Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 10:39AM

If you can’t believe EVERYTHING a prophet says, why would you believe ANYTHING a prophet says?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 10:43AM

Well said razor, but a prophet doesnt even write his own talks anyways. You can tell her that as well its not even his own words.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:10AM

For some reason it doesn't bother Mormon's to move away from a belief that becomes ugly, saying it was not doctrine (blacks and priesthood). Then they move forward knowing that "this time" its really god speaking, just like the leadership's gay issue now.

As long as leadership keeps changing its spots they keep the doctrine comfortable, and most Mormon's are fine with it. I think it is the same with findings of Book of Mormon DNA, a prophet marrying a 14 year old girl, and every other uncomfortable past history in Mormonism. It just doesn't faze most members.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:12AM

Isn't there a quote in the bible about a prophet being wrong once--means he's not a prophet?

I know GC talks aren't prophecy generating but it's about the same thing.

Posted by: BeatMeatSparingly ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 02:34PM

There is, but it doesn't work for most Mormon prophets. Joe and some others failed the test, but most Church presidents haven't prophesied anything.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 11:13AM

My TBM father took this approach....you only have to believe in the messenger. If you believe the messenger, then you can always believe the message.

I didn't agree.

Posted by: Done and Done ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 01:09PM

So you shot the messenger as they say? :)

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 02:10PM

Pretty much. I didn't believe the message or the messenger in his case.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 12:58PM

It’s only the word of God when you agree with it.

Date: September 26, 2017 01:03PM

Yep you got it every mormon believes something different.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 01:02PM

For some reason my mind flipped it to "If you can't believe ANY THING a prophet says, why would you believe EVERYTHING?" Some how that seems more accurate for the TBMs I know. I can't explain it, but it does.

Date: September 26, 2017 01:03PM

Haha indeed

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 01:17PM

Wait. I know. I know. I remember the answer to this one:

"You will receive blessings in heaven for following the prophet, even if you believe he's wrong. Obedience is the first law of heaven!"

Line up for blessings:

http://growing4life.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/cliff-ideas-sheep.jpg

Posted by: nonotojojo ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 01:25PM

Obedience is also the first principle of every totalitarian government on earth.
In 1776 the criminals and tax cheats told King George to shove his obedience principle.

Date: September 26, 2017 02:57PM

Yep i am still wondering where my castle is.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 01:52PM

I've said this many times but never tire of saying it because its so awesomely true. The best way to defend that the Church is true is to demonstrate quickly/effectively how the Church's website (along with every leader, organization, and meeting) indeed makes it so crystally clear that the Church is the most truthful, honest, transparent, and responsible organization out there. If it wasn't so honest/transparent then people could easily have Doubts about the church, think its a fraud, and this would cause the Church's marvelous reputation some tremendous harm. That's why its so critical to be so super honest :) And thanks to the principles of Continuing Revelation (along with the "Chat with Representatives" feature at http://www.mormon.org) you can quickly clear up any misunderstandings on the eternal unchanging holy doctrines without any unreasonable delay as you see the missionaries (and everyone in their chain-of-command up to the FP/12) work super diligently to get you accurate complete honest answers on these things :) When people check this out for themselves and see the missionaries (and their leaders) be so good at being so completely honest/transparent then it makes those pesky anti-Mormons look like idiots, makes us followers look like very credible people, and causes investigators to think "gosh what a super honest/transparent Church full of such open-minded honest people and I think I will read/ponder/pray about their message so I can get confirmation that its true".

Yes you are correct that if we can't believe everything a prophet has ever said then we really can't be sure if we can believe anything they have ever said. However I could never ever question whether or not they have ever said anything that I couldn't believe because that would be what's called a Doubt. It could get me fried at Judgment Day so I got to be as closed-minded as possible on such ideas. So instead of entertaining such Doubts I should focus my efforts on other things. For example, I suppose I could do some missionary work and do my very best to show the world that us Mormons are super honest and open-minded people :)

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 03:22PM

Well please don't judge the glorious perfect Church of never changing eternal doctrines over my own imperfections. But my first sentence somehow got lost.

What the wolves in sheep clothing will say is that its ok to think that every once in a while that a Church president will say something non-doctrinal and then for us to later think it could be false. But we know that to ever suggest that what a deceased Church president ever said, especially if in a sacred setting such as a General Conference talk or sermon in the Journal of Discourses, is not true then it would cause any honest person to have Doubts and I suppose that this will lead to them to having their souls BBQ'ed at Judgment Day. Thus we got to presume that whatever these holy Brethren taught has got to be the gospel truth.

For example, have any of you ever read the sacred sermons of Brigham Young about marriage or racial harmony? What a marvelous legacy of constancy in our beloved eternal doctrines they make for the 21st century and beyond into all eternity ;)

Date: September 26, 2017 04:21PM

Your posts are beyond exhausting to read i cant do it anymore. You are on your own honest tbm i think the church toilets need to be cleaned.

Posted by: Brain ( )
Date: September 26, 2017 04:32PM

I think you missed the obvious satire.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.