PM

No... I meant to type Walden's Pond, to express the notion that I could exist apart from the hum-drum daily intercourse with my fellow man, and felt benefited by this 'ability'. Silly notion, I know...

What's shocking about Izzak Walton's pond is that it did not allow him the joy of bass fishing, or so I'm told by people who chew tobacco and scratch themselves a lot. (That's a joke!)

Date: September 14, 2017 06:06PM

I figured you meant Henry David but the malaprop was too rich to ignore!

Cheers!

Date: September 14, 2017 06:48PM

Malaprop being such a valuable metal, any vein should be scrupulously mined!!!

Posted by: No name ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 03:07PM

Can we hear about the army of doomsday sex cult salesman again?

Date: September 14, 2017 03:26PM

It'd be nice if you had an intelligent point for once in your life.

Posted by: glassrose ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 03:43PM

Well, that escalated quickly.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 03:47PM

koriwhore Wrote:
> http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2017/03/l
> iberal-roots-islamophobia-170302152226572.html
> Interesting Al Jazeera article condemning Bill
> Maher and Sam Harris as worse Islamophobes than
> Bannon.

I guess that depends on your definition of "Islamophobe."

> Didnt read the whole thing, just curious what
> makes Maher/Harris NOT Islamaphobic and how is
> Anti-Mormonism different from Islamaphobia?
> I have my own thoughts, but I am more curious
> about yours.

Maher/Harris (and others) criticize the religion of Islam for its ignorance, superstition, misogyny, imposition of arbitrary rules, and written-into-scripture calls for violence.

Bannon wants to ban/kill all Muslims.

That's the difference.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 04:20PM

Maher and Harris are a bigger threat, because they will oppose superstition straight up. Muslim clerics are in the business of selling superstition. I'm sure they would rather have some of their flock bombed than lose the flock altogether. A fraud's gotta eat.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 05:43PM

(good,accurate comment)

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 04:31PM

Oh Kori you rabble-rowser you. I am not scared or fearful of Islam or its adherents. "Phobia" meaning scared or extremely fearful.

Most Muslims are a bunch of myth believing folk who just want to live their lives according to the dictates their mullahs conscience. However, there are a faction that take those beliefs and actually do harm to other people (kill, and blow them up).

Its the belief system that the GNU atheists, like me, want abolished. Beliefs inform our actions. False beliefs that lead people to do horrible things are best challenged, called out, and diminished. Its not phobic to want such stupidity eliminated. In fact its the only moral and ethical stance to hold.

Sit down dude... have a glass of wine, and turn of your whine. It gets really old.

Have a nice day.

HH =)

Date: September 14, 2017 05:30PM

ummmmm MORmONISM is essentially the moslem version of Christianity, ( with all of the infatuation with throat slashing and beheading brutality, see the book of MORmON and the pre 1990 MORmON temple ceremony) even as MORmONISM is NOT really Christianity at all, even as MORmONISM also hopes to take over the role of the Jews as God's chosen and most persecuted people as they can get away with it ......that is the crazy MORmON melding of Islam and Judaism.

yes, at times such a convoluted (all encompassing) approach ( to credit grabbing) can be confusing, especially to real MORmONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVqr0SgKTck

Date: September 14, 2017 05:54PM

The problem with Harris and Maher is the same problem with almost everybody: they believe evil is 'out there', in Nature or in others. They know not themselves, and demonstrate their know-nothingness every time they open their mouths in public. (Would they would refrain altogether, for the benefit of us all.)

Many RfMers suffer this same problem, acutely (including your truly.)

Book recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Human-Shadow/dp/0062548476

Human

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 05:56PM

love it.

Date: September 14, 2017 06:00PM

bona dea Wrote:
> love it.

Keep up the good fight, my dear good woman!

Date: September 14, 2017 06:11PM

I dont know about you, but I am a bit tired of the Islamophobia here. Muslims are people and most do not support terrorism and as I have said many times,THERE ARE ALSO POLITICAL REASONS FOR TERRORISM AS WELL AS ISLAMIC TERRORISM. Blaming it all on Islam is stupid.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 06:20PM

That's true. However Islam is a large and well distributed faith that has highly exploitable vague Doctrine making it an easy vehicle for abuse.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 07:44PM

And Mormonism doesn't cause people to go on missions.

Date: September 14, 2017 07:50PM

Maybe a class on the history of the Mid East would broaden your horizens.I guess colonialism,second class status, poverty, the Palestinian problem, hopelessness and on and on played no part. Yup, it all about religion.

Posted by: The new part ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 11:46PM

there is what is taught in class rooms and there is the truth.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 09:45PM

Bona dea I think all of those issues are exploited by factions of Islam. The basic power vacuum of the structure of Islam makes any claim as valid as the next. There is no central authority or point of appeal. All that matters is attracting enough followers.

Date: September 14, 2017 08:33PM

Harris and Maher constantly actively condemn religion based superstition, religion based idiocy, religion based violence.

Hundreds, if not thousands of Islamic Imams constantly actively reinforce the concepts of (their) religion based superstition, religion based idiocy, and adamantly endorse, advocate, and promote violence in the name of their religion.

In the mean time, certain people are very upset with Harris and Maher, and they adamantly condemn them .....for being mixed up and being a detriment to society.

Date: September 15, 2017 12:06AM

I have the Little Book of the Human Shadow and I disagree with your point, Human. Robert Bly is not religious, other than pagan. The book is a refutation of religious people who deny their shadows in a cloud of righteousness. Maher has a long shadow and he admits it. Harris hasn't claimed to be righteous. Their opponents have made such claims. Devout Muslims and Mormons have no shadow, just ask them. The put their shadows on the devil.

The human shadow is real and irreligious. Shadow deniers are awful people.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 05:14PM by donbagley.

Date: September 15, 2017 12:47AM

Hi don-

Like Bly's book, my post has nothing to do with religion.

Date: September 15, 2017 05:24PM

Really I'm disagreeing with your assessment of those two as people who project evil. They don't hold a candle to religious folks when it comes to projecting evil. They do oppose religion, as do I. I have as much capacity for evil as any man. And no more than any man. Religion proposes to fix that through salvation. It's a fraud. One of the things humans do best is cheating one another for an edge. They charge you to absolve sin.

For the record, I do believe that England and the USA are to blame for the Middle East violence and terror. Some corrupt Imams are taking advantage by telling young men to blow themselves up. Corrupt Westerners convince their young men to go over there and shoot and bomb civilians. Religion is throwing gasoline on that fire, when it should be doing the opposite if it's about peace like they say.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 08:38PM

I take that as seriously as I would take a Deseret news article about the liberal roots of anti-Mormonism.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 10:36PM

Any people that believe that their religious laws are more valid than the laws of the land should be feared and not trusted. All theocracies should be feared and not trusted. In a Western democracy with heavy christian influences going back hundreds of years, you can safely assume that the native population will adhere mostly to christian values which are predictable, not because the people are all religious, but because they were raised with that culture's christian values in general as a culture, not so much as a religion. You can't safely assume the same from someone who was raised in a muslim theocray. They might believe it is okay to kill you for breaking some rule they believe in that you don't know about or believe in yourself. I don't think this is a liberal or a conservative issue. It's a political issue that far supercedes American partison politics. The bad guys want to kill infidels. They don't care if the infidels are liberals or if they are conservatives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 10:44PM by azsteve.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 11:28PM

Especially when they have a holy book that tells them to kill all infidels.

Islam is NOT a religion of peace.

It says right in the 6th Sureh of the Quoran to KILL ALL INFIDELS.

Date: September 15, 2017 12:09AM

And other places say the opposite. There are mixed messages just as there are in the Bible. Besides that scripture cannot account for terrorism since Christians, Jews and other Muslims are the main victims of Islamic terrorism and none of them are considered infidels. All are Peolople of the Book and are supposed to be respected. That is also in the Qur'an.

Date: September 15, 2017 12:14AM

Why doesn't it occur to you that all scripture is crap?

Date: September 15, 2017 12:16AM

Because it isnt to people who believe which is the point here and because some scripture is great literature and has profound thought. Some doesnt.Too bad you cant see that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 12:18AM by bona dea.

Date: September 15, 2017 01:19AM

I recognize the literary merits of certain sections of Psalms, for instance. Using these ancient writings as a life guide is wrong. It's violently and oppressively wrong. The calls to rally the swords are evil. The calls to judgment are unfair. The restrictions on civil rights are perverse and primitive. Tribalism is not progress.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 01:20AM by donbagley.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 12:14AM

Elyse Wrote:
> Especially when they have a holy book that tells
> them to kill all infidels.
>
> Islam is NOT a religion of peace.
>
> It says right in the 6th Sureh of the Quoran to
> KILL ALL INFIDELS.

If you Google the phrase "kill all infidels," you will discover (from a plenitude of different sources) that this is
not true.

The Koran is talking about idolaters, not non-Muslims in general.

The supposed "kill all infidels" phrase does not exist.

It is the same as taking similar phrases from the Bible and proclaiming (for your own purposes) that they are general rules, and should be applied to contemporary life. If they ever did apply (during Canaanite times, Babylonian times, Roman times, etc.), they do not apply now (though people who are anti-Jewish frequently make the claim that Jews have similar religious obligations to perform various kinds of atrocities).

In the case of "kill the infidels," evidently this was never in the Koran at all, and at best, it is a seemingly purposeful mistranslation made to support anti-Muslim agendas.

P.S. India is a country where Hindus (who are, by most usual definitions, idolaters) and Muslims are co-nationals, as well as village and town neighbors to each other. The Indian (and surrounding areas) conflicts between Hindu groups and Muslim groups, when they exist, are usually about existing local disputes of different social and practical kinds, but even when such disputes exist, devout Indian Muslims do not go around India (etc.) killing their fellow co-nationals who are Hindus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 12:17AM by Tevai.

Date: September 15, 2017 12:17AM

Thank you, Tevai. The misinformation and Islamophobia is really getting on my last nerve.

Date: September 15, 2017 12:23AM

bona dea Wrote:
> Thank you, Tevai. The misinformation and
> Islamophobia is really getting on my last nerve.

Mine, too.

In American terms, we have been here before, guys. We, as a people, are better than this.

There is no reason for we, the American people, to return to what were, for so many of us and our fellow Americans, the "bad old days."

Honest.

Posted by: The Voice of Reason ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 12:44AM

Stop Pretending That Orthodox Islam and Violence Aren't Linked.

http://time.com/4930742/islam-terrorism-islamophobia-violence/

Posted by: Wok ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 01:04AM

What's the difference between a radical Muslim and a moderate Muslim?
The radical Muslim wants to kill you
The moderate Muslim wants the radical Muslim to kill you.

Date: September 15, 2017 01:24AM

Wok Wrote:
> What's the difference between a radical Muslim and
> a moderate Muslim?
> The radical Muslim wants to kill you
> The moderate Muslim wants the radical Muslim to
> kill you.

I live in an area where there are many Muslims, in Southern California...where Muslims are an everyday part of everyone's daily lives...

...in our schools, in our stores and restaurants, in the offices of our medical professionals, at our places of work, walking on our sidewalks, or driving and parking beside us, at the gyms, and standing in line with us at theatres and at Disneyland and at the Auto Club and when we are voting, and living next door to us and across the street from us, and this is just not true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 01:25AM by Tevai.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 08:30AM

If we're not going to buy-in to an American made cult that has been known to issue death threats as a part of their official ceremonies, why would we ever accept any foreign religious organization that has actually been know to commit murders in the name of their god? There are good mormons who would never believe that their loved ones actually took part in blood oaths in the mormon temple. I am sure that there are good muslims too. But the religion itself has never been domesticated (think wolf, compared to your household pet). It's dangerous. It might turn on you. It doesn't necessarily believe that the laws of the land should always prevail (lack of respect for lawful authority). Even if they do obey the law, they're no better than the mormons. They want to spread their beliefs and control over your life the way the mormon church wants to do. Reasonable people should at least fear that. Fear and rejection of mormonism is a good thing here on this board. To hell with political correctness. Islamaphobia is also a good thing. Side Note: even if you fear and reject someone elses beliefs, all individuals should be treated with fairness and respect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 08:33AM by azsteve.

Date: September 15, 2017 11:02AM

Hopefully this will open some eyes. The whole thing is excellent.

"Taking the life of those who abandon Islam is most widely supported in Egypt (86%) and Jordan (82%). Roughly two-thirds who want sharia to be the law of the land also back this penalty in the Palestinian territories (66%). In the other countries surveyed in the Middle East-North Africa region, fewer than half take this view."

Wow. That is so messed up.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 12:57PM

Bill Maher and Sam Harris were debating Islamophobia with Ben Affleck (because he's such an intellectual). Ben Affleck kept playing the race/bigot card, because he thinks there's no legitimate reason to criticize Islam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vln9D81eO60

So now Bill Maher and Sam Harris are known as Islamophobes.

What Sam Harris says to start the clip, "liberals are real good at criticizing white theocracy" but they have absolutely failed us at criticizing theocracy when Muslims do it.

I defend Muslims on Twitter and Facebook as often as it comes up, because otherwise it starts to sound like some Americans are considering some kind of ethnic cleansing. This morning Twitler went on another rant about needing to broaden the Muslim ban in response to a terrorist attack in London.

The political issues surrounding Muslims in 2017 are complex. America (ideally) does not discriminate on the basis of faith or the lack of it. But freedom of speech is also one our ideals. If it was a hate crime to criticize Mormonism, I would flip out. Church and state are separate. The state should not be enforcing blasphemy laws for any one religion. They are all fair game for criticism. But if anyone was advocating violence or some kind of human rights violation, then I take the side of the oppressed. Mormons constantly claim the right to hate the sin without hating the sinner. I claim the right to despise your beliefs without wishing any harm on you or your rights. For democracy to work, we have to be free to criticize ideas.

Criticism of Mormonism and criticism of Islam can both descend to a place of bigotry that dehumanizes people of those faiths. We should be careful not to do that. But to not criticize them at all and to allow them to implement whatever law or policy they want from their bubble of ignorance without a fuss is to be complicit in their theocratic tendencies and to have a hand in hurting whoever they hurt. I believe in human rights.

Date: September 15, 2017 01:17PM

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/08/09/muslims-and-islam-key-findings-in-the-u-s-and-around-the-world/

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/

They're human, and most of them mind their business and live in peace. But Islam is ultraconservative on the whole with a higher propensity for radicalization than other groups. That's cause for concern, but treating them like dirt and denying citizens the same rights we give other citizens, believe whatever they may, drives radicalism more than anything else.

But America also has to take some responsibility for never leaving the Middle East alone. ISIS was created in a power vacuum that we created. We also helped empower the dictators we later overthrew. We helped draw the borders of the Middle East after WWI with little concern for local history or distribution of ethnic groups. There have been more liberal versions of Islam that led peaceful pluralistic societies. We don't see many of those today, because... many of the reasons I just said. Take a look at how America has enabled Wahabbiism in Saudi Arabia.

Date: September 15, 2017 01:25PM

Date: September 15, 2017 01:06PM

Excellent post Cold-Dodger.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 01:22PM

Hey, I just want to pile on.

Is there a fine line between hating someone without reason and having a legitimate reason? Is there a scale of hate that escalates with the legitimacy?

It seems to me that the issue here is a core belief that believing in something that you think is right makes you better than someone who doesn't believe that thing. Because while it makes sense that legitimate reasons would exist for the hate, the reality is that the hater gets to decide on the legitimacy.

The belief that some (could be many) Mormons and Muslims hold, that their faith makes them better than everyone else is the kindling that starts the fire. Is it a justifiable fear that there remain groups that actively preach moral superiority? I think so. Just look at what that moral superiority has accomplished.

Date: September 15, 2017 01:39PM

I'm sure the Nazis believed what they were doing was absolutely justified. The Jews and other groups were subhuman, guilty of crimes so egregious they didn't deserve to live. Or, that's what Hitler had Nazi Germany believing. Has anyone every carried out an act of terrorism or a hate crime while believing their cause was unjust or that there was no legitimate reason to do it?

I don't think it's just a religious thing to believe in moral superiority. It's a human thing. It's a conclusion we naturally arrive at all the time in a million different ways. Critical and scientific thinking are so important.

I hate the empty-headed multiculturalism of the far left just as much as I hate the ignorant moral supremacy of the far right. Some ideas are better than others, but not if they can't articulate the opposing view point first because that means they don't even know what ideas they are claiming to be superior to.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 02:49PM

Bill Maher and Sam Harris are political liberals, well known for criticizing religion, particularly Islam. As pointed out by others, it is not Islamophobia to criticize the doctrine, teachings, practices, scripture or culture of Islam, or any other religion, even if such criticism is severe. Moreover, it is not Islamophobia to express concern about the possible effects of Islam taking root in society and culture, or worse becoming dominant. "Phobia" is an irrational, emotionally based fear, not a concern or even fear that is based upon facts and evidence, reasonably articulated; even if the stated facts and evidence turn out to be wrong. That is why we argue such points.

Maher and Harris have both not only criticized Islam, but criticized the pervasive liberal attitude of intellectual tolerance and support of Islam. For example, Islam is famously discriminatory against women, with sometimes brutal practices suppressing their freedom and imposing ritualistic type abuse. This is in contravention to well-defined liberal values that in other contexts the liberal "establishment" decries forcefully, emotionally, and without the slightest tolerance. Maher and Harris ask why this distinction?

I agree with Maher and Harris on this issue, and will explain what I think (and others think) is behind this seeming inconsistency of liberalism. For the past several decades, American universities, particularly the Humanities, have been swept away by post-Modernist thinking; the idea that there is no objective truth, and that each person's subjective "truth" is as good as any other person's "truth," particularly in matters of religion. This attitude creates the liberal tolerance toward religion and religious ideas that is prevalent in liberalism generally. It is NOT the love of freedom that underlies such inclusiveness, as some have suggested. It is the failure to recognize that some ideas, e.g. some Mormon ideas, are just false, regardless of whether such ideas "work" in some subjective, psychological context. Moreover, that such ideas are not only false but dangerous.

Now, there is a softer form of post-Modern thinking that is prevalent in liberalism, and which regularly surfaces on the Board. This is the view that although there are religious myths, i.e. religious falsehoods, such myths nonetheless have "value" to a believer which value is "objective" in some sense and should be preserved if not encouraged. On this view, Islam may be based upon acknowledged false facts, but the underlying "faith" in such facts is positive for the believer, and in this sense "true" for that person. What you get is the objectification of the subjective! Once you take that position, it is difficult to criticize faith or religion on its own terms; i.e. as a cultural phenomenon that has consequences over and above the fact that some people may find "truth" in it. The "truth" found by the practicing individual somehow makes the religion itself true in some sense. You will notice that such people continually search for and emphasize the "good" while minimizing the negative effects, and resulting abuses, of the religion at large.

Note, that both brands of post-Modernism are anti-science, after the tradition of Paul Feyerabend. Science is too objective on this view, and scientific facts are too restrictive. Humanism becomes the replacement for science in the sense that subjective human needs and aspirations trump arguments based upon appeal to scientific truth.

Comments by posters Human and bona dea, and others, not just in this post, but in general, seem to me to echo this soft post-Modern view, making them, to my mind, too Islam-friendly. I find post-Modernism, in all of its forms, intellectually lazy, and too morally relative. In short, religions, such as Islam and Mormonism, have doctrines, impose beliefs and practices based upon those doctrines, and have metaphysical commitments that not only dictate their own culture, but spill over into culture at large. It is fine with me that some woman somewhere wants to put on her burka and kneel toward Mecca three times a day in prayer. But the underlying doctrines of such practices are false, and should be called out as false; just as the BoM should be called out as false. Moreover, we should not humbly acquiesce that the "spiritual fulfillment" being achieved is somehow divorced from the false beliefs that instantiate it; and is thus neutral in its global effects.

The above said, I certainly understand that the genuine liberal commitment to freedom dictates that religious behavior be tolerated, falsehoods or not. But, we do not have to take such tolerance to the level of assigning objective truth to such practices, directly or indirectly, and then tolerating real abuses that result from such faith. Moreover, as Maher and Harris point out, we need to call out Islam for what it is, as a false religion, and not be shy because our neighbor with the burka is so nice and innocent, and . . . so "spiritual."

Date: September 15, 2017 06:11PM

BS. It makes us educated and tolerant as opposed to knee jerk Islamophobics.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 04:21PM

instead of human beings just like you.

I have known, befriended, and worked with several Muslims from south Asia, Indonesia, north Africa, America and Europe. They come in every race, colour, and nationality.

They are no different than you.

Some are religious. Some are not. Some are cultural Muslims. Some are observant, some not. Their political and social opinions are on a wide spectrum just like people all over the world. They argue about what is and what is not "Islamic" just as you argue about things.

Is every American a gang member or daughter raping backwoods trash hick? No, and the same goes for people in Islamic countries. Do they have political and social problems? Of course. Do they argue about the role of religion? Yes, just as you do. Few countries in the world are western democracies and you can't expect them to act as such. They all have varying degrees of democracy and the rule of law -- just as other nations around the world.

So, if it makes your feel better you can pretend that all Muslims are terrorists so you can justify your "crusade" against Islam.

The thing is this is exactly what the terrorists tell their followers -- that all Jews and "Romans" (i.e. the West) want to kill them and destroy their culture.

Your hatred and intolerance only serves their cause.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 04:36PM

I think this thread ha s been measured and thoughtful. Do you?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 04:52PM

and has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative.

I'll leave you with another disturbing dichotomy.

Did your realise that many Nazis were good fathers and family men?

Rudolf Hoess, the commandant of Auschwitz, was a devoted husband and father who tried spend as much time as he could with his wife and children.

He also happened to be a career SS officer whose job was the extermination of human beings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyLVZg2xUSI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 05:11PM by anybody.

Date: September 15, 2017 06:12PM

Exactly. I wonder how many of the Muslim bashers even know any Muslims.This was in answer to anybody

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 06:15PM by bona dea.

Date: September 15, 2017 05:58PM

Considering there are 3.35 Million Muslims in America, 78% of whom say suicide Bombing is never justified, that leaves 737,000 (22% of) US Muslims who believe suicide Bombing isn't always unjustified.

http://www.pewforum.org/2009/12/17/little-support-for-terrorism-among-muslim-americans/

12% of US Muslims say terrorist acts are sometimes or often justified. That's 402,000 Americans who have no problem with Muslims killing innocent fellow Americans.

http://www.pewforum.org/2017/07/26/terrorism-and-concerns-about-extremism/

I'm with Bill Maher and Sam Harris.
The reason Republicans are in power is because Democrats have no good solution to Muslim extremism or NK nuclear ambitions. Maintaining the status quo isn't a viable option.

Date: September 15, 2017 06:00PM

Yes many humans are programmable robots. Wake up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.