Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 08:27PM

In their neck or in their back? If so was it successful? And was it worth it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 09:01PM

I had a lumbar fusion four years ago. I had trouble with it because of diabetes.It was worth it because I had a slipped disk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 09:01PM by Aquarius123.

Date: September 14, 2017 09:28PM

Did it alleviate pain?

Posted by: Nole Girl ( )
Date: September 14, 2017 09:23PM

I have always been stiff and about ten years ago found that I have severe congenital stenosis. I had a three vertabrae spinal fusion and almost instantly went from having to hold onto walls to get to the bathroom to schlepping around Portugal and Spain four months later. The intense and constant pain was instantly relieved. I may have to have a tuneup but the result is overwhelmingly positive.

Date: September 14, 2017 09:27PM

Alright that is great to hear because i might just do the fusion route for a herniated disc and was just wondering if it worked or not.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 01:49PM

My sister has had two lumbar fusions, the first didn't help, the second made it even worse. She had nerve damage in her leg, and constant pain.

In doing research on fusions, it seems about 60% have some improvement, 40% do worse after surgery. It is a gamble, but depending on how bad you are, who does your surgery, and your rehab compliance, it all makes a difference. The bottom line: don't rush into it.

Date: September 15, 2017 01:55PM

Gosh dangit i am rushing because i am hurting but i know its probably riskier to do a fusion than a disk replacement.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 01:51PM

Badass, I've had spinal epidurals for a couple of lower back disks. They don't work for everyone, but they helped me a lot. Have you tried them? Boner.

Date: September 15, 2017 01:56PM

Yea i tried one and it gave me relief for only a few weeks.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 01:48PM

I've been getting an epidural for stenosis in my lumbar spine (stenosis on L3,4 &5) every 4 months for the last 10 years. I get about 3 months of relief but that varies with how careful I am and how much stress I put on my back. I've lost some weight in those 10 years too and that has been a big plus in lessening the pain level. Still can't stand for more that 10 minutes without support, though. Been no discussion about surgery...yet. There are some new minimally invasive surgeries available in the US and Europe but some neurosurgeons warn against it so I have not pursued it beyond talking to an intake nurse in Dallas about it and finding out it would cost me at least US$40K so I didn't take it any further.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 01:57PM

I've had 4 lumbar surgeries on the same disk. Normally, they want to fuse you after the second one. My doctor told me I was too young and healthy (I was 40 when it started) and didn't want to see me with a piece of rebar bolted into my spine. He really thought that would compromise my life and mobility. I agreed.

So he kept doing the laminectomies. Its been 13 years since my last surgery and I have no pain and full mobility. I feel a little stiff now and then, but that could just be getting older. I don't do full contact sports or activities that could break something anymore, but again, that comes with age too. Otherwise I lead a very active life, exercise, and feel very good.

If fusion is the only thing that will work, you may be stuck with it, but if you can avoid it, you might be as good or better off, so you might need seek out other medical opinions.

Date: September 15, 2017 02:04PM

Well i am trying to avoid the fusion because i am only 34 years old but the doctor keeps pushing not to even wanting to do a disk replacement and i am losing patience. So i feel like i could go to this other doctor and just get a fusion done and get it over with if it actually works.

Date: September 15, 2017 03:00PM

Look into the disk replacement. In 2004 I had my 4th and last surgery. The doctor told me if I could avoid rupturing again and last 6 months, I could get a replacement disk that was approved in Europe and was pending approval in the US.

13 years has passed since then so I would think they have replacements down by now. don't rush into a fusion thinking it will be the fix and make everything OK. I woman I worked with had a fusion and she walked like she had a piece of rebar shoved up her backside....literally could not bend and had a lot of pain and stiffness. The fusion also stresses to adjacent disks, making them prone to rupturing.

What is your issue? A herniated disk? where? neck, low back, etc?

Date: September 15, 2017 03:04PM

Herniated disc in the low neck at c6/c7. I am afraid of loss of mobility as well.

Date: September 15, 2017 05:19PM

Well, a neck may be different....mine was L4-L5. But check on a disk replacement, laminectomy, anything....before you fuse it.

Google "spinal fusion pics" and have a look. If you don't truly need all the hardware, don't get it.

Best of luck, I know how painful it can be.

Date: September 15, 2017 11:27PM

I was told a fusion in the neck is more successful then in the low back because of less pressure or weight but i dont know if thats true. I just dont want to end up not being able to turn my head to the left or the right like frankenstein or something.

Posted by: Anon 2 ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 11:43AM

I got a fusion because my vertebrae at L5S1 were broken. They have disc replacement, laminectomies are a totally different beast. I had been working mine with pt and such and when I first saw my back doctor he said nothing would have worked and this type of fracture is common.
However, if you have a good surgeon they will always do shots and stuff if it will work, laminectomy, fusion, and all the other surgeries but what he wont do is surgery when it can be handled by massage, etc.

Date: September 16, 2017 11:52AM

Yea my doctor is trying everything before he decides to do a disk replacement but i am losing patience, we just got done doing facet injections but i dont think they are the problem but the injections helped for about two hours. I do know i can get a fusion done from another doctor in the next couple weeks so its been hard to decide what i want to do.

Date: September 17, 2017 08:32PM

Its called the Da Vinci robotics. Yes, it is better to do everything first because the insurance wont want to cover it if you dont but to also have complete confidence in the doctor you choose for a fusion. A big problem happens when they have to go in to repair using the same scar tissue for the incision. The doctor should be able to show you where, when, why and how you need the surgery.
And give yourself time to heal after the surgery. Take things real slow.

Date: September 18, 2017 12:03AM

Alright i do want to get some more intimate details about the fusion procedure before i decide anything for sure.

Date: September 15, 2017 02:10PM

Adam, have you gotten other opinions? Have you checked with a couple neurologists and orthopedic surgeons?

I've heard mostly good about fusings. I very sorry you're having to consider this. Please keep us posted. Here's a very gentle hug, the Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 02:11PM by BYU Boner.

Date: September 15, 2017 02:20PM

Haha i am going to get another opinion from a doctor i have seen before that only does fusions and see what he says. I feel like i have to hurry because i am running out of money and only my mom is willing to help me out right now so i feel like i have to repair my body and get out of pain as fast as possible. The mormon church really messed me up boner in a lot of ways and i feel like i am literally fighting for my freedom mentally and physically.

Date: September 15, 2017 02:32PM

Badass, I think you're approaching this in the right manner. Get lots of info and go with the best plan your doctors suggest.

I love you, Badass, I want the very best for you. Disk pain is awful. You're are not messed up mentally or emotionally. Fuck the Morg! Once your physical pain is alleviated, you'll be in better position to heal from the emotional abuse the cult gave you. Here's to you Badass Adam--a strong man who's healing and kicking the cult out of his life!

Date: September 15, 2017 02:44PM

Thanks boner that cult is as much of a plague and hinderence as my physical pain if not more so. They always made me feel like i am supposed to suffer in life and that there is something wrong with me. But there is not a damn thing wrong with me other than physical pain and their bullshit beliefs that they pushed onto my mind. Its been a year and i am still not out of the sh#t they put me in mentally. Its like i am coming out of a strange world into the actual world even now its a trip. You guys on here help me more than my counselors and meds for christs sake. Its like i am holding onto the real iron rod hahaha how did you like that one?

Date: September 15, 2017 06:59PM

Badass, thanks for trusting me by sharing some of the hurt. I'll continue to support you and encourage you by sending bad language, hugs, laughs, and hope for recovery. Each one of our recoveries was different. Although I'm recovered from my stint in Mormonism, I enjoy friends like you on RfM.

Date: September 15, 2017 10:55PM

How long did it take for you to recover boner?

Date: September 16, 2017 01:44PM

For me, a couple of years--mostly me definng my authentic me. My marriage is still a work in progress. My wife is a very talented, smart, and funny woman. Mormonism puts pressure on her to develop a judgmental, serious, and self-depreciating persona. Although she can't see it, it makes her feel unworthy and brings her unhappiness to constantly try to be something she is not.

I do not believe a divorce is in my family's best interests, it's complicated. Yes, the Morg TRIES to fuck with me though my family members. BUT, I choose to not give the cult any power over me. Adam, I think you see the pattern, they can try to fuck you over, but you don't have to okay their game.

Define the real Badass (a quality wanker whom I love as a brother), determine how you'll lead your life, and then you'll see the Mormon efforts for what they really are--a group of very unhappy people trying to pull others down to their level--misery lives company as the saying goes.

Big hugs, happy wanks, healing, health, happiness, loud cusses, and, long farts be for you! Your buddy, The Boner.

Date: September 16, 2017 02:16PM

I definitely see the pattern way more than i used to. They forced me to get smart and wise up against them. Staying away is definitely the key to success or atleast a big part of it, i feel like if i go another year i will be doing pretty dang good. I might feel like a real anfd normal person in society who would of thought. I always have to remember that as long as they are alive they will keep trying.i may be in pain but i have definitely been worse.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 05:02PM

Getting another opinion wouldn't hurt. I always say that when in doubt, find the best physician or surgeon that you can at a teaching hospital (a hospital that is attached to a medical school.)

Also bear in mind that medical advances can happen quickly. You could do a disk replacement now, and put off any further surgery. In ten years, things could be completely different and new, more effective treatments could be available.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 08:42PM

I had an L5-S1 fusion in April. My condition is spondylolithesis--slippage of L5 on S1 and spinal stenosis (I'm 58). I am quite pleased with the result. I still have some episodic radicular neuropathic pain but it is not incapacitating.

Date: September 15, 2017 08:50PM

Ok thats good to hear the more positive stories i hear the better i think.

Posted by: Physical therapist ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 10:51PM

Have you tried Physical Therapy? You would need a PT with expertise in back pain. Sometimes exercises can help. Certain movements can change the hydrostatic pressure in a disk and "suck it back into place". Sometimes strengthening core muscles help. There is no downside to trying the conservative first. Altering the mechanics of the spine permanently should always be a last resort. Elective back surgeries are successful about 50% of the time (some procedures more or less successful).
Best of luck!!

Date: September 15, 2017 10:54PM

Physical therapy does nothing for this issue.

Posted by: Physical therapist ( )
Date: September 15, 2017 11:23PM

24 years of practice tells me otherwise! I've seen plenty of herniated disks in cervical, thoracic and lumbar spines that respond to exercises. Some don't and sometimes surgery is necessary. I still recommend trying it, if you haven't. Like I said, no downside and the surgery will always be there.

Date: September 15, 2017 11:31PM

Well from what i have tried physical therapy hasnt worked for whatever reason, either the disk is too far out or maybe the facet joints are contributing like the doctor thinks may be happening as well.

Date: September 16, 2017 11:35AM

Yes ive had a fusion and it was great! You have to get the small incisions and they use a robotic arm on it.
When you wake up, its normal to be nauseous from the anesthesia but on my second day, they had me walking around with a walker.
I did a full month of research. People who were recommended to me were being sued for medical malpractice. The one I chose was from Harvard and was a top orthopedic surgeon. No malpractice suits ever and there was a 2 month wait time to do consult because people were literally grabbing their files and flying in for him to do their backs.
Does this help? It was an L5S1 fusion.

Date: September 16, 2017 11:54AM

Yes this helps a lot.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 02:52PM

I have not had a fusion. I have had two extremely painful HNP's (herniated discs) over the last 20 years. I am sure that you already know this, but an HNP will heal on it's own through reabsorption of the disc material. It has the consistency of tooth paste and eventually goes away on it's own. It takes 3-6 months. I was able to tolerate the pain for 3-6 months and both healed. I lost weight and now exercise twice per day, with heavy weight lifting - about 2 hours per day. Best shape of my life in my 50's. The key is whether the disc is impinging on a nerve so much so that you could have permanent neurological problems (e.g. drop foot, etc). If the radiculopathy isn't too severe and you are not in danger of something like "drop foot" - consider waiting it out. You would be surprised. Surgery isn't always the answer. Just sayin'.

Date: September 16, 2017 02:58PM

Alright i am not sure what else to do because its hitting the nerve and hurts like hell like i am getting stabbed almost.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 03:12PM

Both times I was probably in 6-7/10 pain for a month, and the pain intensity gradually reduced. So really two reasons why someone would have to opt for surgery:
1) Pain is intolerable and/or
2) Impinging on a nerve that will eventuate into a neurological problem such as drop foot. Just depends on which nerve root is impinged.

Date: September 16, 2017 03:16PM

Pain is like at a 7 now and it is cold outside which makes it worse. I think the nerve being hit goes to the shoulders and arms.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 09:07AM

Neuropathic pain is the worst type of pain I've ever experienced. There is the shooting, burning pain and then there is the numbness and tingling which is sometimes worse. Prior to my surgery I could not stand for 5 minutes. I had to arrange seating for my speaking engagements and needed a wheelchair to get around the airport.

Afterwards I have some resumption of the pain but it is nothing like it was. I participated in a 5 K walk earlier this month and I can deliver two hour presentations standing with ease.

I had a minimally invasive procedure so I just have three small incision sites--no drains post-op. I was in the hospital two days.

A word with regards to malpractice suits--there are a lot of dynamics that go into the generation of a suit. One is patient selection. Surgeons who take the most complicated situations have a higher risk which is one dynamic that can result in a suit. What it all boils down to is you will need to use imperfect criteria. I asked multiple people I work with who was a good orthopedic spine surgeon, including my physician colleagues but most importantly, nurses who worked with the surgeon at the hospital. Hospital nurses know who the good surgeons are. In my initial consultation the surgeon spent two hours with me going over everything I wanted to know and emphasized that I did not have to make any commitments right then--although I scheduled surgery that very day.

Prior to my operation I had two injections, six months of physical therapy and took gabapentin (which helped somewhat). I still take gabapentin (at a fairly average dose 1800 mg/day) but that is all I take. After surgery the nerve can be fairly irritated because there is a significant degree of manipulation during surgery. It takes a while to settle down.

This was longer than I planned. I know that everyone has not been as fortunate as me. I take care of patients who don't have the optimal outcomes. I only offer my experience as an 'n' of 1.

Date: September 17, 2017 12:45PM

Nerve pain can be hell on earth if it cant be controlled or contained i definitely feel for anybody that battles this like i do. It makes sense to me that a bulging disk hitting the nerve is causing the pain so i think its a safe bet to try then not to try.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 09:05PM

I have a L5 HD and a lot of pain. I'm not a candidate for surgery so I do other things like PT, putting heat packs on, stretching exercises, eat healthy food, have a comfortable mattress, and walk about 3 to 5 miles a day. I don't sit for long periods of time and watch my posture. Managing stress is a daily challenge because I take care of my 94 year old mother who has advanced stages of dementia. Organizing physical tasks so they don't strain my back helps. Seeking peace and happiness helps to heal from the trauma of the cult. Getting massages helps for a day. Managing pain, physical, emotional or spiritual is a lifetime process. Take things slow. You are strong & smart & will work it out.

Date: September 18, 2017 12:11AM

Thanks unbelievable2 you walking 3 to 5 miles a day is inspiring as hell. I could never do that now but maybe down the road. Healing from everything is a process and i know it will take more time and i know there is probably nothing i can really do to speed things up and i have to remember that. I am healing from trauma as well as having physical pain and i have to remember that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.