Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 04:17PM

Guys I am shocked... but shocked in a good way. My family knows of my removal from the church. I told my father first, since lately our relationship has grown, and he replied with "that was balsy." He took it well. My mother is okay with it so long as I don't "deconvert" anyone. My family who I am staying with are okay with it too. They are aware I am an adult and still love me for me. They also know of relationship with a girl and still love me even though they don't understand. I feel like they are softening a bit. God™ is good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 04:21PM

"... when thou art converted, strengthen (balsy) thy brethren"

If "missionary work" is good for the goose its good for the gander. I can't help but share the happiness I've found ... at being OUT !!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 04:38PM

I'm glad that it went well!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 04:40PM

Congratulations. One, for having the courage to tell them. Two, for having family who is wise enough to not "shun" you for believing differently than they do. Three, for being out of the cult.

You scored :)

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 04:41PM

Good surprises in life are always welcome.
I am very happy all finish in good terms, so now Enjoy!

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:53AM

As long as you don’t “deconvert” anybody???
So it’s ok to shove their beliefs down your throat, but you are expected to remain silent? That’s abusive.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:59AM

^^^^^ Agreed. Glad you have the weight off your shoulders, but telling you not to deconvert anyone is bull$hit. You do not have to listen to that, otherwise they still have power over you.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:42PM

I'm happy for you that there was no scene and they were on their good behavior. Good for you telling them! The weight of pretending can get pretty heavy.

Not to be Debby Downer but there will probably be some aftershock. Your family is still in the lie and as regular church goers they will be getting regularly indoctrinated on how to deal with family members who leave. Unless they have doubts as well, you may get a few low punches or snarky remarks now and again when you least expect it. I may be wrong, not knowing your kin, but there is a good chance they will not just shrug this off. If they are the kind of people who don't care what others think of them, you may have an easy time of it. But as believers, they are being taught that they have failed and they will not be with you in the eternities. Just be prepared for at least a little bit of resistance to you leaving.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 04:43PM

I am happy for you. That's not the case for everyone who has left the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.