Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caffiene consumer ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 10:22PM

I certainly did before 1996 when I was a tbm.When I quit attending the church,i felt liberated and felt like a novelty drinking cola which i never did before.I remember bringing this up for discussion in a mens priesthood class at Sunday church when this was being discussed.A man said man is not worthy if he drinks cola to be a bishop.It was clearly the understanding we had.

Now we hear of BYU not banning cola drinks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 10:36PM

No, I didn't.

Neither did the missionaries in my ward/stake (not a single one), and as I was a convert I never felt bad for doing it.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 11:07PM

Oh heck yeah.

The only 'caffeine' in drinks that was Mormon approved was hot cocoa or chocolate milk.

I craved chocolate during my years as a TBM. Now I realize it wasn't for the sugar, but for the caffeine 'fix' I didn't even realize it was until I gave myself permission to drink tea or coffee.

I still crave chocolate sometimes. Not nearly so much as I used to.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:52PM

There were a couple of years during the mid-70's when my mother and a lot of other women in the ward stopped using chocolate and used carob instead, since it doesn't contain caffeine. Carob is like chocolate like a handshake from a missionary is like sex. So, that didn't last long. Caffeinated sodas were absolutely forbidden in our household, though we knew other Mormons, even extended family, who drank coke. I felt very edgy as a teenager to drink coke on the sly.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 11:19PM

Nope. I drank them like a fish, spending way too much money to get a caffeine fix, plus they undermined my health. Coffee is so much cheaper and healthier. Many people are alive today because they insisted on a caffeine fix before getting behind the wheel.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 11:29PM

I wasn't allowed to as a kid. When I was a teenager, I drank Coke on the sly, like a petty criminal.

Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 11:47PM

I gave up caffeinated drinks when I was baptized as a convert. We raised our kids to not drink them. (And boy did I miss them!)

After 15 years of that my husband and I were at a ballgame and it was dreadfully hot. All they had was Pepsi, so we split one and promised not to tell the kids.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 11:48PM

Nope, neither did my TBM ex-husband who drank them as if they were about to be banned next as he drank them by the caseload. I will say that when I left the cult and cut way back on soda consumption, replacing it with coffee and tea, I lost weight. Now, a cola drink is considered a treat, as I'm more likely to drink coffee or tea instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2017 11:48PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 12:13AM

Oh hell no. Cold or hot...caffeine is my friend.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 12:14AM

Absolutely. They were forbidden in my house. Even caffeine-free coke was banned to avoid the appearance of evil/opening the door to tenptation.

There were always people in the ward who drank cola and, even though they passed their temple recommend interviews they were regardless as less righteous by the majority if the members. Anyone who says they have always been allowded either has been around the church very long, or is lying.

I mean, it's in the song "Mormon Rap," for crying out loud. "Don't drink soda pop if it has caffeine."

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 12:39AM

I don't like caffeine. It makes me feel horrible.

My kidneys knot up in my back and hurt like crazy. It is horrible wanting to go to sleep while being held in some sort of Hellish limbo by a caffeine buzz that prevents getting any rest.

.....Caffeine is a great punishment on brainless BYU students who are goofy enough to use it.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 01:01AM

I drank Jamocha shakes from Arby's throughout mission, BYU and never gave it a second thought.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 01:38AM

Never used caffeine and never intend to.

Been pondering lately the whole idea of using mind-altering chemicals. Trying to figure out philosophically the difference between using caffeine and heroin or whatever.

Sure, some have worse side effects, but where is the magic cutoff where you say no.

Guy I know said he finally quit caffeine and had big headaches for a few days.

Was mentioned above that people stay alive by drinking caffeine before driving. I saw kids at college who would delay studying until night before test, then depend on caffeine to bail them out.

So does caffeine just encourage bad habits?

So we teach kids to be dependent on mind-altering chemicals - caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, then we can't figure out what happened when they mess with worse stuff. Saw on 60 minutes that heroin is now an epidemic in all levels of society.

The general message we give kids is they can mess with their brain.

Saw my neighbor walking down the street Sunday so went to talk with him. He was saying crazy stuff, out of his mind. He asked to talk with me yesterday and apologized and assured me they don't do drugs regularly. Said he was raised in a home where parents used everything, and he went and visited family and used drugs that he hadn't had in 15 years.

Anyway, sometimes I wonder how I would be if I'd been raised in that culture.

The norm seems to be take one chemical or another to make your brain feel better, regardless of consequence. Apparently we are born into a state of drug deficiency.

There seems to be no case made for generally avoiding mind-altering drugs, other than god will punish you.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 01:04PM

sugar is much worse for you than caffeine. Are you really conflating caffeine with heroin? And I'm sure you've never had a donut.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 02:32AM

I loved iced tea since I was 4or 5. My parents went through a lot of churches; they even tried the Jws. I studied with the missionaries when I was in my early 20s, joining the church a few years later. Of course, by then I was addicted to tea, loved it, drank it all the time( I never liked pop though). When I joined, I stopped drinking tea for the first 5 years. I finally gave in around year 6, but only drank st home, never in public.
I remember a few members in the church who drank Motain Dew by the cases. They were truly shocked when some members told then it not only had caffeine, but it was a lot. I guess they thought it was like 7 up. I did know a few members in my young adult group Monday night who did drink some coffee

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 05:36AM

As a TBM I would have bled and died rather than drink a coca cola or iced coffee. I am pissed off that as soon as Mitt Romney was seen drinking pepsi, rather than face minor embarrassment TSCC chose to officially give in and accept the batsh!t crazy logic that hot caffeine is bad but cold caffeine is okay.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 11:09AM

Back in the 50's and 60's when I was young we never heard the caffeine thing. Everybody drank coke or whatever. We were super TBM and always drank coke.

Joseph said hot drinks and somebody specified coffee and tea. But nobody gave an explanation why since he was just borrowing from prohibition movements at the time and using them as retaliation against Emma's complaints about the spittoons in the temple. Joseph never used the word caffiene as far as I know although caffeine was discovered in 1819.

I think that it got to the point with the church that it seemed ridiculous to ban coffee and tea for no good reason and finally someone started using caffeine as the scape goat but it was never really official. Just rumor that picked up steam.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 01:26PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back in the 50's and 60's when I was young we
> never heard the caffeine thing. Everybody drank
> coke or whatever. We were super TBM and always
> drank coke.

In my TBM parent's version of MORmONISM, you would be considered jack MORmONS, which really means Non Member MORmON Members who are worse than people who have never been members of THE (MORmON) church, but still a better than people who dare to criticize MORmONISM, both groups being headed to less than the celestial Kingdom which means being Hell bound.

>
> I think that it got to the point with the church
> that it seemed ridiculous to ban coffee and tea
> for no good reason and finally someone started
> using caffeine as the scape goat but it was never
> really official. Just rumor that picked up steam.

.....you mean like the rumor that dark skinned people were inferior from before birth and unfit for the kingdom of god, a convention that went unchecked, unchecked as in being adamantly preached as doctrine, and somehow incorrectly became considered as doctrine in divinely guided MORmONISM - a little misunderstanding that had to be corrected because MORmONISM is really the greatest friend and advocate that people of color has ever had

.....like Gordon BS Hinckley said: MORmONISM stands for something !!! in a world of shifting values!

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 12:20PM

I did when the store was sold out of Coke!!

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 01:12PM

My parents insisted on the no caffeine thing, but that all changed when I was about 10, and I had a paper route, and on that route there was a soda machine that sold cans of soda for a quarter, and my older sister slyly recommended I try the Dr. Pepper, which I did. I've been battling addiction ever since.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 02:37PM

No way... caffiene was my life's blood, the drink for my engine... yadda yadda yadda... I called it the elixer of life.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 02:39PM

Huh!!

So I guess you're my yadda yadda yadda...

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 02:56PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Huh!!
>
> So I guess you're my yadda yadda yadda...

Ok ok so you dragged it out of me.... happy now???

;)

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 03:10AM

I live in the southeast US, where iced tea is regarded as the "housewine of the south." I went to a rural university where there were only 3 or 5 LDS students in the entire 10,000 member student body.

Coffee, tea, coke, Dr. Pepper -- the stuff was all over the place. And there was nobody to critisize you if you drank the stuff, or proclaim your exile to outer darkness... Everybody else drank the stuff too.

Yeah, you better believe I would drink coke and Dr. Pepper and (the real) Barqs root beet too. (The REAL Barqs root beer was taken over by the Coca-Cola company in the early 80s, and now the Barqs root beer is not the same caffeinated drink that it was when I was a kid.)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:10PM

and I loved it. I gave it up out of feelings of guilt and didn't drink caffeine again until after I had twins and was working swing shift a few nights a week, sometimes until 2 or 3 a.m., doing medical transcription at the hospital. I've quit it a few times in between, more out of feeling it isn't good for me. My ex used it as one of the things I was doing wrong that lowered his ability to resist temptation to have sex with other men.

My dad always drank coke. He used to buy it in gallons at the fast food places when they used to sell it in your refillable glass jug. We all drank it. My mother gave it up when I was young and never drank it again. She brought it up quite often. She would be SHOCKED by what just happened at BYU. It might have been the last straw for her.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 01:38PM

I have been out since 1998. I'm from the southeast (not sure that makes any difference, just running it by you.) When I left, drinking caffeinated colas was still treated like you were using crack. I even knew aquite a few people who thought it was very wrong to eat chocolate. Some people were shocked and complaining that the Washington temple sold chocolate ice cream. Jesustapdancingchristonacracker I'm so glad to be out of there.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 09:41PM

I drank cold caffeine and did not feel guilty.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.