Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 12:13PM

In last nights a Women's Conference, Sister Marriott who of course presides over the Young Women uttered these words to the unsuspecting youth and pre youth.

"We need to know that Plan of Salvation is to obey, obtain eternal life, and become as God is." This one sentence erases every single so-called gain people think the church is made towards women. This one sentence denotes subordination to men for eternity, polygamist marriage and all horrors that brings, and a life of instability and unpaid servitude to men, her children, and her church.

This one sentence proves that the mainstream LDS church is no different then the FLDS. It is just a matter of time. They believe exact same things .

She further went on to say "The Lord wants us to change selfishness into service, fears to faith.
* Christ can cleanse our inner vessel from pride. As this happens, our earthly relationships grow. We sacrifice personal agendas for God’s plan."

I would like to do some translating of those two sentences as a young woman who went through this horrible organization. The change that they want us to make is to literally a Bandan and sacrifice our educational and professional lives. The pride that we are meant to be cleansed from is the pride and the confidence that comes from personal success and being able to support ourselves financially outside of the dependence of a man. This also includes knowing exactly where your boundaries are between paid work and service. The woman who truly knows her worth will not spend the majority of her week and unpaid service. However the church cannot survive without the women working for free so they give us messages to the women, The young women.

I remember being that young woman who heard these messages and yet he was going to school every single day and put all these messages to the back of my mind. I was living in the United States of America and there is just no way people in this country could expect me to give up my financial security and my ambition. And education and professional career and freedom that comes from that. Surely that is not what "my heavenly father" wanted for me. It was not until I was safely graduated from high school that I began to clearly see what my temple Covenanted parents and grandparents were willing to do to sabotage every single attempt I made at self efficiency. I went on a mission to save myself. There was not a single penny set aside for me and there was no support and anything I attempted to do other than marriage.

These messages the youth are receiving are dangerous in every way. These girls foolishly think they are free. But they are not. Just as it is when they are born in a circle of men stand above them "blessing them" to be good Mormon citizens, The circle only widens as these children grow into adulthood and find that they were never born to be free. Freedom comes only if you win the war that you have to fight for your own sovereignty. And that war will bring you to your knees.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 12:21PM

I'm so glad we figured out the truth about TSCC before my little girl became indoctrinated (she was 8). This is one of the main reasons we resigned. We didn't want her to grow up thinking she was less-than because she's female. She's now a teen and sees all the TBM girls in school and can't figure out why they are ok with thinking as they do.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 12:33PM

Obedience is for dogs. I think that what I need to be is a decent human being, not a rule-follower. And by and large, I am.

As for service, for most women service to their families and occasionally neighbors is plenty. Some also serve through careers such as education, medicine, social work, military defense, national security, etc. Some serve in their communities, trying to make the community a better place for all. There are many ways to serve other than at the Mormon church.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 12:42PM

The guilt religion applies to thinking for oneself is so deplorable. I still wonder to this day why I subjected myself to obedience over freethinking and feeling so guilty for doing so. I'm so glad I'm out and free. So much happier and loving person then I was when I was in the cult.

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 01:59PM

Heard a blurb about the meeting on local radio this morning on my way to get coffee. They played back the talk of someone (didn't catch the name) really pressing the women on 'what they believe'. The tone of the speaker sounded somewhat desperate. The reports I have read indicate the men are leaving ChurchCo @ a far greater and more rapid rate than the women and yet it seems that these female LDS leaders are really taking to the sisters.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 06:47PM

I don't understand why they're so desperate. The other part of the baby making enterprise is already leaving the church, so their business model is already broken. Keeping in the young women won't keep the Mormon production line going.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 06:35PM

I remember when Hinckley talked with Larry King on live T.V. that Mormons don't preach, and never did preach, that they are to become like God. Come on people. Get your stories straight.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 12:47AM

Man, I wish I had control over my wife when we were in the church. I had to beg for sex. The obedience thing only happened when she wanted to.

I also wish she wasn't dependent on me. I can't get her to get a job. Most men I know wish their wife would get out and help earn some money, but they'd rather hang out at home.

Seems that feminism isn't working too well.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 09:47AM

define "feminism"

Date: September 25, 2017 09:49AM

delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 09:49AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 10:22AM

"It was not until I was safely graduated from high school that I began to clearly see what my temple Covenanted parents and grandparents were willing to do to sabotage every single attempt I made at self efficiency. I went on a mission to save myself. There was not a single penny set aside for me and there was no support and anything I attempted to do other than marriage"

First, thanks for monitoring what's going on in GC, keeping us informed, and your excellent point. Now, regarding the quote I excerpted:

Can you give us more examples, the subtle signals, the overt statements and acts? An institutional example I've heard is the ward-level recognition boys get for genuine achievement in Scouts; what girls get is little more than participation trophies for simply moving into the next age group. Lori, you specify lack of financial support; what else did your "covenanted parents and grandparents...do to sabotage every single attempt (you) made at self-sufficiency"?

Female posters, your own experiences, please?

Date: September 25, 2017 07:32PM

Making sure I had no funds for college, making sure I had no idea what college even meant. Making sure I knew that if I pursued a good job they would literally kick me out of the house. Making sure after I fled and did very well outside of their control that I was not allowed To come back home or ever have any communication with any of my family members ever to come back home or ever have any communication with any of my family members ever again again.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 12:56AM

They always lead with obedience. How can adults take that tripe? Just obey. It's like that movie, "They Live," which is highly recommended. In the movie, secret, nefarious signs read: Obey. It was the scariest thing the writers could imagine, and Mormons do it openly, and without proper shame. They are some scary freaks.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 06:00AM

The obedience aspect of being a good morgbot worked better as children. We didn't know enough to question authority in grade school. Sometimes even as we got older.

The questioning minds who want justifiable answers for the dogma began in earnest for me as a teenager.

It takes integrity and honesty to challenge the indoctrination and a literal breaking away of everything we once trusted as the God's truth, as former Mormons.

Young women may be more pliant and programmable than the young men are. The church may be bargaining on this. In the changing world we live in, the youth will be the next generation of those exiting the cult in larger numbers than what we've known in ours.

The church may be bracing for that inevitable eventuality. It cannot stop the tide by insisting it have its way.

Those who stay behind are those who question the least. Intellectuals and just plain truth seekers don't and won't stay to endure the programming bought into by their elders.

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 06:46AM

Amyjo Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------ > Young women may be more pliant and programable than the young men are. The church may be bargaining on this. In the changing world we live in, the youth will be the next generation of those exiting the cult in larger numbers than what We've known in ours.

Young women tend to be more programable because they relate obedience with matureness (mormon ones) and at least in Argentina YW (mormon or not) love thinking they are mature even when they clearly aren't (a lot of these then become teen moms).
And I agree that the youth will be the next generation to left the cult in larger numbers than we have ever known.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 09:23AM

"We sacrifice personal agendas for God’s plan."

Funny how "god's plan" always involves men ordering women around, and taking dozens of them as effectively sex slaves for eternity, isn't it?

Date: September 25, 2017 09:50AM

How come god's plan is always the same plan as mormon church ?

Date: September 25, 2017 09:54AM

Exactly! God always need his needs met by women.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 10:23AM

Yeah, you'd think narcissistic men were making up what "god's plan" is or something, huh? :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 10:33AM

Lori C and female posters, please check my post above (right under Atheist Dave's). I'd appreciate your further thoughts and actual experiences on the ways family and LDS community discouraged or even suppressed personal growth and opportunity.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 11:55AM

Obey,obey,obey. Make yourselves ready to become polygamous wives and endlessly be pregnant. Good times are coming! put on a little lipstick but don't become a licked cupcake!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 12:14PM

You know, when my FIL died, my MIL was put into an arranged marriage with a guy she didn't like, but she accepted because she believed in submission to males, and because she couldn't support herself. She spent the following years of her life being emotionally and physically abused by an emotionally sick and demented old high councilman. This is what Mormonism is to obedient women.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 10:10PM

Robotic, mechanical, company store messages from the masters to the masses: BUY OUR Brand. Wear Our Brand. Do what we say. Hell No, say!

What she might be saying (implying) [showing] is she doesn't know who she is, or what she is saying (quasi) [“talk”]/ forced to say [by the man/ the "spirit"/ the limited knowledge, resources and intelligence she - and her ‘church’ - allows her(self) to access], or how to glow or where to grow with it.

Mormons are/ can be so dumb! (Everyone knows that). As the pyramid's plan. She ISN'T ALLOWED to think for herself - EVEN IN HER OWN HOME - so naturally she couldn't preach to the choir unless it was on these pre-planned, pre-dipped, prescribed scripts.

Wouldn't it be nice if these people would get with humanity and reality and realize ETERNITY has no beginning and no end, so you can't “PLAN” for 'Salvation', or ‘eternal life’... YOU'RE [supposed to be] LIVING IT - Life! That's all that's really for sure! And if you live it well… Well, this or that life or experience or fantasy may be true, radical, cool, wild, vivid, dull, strange or unbelievable but freakin’ 'ETERNITY' isn't something that's GOING TO HAPPEN. IT'S HAPPENING! The passing now. The perpetual moment. The what's happening at any point in what we live in and see through as time.

Joe thought he could twist time, but twisted people instead, who tend to twist a lot of their time up into bundles of nothing true or important and smoke them all away, in the name of, Jesus Christ, somebody corrupted these latter day saints… Mormons will probably be the only ones that don't get any time after death. Live Now People! Just in case, by God.

I thought, as a teenager… Been doing it every since… Sometimes it has gotten me into trouble. Sometimes it's brought me out, or helped me avoid it all together. Sometimes it hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. It's sure helped (thinking, or meditating/ exercising/ working/ sleeping/ yoga/ not thinking) in what would otherwise be thought of as dullness or boredom or apathy/depression. She doesn't want the youth to THINK. She couldn't, and can't.

WE Must think for ourselves!
Who else will do it for us, or as good or deeply, creatively, independently and FREELY enough? Nobody

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.