Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 10:36AM

A phrase from Judaism which means "to repair the world."

It has a range of meaning---including that one looks after one's own and one's family's well-being: (spiritual, mental, moral, and physical) and also by one's behavior and acts of kindness, generosity, helpfulness, and justice, to bring goodness wherever one is, to influence one's society to benefit everyone.

Lovely, no? =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 10:46AM

Yes, it is.

:)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 11:20PM

Yes, it is. :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 11:15AM

Hasa diga

Date: September 28, 2017 11:46AM

Dave: Hasa Diga is a complete non-sequeter here: Tikkun olam is about taking ACTION. Doing something. Making a difference. It is a framework out of which action comes.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 12:00PM

"Like button"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 28, 2017 12:08PM

You wanted foreign phrases, I gave you a foreign phrase.
Stop complaining.
Speak mericun or leave the country !

Date: September 28, 2017 07:51PM

Wow, Dave, that was friendly. What happened to dialog?

Date: September 29, 2017 08:53AM

In case you are still reading, Dave,---I apologize. From your point of view, Hasa Diga wasn't irrelevant after all; your exquisite radar did indeed pick something up that was there.

Nevertheless, Tikkun Olam I think is a gem, even if it is in a place you wouldn't be looking for gems---in religion (of any kind).

I've always thought Nietzche was an exceptionally brave man.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 06:58PM

"Hasa diga" was hilarious within its own context, but please don't try to muddy the tranquil waters that OP was trying to visualize.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 27, 2017 08:15PM

Absolutely lovely.

Thanks for this, relievedtolearn. :)

Date: September 27, 2017 10:37PM

Thank YOU; lovely to share something lovely, eh? =)

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 03:34PM

Mormon-Jewish connection...? I married a Jew and in my wife's synagogue we counted 13 (!) other ex-mormon-married-to-Jew couples. More than any other mixed marriages combined! Weird huh?

I wish mormons would actually go to the services in the Jewish synagogue. They all claim to be "just like Jews" but they are far from it.

The music alone is worth it. Never have I heard such beautiful music in a religious service. The Jewish music is much more nuanced and more epic-feeling. The notes tell the story of the universe and its creation and asks the listener to open up to the cosmic perspective before reading from the Torah. I don't believe in god BUT there is something to that music...something enthralling.

One of the tenants of Judaism is to question everything. Something mormonism lacks...

Posted by: touchstone ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 03:38PM

Question everything? Why should we do that? What do you mean?

One of the first things I remember hearing from my first rabbi was that Judaism was more a religion of questions than of answers. Today I pray for the wisdom and courage to ask the best questions.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 04:00PM

Talking about the music, Kol Nidre(I) is breathtaking.Tonight Yom Kippur starts

Date: September 29, 2017 07:01PM

The music is compelling and exquisite.

Like anything else human beings get involved with, Judaism, Christianity--those are what I am familiar with, somewhat, besides, now, Mormonism as revealed by the lives of DH and you guys----

can turn into "religion"---from Latin, this means to be bound again---not something any of us wants to be. But also there are wonders: beauty, depths--and deep responds to deep.

The Word---I love it. Torah, Tanach, New Testament---and the love of people who love it is also wondrous. One might learn from hearing about the people who have transmitted it, protected it, translated it----One might learn much from reading it. Unless you read Hebrew and Greek, and are a scholar of ancient cultures, you are reading a translation. If you have studied a second or more languages, you understand that there are issues in translation---issues that include cultural background as well as what words mean--often cannot really be tranferred word-for-word, but must include explanation of context and culture. That's exciting. And yes, a place for much exploration and questioning. It's fun. An adventure.

One possible way to see the New Testament in more Jewish eyes is to think of Rabbi Yeshua and Rabbi Paul---teaching---Read Isaiah and become familiar with it, then read Mark.

For those who are especially concerned with how religion responds to human need, read Isaiah 58. It is beautiful.

And I don't know what the priest, rabbi, bishop---of one's local congregation has said, but I am quite sure GOD welcomes questions. =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2017 07:03PM by relievedtolearn.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.