Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 09:36AM

Check out the bloke in the clear bin bag...

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/hasidic-blindfolds?llid=1rj2m&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fbpdliquids&utm_term=40RO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 09:38AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 09:37AM

Well, that's incredibly stupid...

But it's light years better than "make the women cover themselves up so I don't see them and get tempted!"

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 11:53AM

Well GOOD! I say. If a man doesn't want to see women, then he should be the one to take preventative steps. Although it seems really dark glasses would be better. But why should women be the ones who are inconvenienced?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 10:08AM

the fruits of religion

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 12:50PM

It's about time. Some Muslim women are required to wear burkas so they won't tempt the men. Or in other words, it's the men who can't control themselves that are the problem, not the women. It's about time someone blindfolded the men to prevent them from acting out on their uncontrollable carnal urges. (And for the record, I am a man. And no, I don't blame women for any problems I may have.)

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 01:02PM

Why don't they just pluck their eyes out like a real old testament program? Pussies.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 05:02AM

What would be really good is if they walked into a tree.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 01:12PM

Sadly, it's not from 'The Onion'.....

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 01:23PM

They might change their viewpoint if the rule were changed to "kick men in the family jewels every time they see a woman and have an erection in public". That kind of conditioning would probably get the desired effect faster and more permanently.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 02:50PM

They should charter a coach, instead.

Date: September 21, 2017 05:04AM

What about all those women with heaving, exposed breasts standing by the side of the road?

Date: September 21, 2017 08:32AM

CateS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about all those women with heaving, exposed
> breasts standing by the side of the road?

I want to move to where you live, Cate...:)

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 03:10PM

There's all kinds of crazy. And to think they removed religion from the DSM...

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 03:15PM

I just saw that earlier... it looks ridiculous.

Religion makes people act crazy.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 05:48PM

Yes, it does. It makes people wear smothering underwear, day and night, to protect us. FROM WHAT?

That alone is CRAZY. But, most of us did it for years.
Not anymore, I am FREE.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 09:56PM

I hear ya cute kitty.... We Be Free.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 03:42PM

I don’t want to be a bigot or a racist. I don’t want to equate these actions with religious belief. I don’t want to condemn (or praise?) a religion based on the actions of some of its followers.

So, this is fantastic. Or, this has nothing to do with religion.

Pick whichever response feels best.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 05:40PM

Wrapping yourself in a giant condom guarantees that you won't get any of the passengers pregnant.

Date: September 20, 2017 07:11PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> Wrapping yourself in a giant condom guarantees
> that you won't get any of the passengers pregnant.

Sure.
But, according to a number of "abstinence only" advocates, just the sight of a condom makes people want to have sex.

So wouldn't wrapping yourself in a condom (by their 'logic') make people want to have sex with you?

Oh, the conundrums...:)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 06:59PM

I think that airlines should be allowed to refuse to seat a man who is completely covered in a plastic bag. And as for the Hasidic man who wanted the woman sitting next to him on a flight to change her seat...just no. There is no way that I would have changed my seat to accommodate him. I want to add that this incident makes me feel *enraged* as a female. I've bought a certain seat, and you don't want to sit next to me because I am a woman? Not my problem. YOU move. If this man had made an issue of it, I probably would have gotten thrown off of the plane. But I would have made him very, very unhappy in the process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 07:15PM by summer.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 07:29PM

because they respect education, and tend to do well in whatever profession they choose. And, not to sound like a cliché, but I do have Jewish friends. One of my all-time dearest Jewish friends goes all the way back to college days.

Has anybody pointed out that gazing over a cemetery is not the same as looking at dead people, because the vast majority of them are boxed and buried?? Out of sight and all that.

When I am on an airplane, I tuck my elbows in, so as not to violate a seatmate's personal space. I try to get an aisle seat, because I hate having to crawl over people. (And it is physically very difficult, due to limitations.) And I do not routinely engage strangers in conversation. I always have a couple of good-sized books with me, and keep my nose happily secured there, minding my own business.

If anybody gets hot and horny over this 70-year-old, silver-topped old body, they have more problems than I can address on a public forum.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 08:08PM

Beyond being an offensive request, in my family we would be seated as this couple was because the men in my family are over 6 feet tall. In order to help them feel comfortable and get a little extra leg room they get the front seat in the car and the aisle seat in an airplane (given a choice about it.) No way would I switch because someone's tender religious sensibilities are offended by sitting next to a woman.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 09:51PM

catnip Wrote:
> Has anybody pointed out that gazing over a
> cemetery is not the same as looking at dead
> people, because the vast majority of them are
> boxed and buried?? Out of sight and all that.

The man in the plastic bag is Ultra-Orthodox, and is also (obviously) a kohain (the hereditary Israeli priesthood going back to ancient times). Put these two together, and the result (in this case, anyway) is a man totally encased in a plastic bag because of the knowledge, or the possibility, that the airplane would be flying over one or more cemetaries.

Like pork (for example), dead bodies are a source of ritual impurity. This is why observant Orthodox Jewish kohain males cannot become rabbis: rabbis are regularly made ritually impure by their proximity to dead bodies (mostly: the members of their congregations, when those members die, and are then buried).

The ultra-Orthodox are quite rigid about this kind of ritual impurity, the "merely" Orthodox not quite so much (though it is still observed by many "merely" Orthodox Jewish males too)...

...and there has been (in the past) legal argument about whether Conservative Jewish males who are kohainim should go into the rabbinate. (Conservative Judaism is between all of the various kinds of Orthodox Judaism on the one side, and the other Jewish movements/"denominations" on the other side; Conservative Judaism is not exactly a "midway" point, but it is a kind of "center," and it serves as "the center" in the line of Jewish movements.)

It would be unusual for a Reform ["liberal"] Jewish male who is a kohain to NOT go into the rabbinate because of their future, virtually certain, proximity to dead bodies. (Reform Judaism is generally acknowledged to be the "most" liberal Jewish movement, although there are newer contemporary movements that are more "liberal" than Reform is: Jewish Renewal, and Secular Jewish Humanism, to name two of them.)

Ritual impurity from dead bodies extends both "up" and "around"---to the point where highly-observant Orthodox Jews will not use certain bridges because they are built over cemeteries (and if I am remembering correctly, some of these bridges are in the greater New York City general area).

I have never before heard of someone sitting inside a closed plastic bag in an airplane, but it does make Jewish legal sense.

At least the man is not demanding that the airline certify that it will not fly over any cemeteries, or allow the aircraft to wander over any unanticipated cemeteries below, and there was no demand that the flight pattern of the aircraft be changed to insure that these outcomes occur. I think credit should be given where credit is due: the guy just individually made sure, for himself, that he WOULD be protected from any stray ritual impurity that the plane might inadvertently pass through. [My first sarcasm tag EVER... /s !!! :D ]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 02:48AM by Tevai.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 02:01AM

I try to be respectful toward other people's beliefs (unless they try to foist them off on me, and then I get contentious.) When advanced mental gymnastics are required, as seems to be the case here, I really appreciate the time you took, to answer.

Date: September 21, 2017 02:52AM

:) :) :)

Date: September 21, 2017 05:08AM

That's all good and well but they didn't even have plastic in the ancient world.

How is that going to protect him?

Date: September 21, 2017 05:22AM

CateS Wrote:
> That's all good and well but they didn't even
> have plastic in the ancient world.

They didn't have airplanes in the ancient world, either. ;)

> How is that going to protect him?

The type of plastic used in plastic bags is not permeable, so any ritual impurity that the airplane might pass through would not touch this man's person.

I do wonder how he breathes, though. If that plane is bound for Israel, he has something like a fifteen hour flight ahead of him (as I remember), depending on where he took off, and if he had to change planes on the way. (When I few El Al to Israel, I flew LAX to JFK, where we changed planes for Ben Gurion.)

And I guess he waits until the plane is over water to get out of the plastic bag to go to the bathroom??? I dunno.

Date: September 21, 2017 08:37AM

Tevai Wrote:
> And I guess he waits until the plane is over water
> to get out of the plastic bag to go to the
> bathroom??? I dunno.

But what about the people buried at sea? No way to know where they are, and the "ritual impurity" might spread over the entire ocean...oh, no!

Somehow I'm reminded of Fiddler on the Roof...Tradition!
Tradition encased in plastic!

:)

Date: September 21, 2017 03:55PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> Somehow I'm reminded of Fiddler on the
> Roof...Tradition!
> Tradition encased in plastic!
>
> :)

:D :D :D

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: September 22, 2017 06:01AM

I remember the picture of the plane passenger when it first made the news, apparently he only covered himself until the plane passed over a cemetary near the airport, then he took it off. The original daily mail article made it sound perfectly acceptable, if somewhat ridiculous.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 12:20PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2307713/Pictured-Orthodox-Jewish-man-covers-PLASTIC-BAG-flight.html

But why would not the fully encased pressurized passenger section of the aircraft serve the same purpose?

There are only small ports to bring in compressed air that wouldn't be used until the plane was at altitude.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 08:18PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 08:45PM

I like the guys who wear plastic body bags on airplanes. When they suffocate themselves with ignorance, they're conveniently bagged.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 09:13PM

Snort!
Mess-free!

Posted by: fluhist not logged in ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 07:02AM

Honestly, if I was a man I would be insulted by all of this stuff, including the insistance on modesty by the LDS. I am not against modesty in dress, but think everyone is entitled to make up their OWN mind on what it is for them as individuals. It is also not my place to say people should not dress immodestly if they wish, but I DO hate that all these RIDICULOUS safeguards are all based on men's lack of control.

If men were as out of control as a lot these people seem to think they are there would be wholesale rape in the streets all the time. Men are aware of their sexuality, and admiring an attractive woman, no matter what their state of dress or undress, is part of that. 99.9% of men do not act on those admirations. I say, good for the men, and stop making them all out to be only just one thought from rape.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 08:12AM

Humans are sexual, there's no getting around that. Part of our innate chemistry/physiology/psychology are sexual urges. They are not going to go away no matter how we try to cover, wrap, and cloister them. What is ironic, however, is that the more we try to block them, the less it takes to arouse them. In the Victorian era when proper women were covered from neck to toe, the sight of an ankle would drive some men wild. In Japan, the heavy covering of traditional kimono gowns focused men's attention on women's necks to the point of fetishism.

Interest in sex and the appeal of the body is constant, and ever stricter standards of "modest" clothing is not going to make it go away. Modesty just refocuses attention to other parts of the body and intensifies interest on the parts that are covered. If a women is entirely covered, her entire body essentially becomes a sexual object.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.