Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 06:00PM

worthless

Last weeks SS lesson was on celestial marriage. I knew the guy teaching it and he is a TBM older Mormon. I thought I would hear what he had to say.

If you were Mormon, the lesson was great. get married in the temple, get sealed in the temple, etc. And what does not get done in this life, God will make right. Summary of the lesson, start submitting names for temple work and do the temple work yourself. If you are not temple worthy get temple worthy.

Nothing in the lesson about the history and evolution of Celestial Marriage. Nothing in there about a man having more than one wife in the next life like we used to teach. But if you do not want to be an angle that supports those who are worthy of the highest level in Celestial Kingdom, you know what you have to do.Get sealed!!

And if you do not partake of the temple stuff in this world, think of your ancestors not being together right now. How upset they are. Also we are the only Church that can seal people together. If people are married any other way, when they die they are no longer married. You have a responsibility to get them sealed, now.

So I am sitting there, listening. My wife passed 13 months ago. We were not sealed. Her daughter wanted me to get temple recommend and be sealed to her mum one year later on date of her death. I have not done that. I do not pay tithes. I have trouble supporting the top 15, etc. I have too many questions no one wants to answer. I know have faith!!!!

If I did not know what I know, I could have left that class feeling like crap.

I am having trouble with this ever changing Church. I am having trouble feeling that the love for my wife died when she died. I am having trouble that she might be feeling really bad that I have not gotten around to getting sealed. Maybe she got there and said, "I don't want to be sealed to this bum." Then I have paid back tithing for nothing!!! Do you get my point? Everything with Celestial Marriage is based on uncertainty.

Celestial Marriage is great if everyone is a true blue Mormon. My kids are inactive. I love my kids. How can a just God deprive a dad of his family? Or his wife he loves just because they have been sealed in the temple.

An interesting lesson but a waste of one hour of my time. Very few in the class participated in the discussion which indicated to me this is a problem subject for Church members.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 06:26PM

"Everything will be set straight in the hereafter."

Which immediately begs the question, with all eternity ahead, what's the hurry, Murray?

The church doesn't know the names of 99.9976% of the inhabitants of the earth, pre-Noah's flood. No way can their 'work' be done til Jesus comes back with a thumb drive with all that info on it.

And a large percentage of the post-flood population remains nameless, unrecorded. Temple work is a fraud, a make-work system, a foolish bit of flim-flam designed to keep our eyes off the magician's hands...

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 06:36PM

Yep the magicians hand that goes into your wallet. I didnt even know that you had to believe all 15 men were actual prophets, i had to say no every time to that question forget the masterbaiting question i couldnt even pass the 15 prophets one so that was the beginning of my out i knew it would just get worse and worse the farther i went down the rabbithole. And based on youtube and what everybody says it definitely does.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 06:46PM

When I was a young convert, I was taught that there could only be one prophet at a time. The others were supports to the the prophet. Close to being prophets, but not quite there yet. It was only a few years ago that they started this thing about all fifteen being prophets. This would have surprised many of the older members I knew back then.

Date: September 23, 2017 09:07PM

Well i thought it was one prophet as well and that might have been easier to believe. But all 15 now thats a little overboard power hungery brainwashing or something. I just thought of holland um nope. Well guess i am done with the religion thanks for making it easy for me.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 08:53PM

Oh, yes, that "everything will be set straight in the hereafter"....that is such a convenient fall back when the leaders do NOT have a clue what happens. When my bishop said that to me after I requested a temple divorce and was told "they don't do that anymore", I looked him in the face and asked "so my gay husband will become straight in the hereafter???????"......he had no answer.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 06:37PM

The way I believe now, real Christianity means what Jesus actually said it was: feeding the hungry, taking care of the poor, lifting up those who are sad, visiting the sick and the imprisoned.

He never said anything about a bunch of Mormon busy-work.

Date: September 23, 2017 09:08PM

Thats what i kind of thought as well.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 07:11PM

The whole celestial marriage thing is very painful to so many, but they just keep on harping on it.

My older sister's thing to say to the rest of us heathens is that she married in the temple and is still married. She uses the idea that our dead parents are proud of her. I always say, "Well, I got married in the temple and I'm still married." And I am still married.

CM is used as a weapon I think almost more than they use it for good.

I'm sorry that you lost your wife.

Date: September 23, 2017 09:09PM

The entire going into the temple was used as a weapon against me by the family.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 08:12PM

Please don't let them make you believe for one second the love between you and your wife is not eternal.

Love is eternal. If we're meant to be with our families and loved ones in the eternities we don't need a cult to make that a guarantee (or a sure sign of failure,) by how well we adhere to a cult's teachings.

The best way you'll be able to deal with that negativity is to reject it, rebuke it, and leave.

If you aren't able to do that, consider that you can marry in proxy to your beloved wife in the temple. (That's if you have any uncertainty about whether the cult is "true" or not, for your peace of mind.)

TSCC does not have a monopoly on heaven, who goes there, or the family circle if it is unbroken. If there is a God and he loves all his children, he will be no respecter of religions in the afterlife.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 08:28PM

I think it is heartbreaking. Last week I visited with a lady, a widow who was sealed after his death to the father of her daughter---and "although it wasn't a very happy marriage, I won't undo it, because there has to be a way for my daughter and granddaughter to come in."

Meanwhile, she loves a man in the church---they were planning to be married, but he isn't so sure he wants as his companion a woman who will not be his companion in the eternities---so now they are both enduring not being together, not having the joy of being really together now---because according to this pernicious doctrine, in order for her daughter and granddaughter to get to be with Father God in the CK someday, she has to stay sealed to this guy she didn't even like much, while staying alone now? grrrrr.

grrrrr.

Date: September 23, 2017 09:12PM

Sealed is such a weird thing to me and a weird thing to say now that i have been out a year. I always think of super glue, who the hell wants that? Not the badass.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.