Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 09:57PM

What would your worst Hell be like?

Mine would be starting over and living the same childhood with the same father and the same religion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 10:02PM

Yes Yes me too. I still fear my father to this day man and i am 34 years old and i am still a scared kid inside he lives across the street and i still think he is going to bust through the door angry coming home from work. And i have been doing counseling for quite a while now and i still fear my father and the church i got messed with big time.

Posted by: AnonInCali ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 10:44PM

MOVE! Seriously, give yourself the gift of not having to,see him coming home from work again.

Date: September 16, 2017 11:37PM

He will just follow me i lived here first, i have been moving my whole life i have to learn to stand my ground.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 08:11PM

Badass,

I have a 4 bedroom house. You can come here and stay. I only use one BR. I don't use any of the upstairs. Then you won't have to see your dad come home.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 08:13PM

I can send you a little traveling money...

Date: September 17, 2017 11:36PM

I dont think i am ready to move i want to get a neck surgery atleast first and i really like living alone i think maybe? I have lived alone three years and i think its a reason that i have progressed. No authority figure that thinks he is above me in the same house i think is important for my healing. And i have a really good counselor here and a good neighbor. I dont know i have lived in quite a few states for work so i am used to different environments, what state are you in?

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: September 19, 2017 12:33AM

Insane or crazy, not for sure...

Date: September 16, 2017 10:04PM

I feel for you don, i can still feel my past. Its like a part of me got left back there and i guess its ptsd.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 10:10PM

I think I can say that my worst hell was sitting on a train as it pulled out of the station in Salt Lake City and watching my family wave goodby to me as I left on a mission. I had no idea what was coming, but I knew I didn't like it and the next 24 months proved to be the worst thing I ever experienced. So, my Worst Hell would be reliving those 24 months straight out of the anals of time.

Date: September 16, 2017 10:28PM

I have always wondered what my life would have been like if i had done the whole mission thing. If i would have got respected more and more women would have wanted me, that kind of thing. If i would have had more self worth or self esteem. I used to kick myself about it all the time but this board has made me realize that i may have made the right decision.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 04:21PM

You're damn straight you made the right decision. A mission would have accomplished none of the things that you just described.

The church propaganda machine would have you believe that serving a mission will make you a chick magnet and set you on the pathway of success in life.

Like pretty much everything else the cult promises, this is total bullshit.

Date: September 17, 2017 04:51PM

Well i guess this makes me feel better but they really tried to make me feel like garbage for not going for a very long time and it sucked to say the least. To be labeled as the f#ck up from an entire family really crucified me.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 10:35PM

Mine would have started with going on a mission and then being coerced into marrying a Mormon girl.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 16, 2017 11:24PM

I told my mother I would NOT ALLOW MYSELF to go through that ever again. And I won't.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 12:33AM

My best friend told me, early in our friendship, that her father had hated her from the day she was born, because he resented having to share his wife's attention with his daughter.

One of the things that helped us bond as friends was that my mother - alcoholic, super-strict, and unloving - was just as horrible as her father.

She was the first person I called after my father died. The funeral home people hadn't even arrived yet. She said, "OMG. Your life will never be the same, without him around to keep your mother under control." She was right.

One time, before I was old enough to go away to college, my mother was drunk and being even more hateful than usual, for no reason I could discern. I came right out and said what I was thinking: "You hate me, because Daddy died but I didn't." She snarled back, "You're d@mned right I do!" She tried to take a swing at my face, but it was easy to duck.

At least, I understood how things really were. My best friend had been right, all along.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 02:17PM

How awful, catnip! I'm so sorry.

I had to reply, because something similar happened to me, and I thought I was the only one. My TBM RS President mother had a mean streak, and I suspect she might have been bi-polar. She used to threaten me, and damn me to Hell. If I didn't do things just right, she would say things like, "No man will ever want to marry you, unless you learn to keep your closet neat!"

I tried very hard to be an obedient Mormon, and please my parents--graduated from BYU, dated only Mormon boys, married a RM in the temple. When he beat me, I divorced him, and started a good career, put myself through grad school, married an old BYU boyfriend, had sweet, happy, loving children, etc. My mother's histrionics and criticisms continued throughout. I didn't leave the cult, until after she died.

My father was diagnosed with cancer, and when she told me, she was crying, and she said, "If I could choose, I would rather have you die, than have your father die."

Why did she have to say such a cruel thing?

Congratulations, catnip, for standing up to your mother!

During another of her tirades, I did say, "My life hasn't turned out to be perfect, but one thing I can say for myself, is that I am kinder than you. I would NEVER say such cruel things to my daughters."

Hell for us would be going back to living in our childhood home. The cult in full charge. My bully brother beating and torturing me, and getting away with it. Bad stomach aches every night. Early morning seminary. My self esteem destroyed.

Date: September 17, 2017 10:16PM

I wasn't raised Mormon, so there wasn't the ongoing drumbeat about marriage-marriage-marriage that Mormon girls apparently endure.

In fact, my mother seemed to assume that I would never marry. I was a late-bloomer - a socially shy and awkward kid. The first time I was asked on a date, I was a freshman in COLLEGE, for pity's sake!

The guy wasn't anything special, but hey - the first date is something special. When I breathlessly told my mother and grandmother that I would be going out with a guy on Friday evening, my mother (already well into her cups) slurred, "No, you're not." as if I had said I had been hired by NASA to go to the Moon or something. She didn't believe me!

Stunned, I looked at my grandmother. I could see that she, too, was shocked by my mother's bizarre response.

Throughout the week, I kept talking about the upcoming date, to drive home the message that it was real and it would happen. She acted like I was a fanciful child, making it up.

When my date arrived to pick me up, my mother (drunk yet again), demanded to know who the he!! was parking in HER driveway. I said quietly, "It's the guy I'm going out with, Mom. I've been telling you all week."

The next several minutes were a train wreck. I had warned my date that my mother would most likely be drunk and belligerent, so he was at least somewhat prepared. She went after him like a fire-breathing dragon.

She took a pad of paper and a pen out to the driveway, writing down the make, model, and license plate of his car. She told him that I was to be home by eleven o'clock, and if I was not, she would call the police. I believe she would have, too.

I have no recollection of what we did on that date. I was too upset by my mother's behavior. Eventually, she accepted the fact that I had grown up and was old enough to go out with guys. She questioned me relentlessly every month whether "that time" had begun yet, and threatened to take me to a doctor if it didn't start within another day or two.

My grandmother, who had been a registered nurse herself, was just about the kindest, most loving grandmother a person could have. When I confided in the privacy of her little cottage, lovingly built by her son, my dad, right next door to our family house, that mother was constantly threatening to take me to the doctor, she said, "That might not be the worst thing." She asked me if I was still a virgin, and I truthfully assured her that I was.

She said, "If she makes you go to a doctor, and the doctor verifies that you are a virgin, he might tell your mother to stop wasting his time with her over-active imagination."

In later years, I asked some of my older cousins why my mother was constantly accusing me of sexual behavior, when I hadn't yet "done the deed." My aunt, Mother's older sister, laughed and said, "Your mother sowed plenty of wild oats herself, back in the day. She's accusing you of what she did, herself."

My mother was a wonderful guidebook of how NOT to parent. I hope I have done better with my own children.

My grandmother - Anna Margarethe Grantke, born in Meseritz, Posen, Germany, was the REAL mother in my life. I will always cherish her memory.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 11:57PM

Date: September 19, 2017 12:45AM

We have a wonderful community here.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 02:38AM

Date: September 18, 2017 11:58PM

This, too. Would we have an understand of why those things were going to happen? That might lessen the blow.

Posted by: AfraidOfMormons ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 02:42AM

Being married for time and eternity to the bully ex-husband who beat me and raped me.

Oh wait, according to the Mormon cult, I still am!

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 03:11AM

Living in the CK, married to my arrogant, narcissistic ex husband having to sing hallefuckinglujah to him and our asshole God for all eternity. All this while having endless amounts of babies...

That would be my idea of the worst hell.

Date: September 17, 2017 01:08PM

Hahaha hallefuckenlujah, thats definitely a classic now.

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 04:01AM

Living in a place where the only clothes available are the temple clothes (endowment ones).
And the only music available is the one which attract the spirit.
A Weird and boring hell.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 04:07AM

I tend to think that the traditional Christian/Mormon version of Heaven would be my worst Hell -- being forced to bow and scrape to a tyrannical God for eternity sounds like a particularly exquisite form of torture, far worse than fire and brimstone.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 04:09AM

Exactly.

Date: September 17, 2017 02:20PM

It does sound pretty bad when you really think about it, i am not sure why its so coveted.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 05:31AM

Living the eternities with my family anywhere in close proximity.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 02:32PM

The thought of never seeing my beautiful parents again.

That very fear is how mormonism dupes people.

Posted by: upended ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 02:49PM

I think I've survived my worst hell, and it was a childhood and youth that damaged my body so badly, at 41, my crippled back had me screaming in agony, in so much pain I begged to die. It was worse than the original injuries. I could survive the youthful traumas again, but would never want to be 41 again.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 02:57PM

I don't know what the worst hell would be but changing toilet wax rings must rank right up there somewhere.

Date: September 17, 2017 03:03PM

I would change a wax toilet ring every Sunday at the Rescue Mission rather than sit through sacrament meeting.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 03:14PM

Even if all the seating in the chapel were vibrating barcaloungers, and taking of the sacrament involved a menu?

Date: September 19, 2017 12:00AM

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: September 17, 2017 04:54PM

Living every day is the worst hell. I'm grateful I no longer believe in life after death.

Date: September 17, 2017 05:00PM

I can relate.

Date: September 18, 2017 12:17AM

Knowing that my ex died wrongfully and not being able to do one fucking thing about it.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 18, 2017 03:20PM

Oh gawd. I'd be like "can't you send me to that place where I would just burn forever in a lake of fire?"

Date: September 19, 2017 12:01AM

Date: September 18, 2017 11:56PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.